HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:28 PM

Seasonal popups aren't a new thing by any means, but it seems weird to be building one at city hall like that. I wonder how much the city is getting for that? Lush also says it's part of market research to see whether they should open a store permanently. December seems like a strange month to do research on. Lush is a mall store, I wonder why they didn't set up around Champlain somewhere? Maybe they approached CF, or the surrounding businesses, I don't know. Hope they do well anyway.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Seasonal popups aren't a new thing by any means, but it seems weird to be building one at city hall like that. I wonder how much the city is getting for that? Lush also says it's part of market research to see whether they should open a store permanently. December seems like a strange month to do research on. Lush is a mall store, I wonder why they didn't set up around Champlain somewhere? Maybe they approached CF, or the surrounding businesses, I don't know. Hope they do well anyway.
I wish them the very best.
From the perspective of a male senior citizen who doesn't know much about Lush, an outdoor pop up shop in a tent in December away from the the retail hubs of a city doesn't seem like a good way to test a market. But what do I know?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:16 PM

The whole green space argument seems very silly to me. Usually that space this time of year is covered in snow and since they opened the outdoor rink at Avenir and no longer have one there at city hall, why not lease the space out and make some money. If competitors are worried then they should step up their game. Rather than a boycott they should promote their business as local and encourage people to shop local. I think the location is great, Moncton needs more retail in the downtown core and if you believe that then you should go and support this business and hopefully prove that having a business in the downtown is viable. Right now on the weekends there is no problem finding parking downtown, even in the evenings it shouldn't be a problem. Most of their daytime customers will be people who work here so they won't need parking either. I think this is a great opportunity for the downtown to prove is it open for business.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
The whole green space argument seems very silly to me. Usually that space this time of year is covered in snow and since they opened the outdoor rink at Avenir and no longer have one there at city hall, why not lease the space out and make some money. If competitors are worried then they should step up their game. Rather than a boycott they should promote their business as local and encourage people to shop local. I think the location is great, Moncton needs more retail in the downtown core and if you believe that then you should go and support this business and hopefully prove that having a business in the downtown is viable. Right now on the weekends there is no problem finding parking downtown, even in the evenings it shouldn't be a problem. Most of their daytime customers will be people who work here so they won't need parking either. I think this is a great opportunity for the downtown to prove is it open for business.
I really hope they're successful. And I hope they open a permanent store downtown which is also successful. More retail downtown is a good thing. My question is where could they open a permanent downtown store?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I really hope they're successful. And I hope they open a permanent store downtown which is also successful. More retail downtown is a good thing. My question is where could they open a permanent downtown store?
There a few "For Lease" locations downtown Main that I see all the time. Pretty sure Lush doesn't require massive square footage. If they're looking for something new to call home, Hyatt main floor retail may be available, but they have all their plans locked up in a 50' underground bunker somewhere sealed in a welded shut safe.

The Junction Village apartments under construction will also have main floor retail coming soon.

The women's gym in the Vaughn Harvey Sobeys plaza opened up recently. That has Main st visibility and free parking.

Just to name a few spots.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
There a few "For Lease" locations downtown Main that I see all the time. Pretty sure Lush doesn't require massive square footage. If they're looking for something new to call home, Hyatt main floor retail may be available, but they have all their plans locked up in a 50' underground bunker somewhere sealed in a welded shut safe.

The Junction Village apartments under construction will also have main floor retail coming soon.

The women's gym in the Vaughn Harvey Sobeys plaza opened up recently. That has Main st visibility and free parking.

Just to name a few spots.
That new building where Keating's is, has a nice ground floor space available. There's also that spot where BDC used to be in the Assomption plaza. And Ashford Group should be creating some space downtown, although that's likely going to take time. So there are a lot of options if/when they decide to set up shop.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The new apartment building on the corner of St. George & Weldon is going to have retail, isn't it?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Hipster View Post
The new apartment building on the corner of St. George & Weldon is going to have retail, isn't it?
Indeed, but a brand like Lush would demand a "high street" location, therefore Main Street is really the only option (if they are considering downtown). My money would be on the Hyatt Place Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed, but a brand like Lush would demand a "high street" location, therefore Main Street is really the only option (if they are considering downtown). My money would be on the Hyatt Place Hotel.
The Hyatt Place website says they will have 900 sq. ft. retail space. Not large but I think it would be good for a store like Lush. We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I wish them the very best.
From the perspective of a male senior citizen who doesn't know much about Lush, an outdoor pop up shop in a tent in December away from the the retail hubs of a city doesn't seem like a good way to test a market. But what do I know?
the instagram generation and influencers love those kind of things and essentially do all the marketing via their social media for in this case Lush.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the instagram generation and influencers love those kind of things and essentially do all the marketing via their social media for in this case Lush.
My question is more of what is the value of December novelty market research? Setup a popup location in April and that will give you more of an idea of the support your business would get in an area. I think they have already decided one way or the other about opening a permanent store and this just gives the city a bit of cover on why they are accepting a popup store on public property that competes against existing tax paying businesses (not that I'm opposed to such type of business, being the food truck lover I am lol). I would be very surprised if they opened a store downtown, rather than at CF Champlain. Almost every CF branded mall has a Lush, Champlain being among only 2 or 3 other CF malls in Canada without one. In Ontario, every single Lush store is in a mall, not even a storefront on a busy city street in the Toronto area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:24 AM

Christmas shopping. They can breeze into town sell a lot of smelly crap and make some money. I used to be a fan but now I just not that impressed. The soap smells so good in the store than you get it and use it and there is no smell at all. They must have some trickery involved.

ifiwerequeenoftheworld.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 11:18 AM

Volume of soap in the store, not trickery.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bentley has announced closure of several NB stores, but the CF Champlain location, as well as stores in the Regent and MacAllister malls are safe.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo of the Lush pop-up at city hall taken last night

From Councillor Greg Turner's FB page

Looks pretty festive surrounded by the decorated Christmas trees.........

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Photo of the Lush pop-up at city hall taken last night

From Councillor Greg Turner's FB page

Looks pretty festive surrounded by the decorated Christmas trees.........
I've heard several complaints about the overall aesthetic interference with the Xmas display at city hall...hopefully they will "decorate" that big white tent in some way.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:52 AM

This is why we don’t have shopping downtown. It’s been negativity since they announced it. The same people who complain about things like this are the same people who are complaining because downtown isn’t lively enough outside of the weekend. We have a street filled with restaurants, but lacking in shopping, a store like this would attract more people downtown, younger people, families etc.. Now imagine if this took off, they did well and decided to open downtown, that’s a big brand name company finally believing in the city. That could be huge for shopping downtown to come. People need to stop complaining and be happy something like this is coming to the city. Especially since they usually stick to larger cities for these tents.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
This is why we don’t have shopping downtown. It’s been negativity since they announced it. The same people who complain about things like this are the same people who are complaining because downtown isn’t lively enough outside of the weekend. We have a street filled with restaurants, but lacking in shopping, a store like this would attract more people downtown, younger people, families etc.. Now imagine if this took off, they did well and decided to open downtown, that’s a big brand name company finally believing in the city. That could be huge for shopping downtown to come. People need to stop complaining and be happy something like this is coming to the city. Especially since they usually stick to larger cities for these tents.
I think it's best to just ignore the naysayers on downtown shopping rather than engage them. The very vocal ones likely never step foot downtown and never will. You could put a costco downtown and they'd never go there. They simply will never understand just how easy it is to park downtown (especially after 6pm and on weekends).

I look at a store like my home mercantile right on Main St as a success story that doesn't have near the following of a store like Lush.

The larger variety of offerings we have downtown means more people who like the downtown shopping experience will go since they can check out a few stores along the way.

I think Moncton could benefit from a downtown shopping sweepstakes type program where you collect stamps everytime you shop downtown and do a quarterly draw for a $1000 downtown gift card. Riverview was actually ahead of them on this type of initiative as they tried to keep people shopping in town. Uptown SJ is doing something similar this season.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Small CF Champlain update.

1) - I bought something at the Just Cozy pop-up this evening, and I was chatting up the clerk on duty. She said that their lease this year will only be valid until the end of January. This is because there is a new permanent tenant moving into this space, and the interior fit-up is to begin in February. I tried to get her to tell me who is moving in, but she said she didn't know.
2) - As mentioned in a previous post, the Bentley location at CF Champlain is safe for now. There are no plans on closing this particular store as part of the current filing for creditor protection.
3) - Despite the recent closures of Regis Salon at both McAllister Place and Regent Mall, the location at CF Champlain remains open. There is even a "help wanted" sign in the window, which should be evidence that there are no imminent plans for closure.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Job adverts are beginning to appear for the new Milestones restaurant on Carson Drive (Home Depot parking lot).

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Restaur...ad4927dd161a18

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces