HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:07 PM
Not my real name

^

the amount of revenue brought in is negligible. There is what, 10 floors of parking? If each floor has 100 parking spots, and we'll be generous and say that each spot is bringing an average of $20 a day...10x100x20 = $20,000 a day or $600,000 a month before expenses like insurance and whatnot.

It may sound like a lot of money, but it PALES in comparison to the total construction costs of the building. I don't think it would even cover the minimum interest of existing bank loans. The purpose of having a parking lot isn't to bring in revenue, it's to increase the desirability of hotel and condos in the building.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:48 PM
c h i c a g o

[QUOTE=mcfinley;3559991]^

the amount of revenue brought in is negligible. There is what, 10 floors of parking? If each floor has 100 parking spots, and we'll be generous and say that each spot is bringing an average of $20 a day...10x100x20 = $20,000 a day or $600,000 a month before expenses like insurance and whatnot./QUOTE]

Probably closer to 50 spots per floor.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfinley View Post
^

the amount of revenue brought in is negligible. There is what, 10 floors of parking? If each floor has 100 parking spots, and we'll be generous and say that each spot is bringing an average of $20 a day...10x100x20 = $20,000 a day or $600,000 a month before expenses like insurance and whatnot.

It may sound like a lot of money, but it PALES in comparison to the total construction costs of the building. I don't think it would even cover the minimum interest of existing bank loans. The purpose of having a parking lot isn't to bring in revenue, it's to increase the desirability of hotel and condos in the building.
I agree, but I also think a little money is better then no money. $600,000/mo could cover utility expenses, among other things. They're not looking to recoup the cost of construction with the parking, but that doesn't mean they don't want income from it as soon as possible.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 7:29 PM

Lots of those spaces are destined for the condo owners, and will never be income producing stalls (with the exception of the one time purchase). I doubt they would want the liability of traffic at an already tight construction site.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I'm wondering if they are trying to get the parking garage wll wired and sprinklered so that it can be open during construction? This would allow revenue to begin flowing in immediately.
They would need elevators too for public parking.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 9:43 PM

May 6
anyone seen the movie The Maiachi

May 8 - Plumbers

May 13

May 15 - not sure why the new canopy next door.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Anyone know if the curtain wall panels, or major portions of them at least, have already been fabricated on spec?

It would be great if they were being held in some nearby warehouse, merely awaiting payment to be released to the site. That way we could see some action on this quickly once the China loan is secured. (Hopefully we won't have the Burj Dubai scenario where the building is 80 stories tall before a single piece of glass is hung.)

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Anyone know if the curtain wall panels, or major portions of them at least, have already been fabricated on spec?

It would be great if they were being held in some nearby warehouse, merely awaiting payment to be released to the site. That way we could see some action on this quickly once the China loan is secured. (Hopefully we won't have the Burj Dubai scenario where the building is 80 stories tall before a single piece of glass is hung.)
There's some facade materials stored in a warehouse out in the burbs' somewhere.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 1:10 PM

^There are no less than 17 floors in Bensenville ready to go. Probably, several more floors than that as they have been coming over from China in regular shipments and I doubt the financing has slowed the delivery of those components. If we can get this curtainwall going in June that would be spectacular.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 4:09 PM

I asked this before, but didn't get a straight answer, is the tower portion of this all condo?

I assume it is, but there isn't really a first page to this thread and the link to original thread seems to lead nowhere.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haworthia View Post
I asked this before, but didn't get a straight answer, is the tower portion of this all condo?
Yes.

You can get more basic info on the project at Waterview's website:

http://www.waterviewtower.com/

Select "Hotel Condominiums" and then "Floor Plan" and you'll get a good idea of the overall layout of the building

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
Yes.

You can get more basic info on the project at Waterview's website:

http://www.waterviewtower.com/

Select "Hotel Condominiums" and then "Floor Plan" and you'll get a good idea of the overall layout of the building
Thanks! So I have another question that might have been asked or discussed already, is there any reason they can't open or finish the hotel portion of this project and then finish the condo tower section when financing is secured?

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 7:55 PM

Shangri-La has absolutely no interest in opening until the project is complete. This has been discussed.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:19 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-arch View Post
Shangri-La has absolutely no interest in opening until the project is complete. This has been discussed.
I dont think that makes any sense. That is some real revenue. Just look at Trump down the street, they are close to sold out every weekend at $400-2000 a night.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 10:38 PM

I think it has to do with respect to their clientele base. They dont want all of the distractions of construction to affect people's view on their hotel. I know alot of people who have stayed at Trump and were disappointed because of things like noise or things the didnt work right!

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 1:44 AM
c h i c a g o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I think it has to do with respect to their clientele base. They dont want all of the distractions of construction to affect people's view on their hotel. I know alot of people who have stayed at Trump and were disappointed because of things like noise or things the didnt work right!
Agreed. Trump's reputation: good, bad, or indifferent can allow him to do that. Shangri-La has no reputation in the states as they dont have any hotels here. I dont think they'd be willing to take the risk on their first US hotel.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
Agreed. Trump's reputation: good, bad, or indifferent can allow him to do that. Shangri-La has no reputation in the states as they dont have any hotels here. I dont think they'd be willing to take the risk on their first US hotel.
And to be honest I wouldnt risk it either! I mean yes...sure you could open as early as possible and gain a little extra income early on...but in the long run it is only going affect how people view your hotel. If you open once you are completely done it will also give people a much more impressed view of your hotel! They are being very smart in doing so. I think the Donald is hurting his reputation a little already here in Chicago.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 9:16 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

[QUOTE=Mojava;3560023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfinley View Post
^

the amount of revenue brought in is negligible. There is what, 10 floors of parking? If each floor has 100 parking spots, and we'll be generous and say that each spot is bringing an average of $20 a day...10x100x20 = $20,000 a day or $600,000 a month before expenses like insurance and whatnot./QUOTE]

Probably closer to 50 spots per floor.
$20 per day??? Generous?

You clearly have no earthly idea what parking costs in this city.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:28 PM

No kidding. I was over on Ontario the other day, stopped in to Bice for lunch, I was there for no more than 2 hours. Parking in the public ramp was $23.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:05 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

[QUOTE=Norsider;3564164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post

$20 per day??? Generous?

You clearly have no earthly idea what parking costs in this city.
Not every space is filled every day, especially on the weekends. Early-bird specials are usually less than $20. $20 is probably not so far off average for a tall garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive