HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Question re: drivers.

Is it or is it not their job to enforce fares? I've heard it both ways on here.
I think the job of the drivers is to put in some effort to request the fare be paid but when it moves into overt non-compliance by the passenger the driver would normally radio a report to dispatch and potentially have a supervisor come to the bus and deal with the situation en route.

It seemed like the planned job action today was meant to encourage transit users to be overtly non-compliant in paying fares which the drivers would then use as a reason to overload dispatch and the supervisors with reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
\Why would they sit with the door open waiting for your fare?
It is a passenger safety issue. If you are in front of the yellow line (aka back of the drivers seat) and standing you could be launched through the front window of the bus in an emergency breaking situation.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 9:43 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I had a medical appt. at HSC today. Rode the 29 Sherbrook at 9:55 am. Driver says "Hi". I replied "Hi" and sat down. Lots of room to sit. Said "thank you" upon leaving bus.

Left HSC at 12:45 pm and rode the 12 William. Said "Hi".

Heard two middle aged minority women at Concert Hall Stn. One says that she is paying her fare, the other tells her that it is FREE today and that she is not paying.

Rode the 44 Grey London to KP. I'll write about that in the Construction thread.

Observation. Millennial riders, both domestic and foreign tended to pay their fare or show their card. Either they are stupid (unaware) or whatever. Aren't Millennial students the ones always complaining about the cost of living and student debt, yet one day they get a free ride(s) and ...

One woman on one of the buses I could hear coins being dropped into the farebox. FREE ride day lady!

Rode the 75 to Univ. of Manitoba.

Rode the 36 Sherbrook SuperExpress back home. Had enough bus riding today.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is a passenger safety issue. If you are in front of the yellow line (aka back of the drivers seat) and standing you could be launched through the front window of the bus in an emergency breaking situation.
When I get on the bus though. They leave the door open until my fare is paid. As in, if I did not pay the fare, they would tell me to get off the bus. Otherwise there's no need for the door to be open. Either way, I'll pay the fare and get on haha. Was just wondering.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 10:37 PM
Transit Nerd

I'm amazed they won't just strike already... clearly, the message isn't getting across very well.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There are already two crossings under/over the CP tracks barely a stone's throw away from Arlington. But OK.
There are already two crossings over the Assiniboine barely a stone's throw away from the Midtown Bridge. When its useful life is finished it can be dismantled and not replaced. The Donald St. South corridor can be replaced by an AT greenway and additional residential construction such as low to medium rise apartments and townhouses. If there's more traffic on the Osborne and Maryland bridges, tough. You can use the SWBRT the half billion dollar boondoggle that the rest of the city footed the bill for.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
^ I get that being a bus driver is not the easiest job, but even still, ATU has taken a very antagonistic stance toward the City. It will be interesting to see where that gets them with their negotiations.
A Work-to-Rule job action with a strong strike mandate is nothing. Expect more of it as almost all public sector workers are working without a contract and facing all levels of government stalling negotiations.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:23 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I had a medical appt. at HSC today. Rode the 29 Sherbrook at 9:55 am. Driver says "Hi". I replied "Hi" and sat down. Lots of room to sit. Said "thank you" upon leaving bus.

Heard two middle aged minority women at Concert Hall Stn. One says that she is paying her fare, the other tells her that it is FREE today and that she is not paying.

Rode the 44 Grey London to KP. I'll write about that in the Construction thread.

Observation. Millennial riders, both domestic and foreign tended to pay their fare or show their card. Either they are stupid (unaware) or whatever. Aren't Millennial students the ones always complaining about the cost of living and student debt, yet one day they get a free ride(s) and ...

One woman on one of the buses I could hear coins being dropped into the farebox. FREE ride day lady!

There's a big difference between something being free and payment not being enforced.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 1:44 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Edmonton Transit is still about 12 mos. away from introducing its frequent transit service. Their online material does not mention route names or numbers though.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...n-changes.aspx

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There are already two crossings over the Assiniboine barely a stone's throw away from the Midtown Bridge. When its useful life is finished it can be dismantled and not replaced. The Donald St. South corridor can be replaced by an AT greenway and additional residential construction such as low to medium rise apartments and townhouses. If there's more traffic on the Osborne and Maryland bridges, tough. You can use the SWBRT the half billion dollar boondoggle that the rest of the city footed the bill for.
Slight difference in traffic volumes, but OK. The 15,000 AADT on Arlington could probably be absorbed with ease by Salter and a widened McPhillips underpass.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:26 PM
Back from the dead

Sometimes I think some of you think that people in different neighborhoods are living in different countries or something.

We don't pay the bill for "your" services any more than you pay the bill for "ours". We ALL use the same roads. Yes, we use different roads more often but it's all part of the same whole. There is no "north/south" divide in this city. It's not "why do THEY get that in THEIR part of the city.", it's "Hey, look at what WE got!"

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 1:55 PM

As I mentioned in the construction thread. On my ride home, the driver covered the fare box and said don't pay. Much clearer than the guy in the morning.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:12 PM

Today is 100 year anniversary of 1919 general strike. Would've been a great opportunity for ATU to strike. Or at least do the fare enforcement thing today.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Transit wasn't free yesterday. The union was working to rule and not enforcing fares, but the fares still applied. Perhaps Millenials aren't stupid, but instead more ethical than others and don't need the threat of getting caught in order to do the right thing and not steal service.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:04 PM

I don't know that I'd call people who aren't paying fares today 'thieves'. Passengers are caught in the middle of a dispute between the City and the ATU. If a driver has his coat over the farebox and tells you not to pay, what are you going to do, rip the coat off and insist on paying?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:10 PM

Off topic but good article on transit:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:12 PM

Lol calling people stupid for paying a fare. Right. Stupid no brained millennial zombies!

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:00 PM

Just doing a little research, Ottawa's BRT started service in 1983, 36 years ago - and they are about to open LRT. It has been funded by agreements between the city, and various federal and provincial governments. I don't expect Winnipeg to have a Transitway along the lines of Ottawa's but we are probably back at about Ottawa's 1983 level when their's opened. It seems to be an endemic failure by successive governments to act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitway_(Ottawa)

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know that I'd call people who aren't paying fares today 'thieves'. Passengers are caught in the middle of a dispute between the City and the ATU. If a driver has his coat over the farebox and tells you not to pay, what are you going to do, rip the coat off and insist on paying?
Well actually, they are. If you don't pay for something that costs money, you are stealing. Whether or not the driver said contrary that doesn't change the fact that are breaking the law. There would be definite cause for dismissal if drivers (employees) are telling riders (customers) they don't need to pay for rides (inventory). It's one thing for drivers to turn a blind eye, and it's another for them actively to tell people not to pay.

Passengers aren't caught in the middle of anything – this is all the driver's directive, not the city's. And maybe "millenials" want to or are paying because they know this is a ridiculous, old-school, whiney way to deal with problems, and old union/employer relationships are absurdly antiquated.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 4:57 PM

I have to agree, If I was working at 7/11 and I told everyone they didn't have to pay for things when they came up to the til you can be sure I would be fired pretty quickly.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well actually, they are. If you don't pay for something that costs money, you are stealing. Whether or not the driver said contrary that doesn't change the fact that are breaking the law. There would be definite cause for dismissal if drivers (employees) are telling riders (customers) they don't need to pay for rides (inventory). It's one thing for drivers to turn a blind eye, and it's another for them actively to tell people not to pay.

Passengers aren't caught in the middle of anything – this is all the driver's directive, not the city's. And maybe "millenials" want to or are paying because they know this is a ridiculous, old-school, whiney way to deal with problems, and old union/employer relationships are absurdly antiquated.
I admire your dedication to principle but I just wouldn't care enough to get into it with a driver if I was getting on a bus and the farebox was covered. The City could take it up with the driver if they have a problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan