HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:10 PM

CHICAGO | Marina City TV Antennas

I have been looking for some time for information about the television antennas that were perched atop the west tower of Marina City in Chicago from the early 1960s to April of 1978. I know they were designed by White Way Sign Co., but they seem to have little or no information about them. I'd like to see any photos anyone has taken from whatever angle, photos of their removal (a photo appeared in the Chicago Tribune the day after de-construction started), or any other images anyone may have or know of. Marina City (complete with antennas) was and continues to be one of my favorite structures and I have the opportunity to photograph the building inside and out in April through the courtesy of two friends who live in the building. I'm looking to share these images - from parking garages and lobby to the roof - with you folks here at skyscraperpage. com. So, if anyone has information/images or whatever about these long-gone electronic gadgets that added a lot to the city's skyline back in the day, please reply. Thanks for your help in advance - there are some outstanding images here and you inspire me to get out my camera and start snapping!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:20 PM

From website marinacityonline (dot) com

http://www.marinacityonline.com/history/page12.htm

Plenty of pictures on site

Tower on top of tower

On December 1, 1961, a 12-foot-high cross weighing more than 600 pounds was hoisted to the 53rd floor of the east tower – as high up as it went at the time. Illuminated in red and facing south, the double-bar cross promoted Christmas Seals for the Tuberculosis Institute of Chicago and Cook County. It is now the symbol of the American Lung Association.

Early in January of the next year, the idea of a beacon and “range lights,” a pair of lights used for navigation, was being discussed for Marina City. It was proposed by John Magill, a columnist for the Chicago Daily Tribune. Mayor Daley responded to this by saying it was a “good idea.”

Then in October 1962, Chicago’s first commercial television station, WBKB (now WLS-TV), announced it would erect a 426-foot tower (285-foot mast supporting a 140-foot-six-inch antenna) on the west residential tower. 969 feet above ground, the top of the tower would be the highest point in Chicago. It was a rental agreement worth $1 million to Marina City.
The tower, built in 1964, featured a column of red lights that flowed upward when temperatures were forecast to increase, and downward when they were expected to drop. Slowly blinking lights meant a storm was approaching. Steady illumination meant no change.

Two rings of light at the base of the tower spelled victory (white) or defeat (blue) for a Chicago sports team. A third ring represented the WBKB “Circle 7“ logo.

The beacon was designed, built and maintained by White Way Electric Sign & Maintenance Company of Waukegan, Illinois. It was controlled from WBKB studios at Marina City.

WBKB started broadcasting from Marina City in September 1964. In 1974, WLS moved its television transmitter from Marina City to Sears Tower. Mayor Richard J. Daley threw a ceremonial switch and the station went off the air momentarily, then came back with a poor signal said to be almost unwatchable.

According to Mike Wilson, an engineer for KTLA-TV in Los Angeles, who worked at WLS while attending college in Chicago at the time, there had been an error in the construction of the new transmitter or antenna. The station switched back to the Marina City antenna until the problem was corrected.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:50 PM

^^^ Here's an image.

Douglas A. Pierce 1967

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:53 PM

....and a couple more.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:49 AM
Desert Dweller

This was posted by ethereal_reality in the Histroic Chicago thread

Last edited by Patrick; Mar 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:46 PM

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:51 AM

Here is one found by CGII, will not be televised.

http://www.justinbraem.com/projects/...es_xl/mar1.jpg

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:47 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^
Patrick, thanks for swiping my photos off the tranmission towers thread without giving any credit.

Pretty classless.
Uhm, you didnt take those pictures (well if you did you didnt say so) and we are supposed to give credit to the person who actually took the pictures, not post them, which you didnt.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:26 PM

^^^
The first photograph is a 1967 Charles W. Cushman photograph (Indiana University Archive). I cropped it, to simply show the obsolete towers.

The second is a rare photograph I bought a couple years ago (from a family estate in my home town). It was from a color slide, see below.

I'm not sure which member of the family took it.
I posted it, to show how amazing Marina City looked before Trump and IBM.

A few people have posted my scanned photographs in other threads running concurrently. For example....I believe it was Cbotnyse, who posted a picture of the Chicago lakefront pre Lake Shore Drive that I had posted a few days earlier.

He was courteous, and simply put beneath the photo..."this was posted by ethereal_reality in the Chicago Spire thread". That was completely fine.

It's not that big of a deal.
I think it's cool you're into architecture too.
I just wanted to explain myself.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 4:40 AM
Meh

Emporis has a fact for the building saying the masts were over 900 feet tall from the street. I knew they were tall, but I didn't know they were that tall. Well over 300 feet tall.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^ Here's an image.

This image of the WLS-TV / FM & WFLD-TV antenna tower was taken by myself in 1967! I still have the picture in my collection at home. Over the years I've gotten very favorable comments about the image. I was on a one day trip to Chicago to visit radio stations like WLS and WCFL.

I just reget that I wasn't able to get more pictures of the structure. Ihave tried to get a responce from the sign company, as well as the stations. All, to no avail..so far.

Just letting folks know how the picture came about. All with a little Kodak Brownie camera...

Thank You Very Much,

Douglas A. Pierce
Santee, Ca., formerly Augusta, Michigan]

I

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:41 AM

Please forgive my stupidity, but did the Chicago Sun Times building in the above pictures get torn down for the Trump tower? I just got back from Chicago and am amazed at the development. Last time I was there was back '00.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:15 AM

Douglas A. Pierce...WOW.

That's so cool!
You should be very proud of your photograph from 1967.

Thank you Douglas A. Pierce, for such a fine photograph.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:41 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher_AZ_84 View Post
Please forgive my stupidity, but did the Chicago Sun Times building in the above pictures get torn down for the Trump tower?
Yes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture