HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 12:15 PM

Can we not wait for awesome photographers to take a picture once completed to decide?

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 3:14 PM

I really like the original Frost Tower, brutalist isn't usually my thing but it's good in moderation. My understanding is that the CoSA reno will mostly be on the inside.

As far as why I'm complained about the garage versus everything else on the river is that the Frost project was designed knowing that this amazing park would be attached. I expect more from that design than something designed decades or a century ago. I'll be just as critical of other future designs that don't take full advantage of access to the creek. That being said, I'm pretty excited about what it'll be like once that first floor space is filled with shops, restaraunts, etc. I know people on this forum hate comparisons to Austin, but I love Congress Avenue in Austin. The HUGE sidewalks, large trees, and double height commercial spaces remind of the part of it that leads up to the lake somewhat.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
I really like the original Frost Tower, brutalist isn't usually my thing but it's good in moderation. My understanding is that the CoSA reno will mostly be on the inside.

As far as why I'm complained about the garage versus everything else on the river is that the Frost project was designed knowing that this amazing park would be attached. I expect more from that design than something designed decades or a century ago. I'll be just as critical of other future designs that don't take full advantage of access to the creek. That being said, I'm pretty excited about what it'll be like once that first floor space is filled with shops, restaraunts, etc. I know people on this forum hate comparisons to Austin, but I love Congress Avenue in Austin. The HUGE sidewalks, large trees, and double height commercial spaces remind of the part of it that leads up to the lake somewhat.

As I say AGAIN, there shouldn't be ANY comparisons between the two cities, BECAUSE San Antonio and Austin are two TOTALLY different cities

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:17 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
As I say AGAIN, there shouldn't be ANY comparisons between the two cities, BECAUSE San Antonio and Austin are two TOTALLY different cities
I don't see it as a comparison to Austin. I see it as an example of an urban design done properly, including ground level retail, walking space, etc. You'll find the same kind of examples in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston, parts of LA, Paris, London, Barcelona, Dublin, Cork, Amsterdam, etc. With that said, I see it as a perfectly placed observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post
“The project may also provide five floors for tenant offices in the tower and some retail space on the street level.”

Street level retail!

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I don't see it as a comparison to Austin. I see it as an example of an urban design done properly, including ground level retail, walking space, etc. You'll find the same kind of examples in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston, parts of LA, Paris, London, Barcelona, Dublin, Cork, Amsterdam, etc. With that said, I see it as a perfectly placed observation.

“The project may also provide five floors for tenant offices in the tower and some retail space on the street level.”

Street level retail!
That said, I can't wait until the San Pedro Creek is done up like the waterfront in Austin. Maybe we can even someday take row boats and kayaks out on it, like Austin. And of course, can't wait for the zip line on the creek, like Austin.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 7:34 PM

Any reason why we have to be like Austin ????? Can't we just be ourselves? After all that is what makes our city so unique!

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:46 PM
James

I will admit, I envy Austin's developers who put retail in almost every development. That's what we need to emulate. Other than that, I'm good with our identity.

Last edited by jaga185; May 9, 2018 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 9:42 PM

I feel SA has its own identity, frankly, I put SA well in front of Austin! That's why I came to SA instead of Austin when relocating to S. TX. Take the Frost tower were building, WAY better than anything our friends to the north have!

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Any reason why we have to be like Austin ????? Can't we just be ourselves? After all that is what makes our city so unique!
We don't and we aren't. Funny how the very mention of Austin triggers so many on this site.

My comment was tongue in cheek as too many here seem to think that any mention of Austin means the poster thinks we should be just like them.

The Frost Tower will look beautiful from SPC, garage or not. Can't wait until it's topped out.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Ok guys. Back to the topic at hand.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:51 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
The Frost Tower will look beautiful from SPC, garage or not. Can't wait until it's topped out.
Yep.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:33 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Again, please stay on topic. I don’t want to have to retroactively delete posts in order to get the thread back on track. Please continue the off-topic conversation in another more appropriate thread.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:13 PM

Frost Hard Hat Tour 5-11-2018

Today I had an opportunity to take in a hard hat tour of the Frost Bank construction site. The site is just incredible with over 200 workers going non-stop. Here are a few of the images, I hope folks enjoy them. Oh yeah, the North Crane will be rising one more time before the end of construction. It should be at about 430 feet at its highest point.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by babysal; May 11, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
Today I had an opportunity to take in a hard hat tour of the Frost Bank construction site. The site is just incredible with over 200 workers going non-stop. Here are a few of the images, I hope folks enjoy them. Oh yeah, the North Crane will be rising one more time before the end of construction. It should be at about 430 feet at its highest point.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

JUST WOW!!!!

LOVE THOSE VIEWS!!

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:17 PM

430 feet? I thought it was going to be as height as 486? 🤔

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:08 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
430 feet? I thought it was going to be as height as 486? 🤔
I think the tallest crane now is around 430 feet. The FAA permit said it would top out at 486 feet.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:57 PM
Registered User?

Is there any reason the crane would need to reach 486 feet if the tower will top out at 385?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
Is there any reason the crane would need to reach 486 feet if the tower will top out at 385?
There is actually no official height yet for this building. It could be 386 or 400, no one knows yet. The Crown might be taller than 40 ft., but the building itself should be at around 350-360

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio