HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 11:10 PM

Behold: The First of Five Giant Olympic Rings to be Erected in Vancouver
Posted by Vancity Buzz | Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | Olympics, Vancouver
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-...-vancouver.html

A buddy of mine was flying in from Toronto the other day to job hunt here on the west coast when he noticed a giant Olympic ring being erected near the "Welcome to BC" sign. This is the first of five Olympic rings to be installed in time for the Olympics. The Lions Gate and Burrard Bridge are other two candidates. I don't know the other two locations just yet, but I heard that the North Shore mountains might get them, something similar to the Hollywood sign.

As you can see the rings have bulbs around them and will light up at night. This is the beginning of the Olympic public art initiative. I can't wait to see the rest, I'm sure the rest of the buzzers feel the same.

I wonder how long it will be before the APC come and vandalize the rings? You know chew up more tax dollars in cleaning/replacing them. A drain on society they are indeed...

Interestingly enough, one of the blog replies were: "Yeah fucking rights we are going to rip the cables right off those abhorrent things you call "art"!"

Burrard Street Bridge before

Burrard Street Bridge after

Lions Gate Bridge before

Lions Gate Bridge after

Side of Whistler Mountain after

Canada Place/Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre/Main Media Centre

Grouse Mountain (the middle mountain) will have massive Olympic rings atop its peak

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:31 AM

Whoa I totally missed that article on VCB. I guess I was to busy on "reading" the Vancouver Model Profiles these guys do

http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009...-carolina.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:50 AM

I haven't read that blog in a while seems like they have some decent Olympics stuff on it. Much better than the left wing bloggers who like to pan the Olympics any chance they get.

Here is another link if you fancy a gander:
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009...vancouver.html

its about the real cost of the Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:45 PM

i came across this article today..
full article here; http://travelvideo.tv/news/more.php?id=16915_0_1_0_M

Wondering where the party spots will be during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games? Below is a preliminary run-down of where the fun zones will be in Vancouver during February and March 2010.

Robson Square – GE Ice Plaza (Robson Street, between Hornby and Howe streets) Robson Square’s outdoor ice rink is being reopened for the 2010 Winter Games thanks to sponsorship from the Province of British Columbia and General Electric. The GE Ice Plaza (opening in November) is expected to be one of the major gathering points during the Games and will feature athlete demonstrations, family events and BC-focused programming. In addition, Robson Square will be the location of CTV Canada AM’s daily broadcast and home of the BC International Media Centre (for journalists not accredited by the IOC).
---
not for anything but couldn't Canada's "olympic network" find a better place to broadcast from like coal harbour or in the convention centre? the views in robson square would show....?? lame.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:40 PM

^ well, it's only Canada AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:46 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Great pics and info. Thanks!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
not for anything but couldn't Canada's "olympic network" find a better place to broadcast from like coal harbour or in the convention centre? the views in robson square would show....?? lame.
If they are high up the view would be good - like at the Law Courts Inn restaurant (south end of the pond)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:53 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Lets be honest the only people that watch Canada AM are well, Canadian. They don't need to advertise Vancouver to the rest of Canada. Let's let the international media get the good locations.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 6:03 PM

agreed. i didn't clue in it was canada AM. i thought it was CTV's main olympic desk so yeah, robson square makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Hope fading for funding of Olympic live sites in Vancouver

Finding sponsors for $4.5 million project 'increasingly more difficult' amid downturn

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun - March 8, 2009

Each live site will have at least one large 45- to-50-square-metre video screen that will broadcast live Olympic events, particularly those featuring Canadian athletes.
Photograph by: Andy Clark, Reuters

VANCOUVER — A City of Vancouver plan to attract $4.5 million in sponsorship money for two Olympic live sites has hit a global-recession roadblock.

Officials haven’t abandoned the goal but acknowledge it’s a tougher target now as potential sponsors tighten their belts in a challenging economy.

“We still hope to obtain that [$4.5-million] number but it’s becoming increasingly more difficult,” city Olympic operations general manager Dave Rudberg said in an interview. “We haven’t revised the number down yet but we are faced with the realities of the market.”

The province of Manitoba is a confirmed participant in the live site near Georgia and Beatty, while Coca-Cola is committed to the David Lam Park site. Rudberg said the city is negotiating with several others now but no new deals have been completed.

The budget for the two live sites is expected to be around $20 million — including $15 million in funding from the federal and city governments — and any cuts to sponsorship revenue would force cuts to Vancouver’s live site plans.

“We have to manage costs to reflect the revenues we have because we can’t run a deficit,” Rudberg said. “So we’d have to look at adjusting what we want to do, in terms of things like entertainment and the look of the sites.”

Each site will have at least one large 45- to-50-square-metre video screen that will broadcast live Olympic events, particularly those featuring Canadian athletes. During breaks in action, the screens will also broadcast highlights from past Olympics as part of a variety of daily programming expected to run from noon until 11 p.m. or midnight.

The sites will also feature interactive sponsor pavilions, meant to engage visitors, and stages with daily entertainment events.

Rudberg said city officials have found a production team to handle the live site entertainment and city council is expected to consider hiring the team at its March 24 meeting.

He said the live sites will be marketed largely through social networking channels and the city has hired Vancouver ad agency Karyo Edelman to help in that regard.

Both Vancouver live sites will be alcohol-free, although sponsor pavilions might serve alcohol at certain invitation-only events behind closed doors.

“We want family-friendly sites where we don’t have to worry about people overdrinking or bringing alcohol onto the site,” Rudberg said.

He said the no-drinking policy has probably cost the city some sponsorship revenue.

“I think some potential partners — people that could have provided pavilions — have probably turned away because there is no alcohol,” Rudberg said.

Whistler has established a no-alcohol policy for its Celebration Plaza live site while Richmond’s O Zone celebration site will also be alcohol-free, with the exception of Holland Heineken House to be located within Minoru Arena. West Vancouver has not yet set a policy for its live site, although it wants a “family-friendly environment.”

No alcohol was served at the main live site for the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002, mainly because the four-hectare site was donated by the Mormon church.

bconstantineau@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: Vancouver Sun

Last edited by Locked In; Mar 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 4:41 PM

That's a shame, hopefully they won't have to.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:48 AM

this city is going to suck for locals during these games

I hope like my friends I can be elsewhere in the world

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
this city is going to suck for locals during these games

I hope like my friends I can be elsewhere in the world
On paper, it appears that it will suck but it's quite the contrary. Many locals do leave the host city during the Olympics, but the ones that stay usually end up saying how it was an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience and those that left the city regret that they missed the whole experience.

Of course, assuming everything goes as planned and there aren't any glitches nor incidents.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:56 PM

One Year Countdown!!!

Tomorrow marks the start of the 1 Year countdown for the Paralympics!! : One Year to Go to the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games. Anyone gonna be there?

Last edited by i_m_fury; Mar 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_fury View Post
Tomorrow marks the start of the 1 Year countdown for the Olympics!! : One Year to Go to the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games. Anyone gonna be there?
a newbie both in the forum and with the 2010 Games....that's the one-year countdown for the 2010 PARALYMPICS, the one-year countdown for the Olympics was February 12.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:06 PM

oops, my bad

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 7:04 PM

Vancouver 2010 featuring prominently on USA Today homepage and Travel section

http://usatoday.com/

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...olympics_N.htm
Quote:
Naysayers notwithstanding — after all, any civic bash with a price tag in the billions is bound to attract some critics — Canada's stunning glass city is ready for its close-up as host of the next Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:24 AM

That was a glowing, stellar review of Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:44 AM

i took these pics today - at YVR

the rings are huge and they look amazing

they do some cool stuff - unfortunately its not constant - they stay white a long time and I missed the colour changing effect - each ring changes to one of the 5 colours and than goes back to white and its really neat to watch

anyway by the time I got my camera out i missed it all and they stayed white a really long time and I didn't feel like waiting for the next colour change show...

pics by me

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:14 AM

you can see them being installed here at flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=yvr+olympic+rings&ss=2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion