HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:05 AM

the aussie guy almost smiled

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:23 AM

it really bugs me the way she says LIVE city - lol

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:51 AM

Some further insight here. Watched the opening ceremonies from Swiss Haus on Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed the OVERALL show. So did everyone else. Very well choreographed. Lottsa fun. Most people didn't quibble about any of the small negative nuances from their perspective.

Until the cauldron hit Vancouver late last week, I knew of some people who were ambivalent about the 2010 games. I even know of an anti-Olympic individual in the same ranks.

Guess what? They have all now caught the Olympic spirit and are enjoying the games and festivities very much so. Who woulda thunk?

The energy and excitement in downtown Vancouver is surreal. Reminiscent of Expo '86.

And after tomorrow the skies will clear and sunshine will rule.

And Vancouver will receive overall great press for the duration of the games. I'm sure of that.

Forget about the quibbles. Everyone has 'em.

Just enjoy the show.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 4:34 AM

Olympic curling venue gets mixed reviews

By Allen Cameron, Canwest Olympic Team

VANCOUVER — There’s an irony that the greatest curling competition on the planet will be played in a building that wouldn’t be considered suitable to host a Brier.

But that’s not the point of the Vancouver Olympic Centre, said the president of the World Curling Federation on Sunday during the first on-ice practices.

“What would we do with 15,000 seats? Hey, it’s at least twice the size of any venue we’ve ever had for our fourth Olympic Games, so we’re doing pretty good,” said Les Harrison, a Canadian. “I would have loved to see 15,000 seats and the place sold out and rocking every day. But we all have to realize that curling goes on for 12 days of round-robin and playoff games, and you’re not going to fill a 15,000-seat arena unless you give away the tickets.”

Well, that’s a matter of opinion. Considering tickets go for $65 per game, a bigger building could have resulted in lower prices. And besides, noted Canadian Curling Association director of event operations and media Warren Hansen, if you can attract 15,000 to Brier games, why couldn’t you do the same thing at the Olympics?

“With the Olympics in Canada and the strength of curling in this country, I have little doubt that you would fill any size of building you provided,” said Hansen. “So it would give more people across this country the opportunity to access the event and set the benchmark for the future of curling at the Olympic level.”

And that’s a real concern, considering the venue for Sochi, Russia, in 2014, is a temporary 3,000-seat venue, with the added “bonus,” according to the host website, of being portable and moved anywhere in Russia should there be a demand.

Still, the Vanoc priority is a sustainable legacy, and the VOC fits the bill; afterwards, the curling venue will be converted to a smaller hockey rink, and the spectator concourse will become the new home of the Vancouver Curling Club. The community centre also will feature a swimming pool.

Also appealing is the location — close to downtown, close to the action, as opposed to previous Olympic curling venues that were an hour or more away from the host city.

“We’ve longed for that over the last three Olympic Games,” said Harrison. “We wanted to be close to the action, close to the IOC, close to the sponsors, so that they can come to the venue and see what they’ve developed along with us. We’re excited about it.”

The players had nothing but glowing praise for the venue as they got their first official look on Sunday (there will be another day of practice on Monday before the first round of curling competition Tuesday morning).

“I think the venue is awesome,” said Team Canada lead Ben Hebert. “When you walk in and see the Olympic colours and it’s decorated so nicely — you know what? It’s nice to play in the big buildings, but it’s a guarantee that this building is going to be sold out, right? And with the fans so close to you, it makes it that much more intimate. It’s a quality, quality facility.”

“I think everybody would have liked to play in a 15,000 or 20,000-seat arena because I’m sure Canada could have filled it and it would have been great to show around the world,” added British skip David Murdoch. “But we’re going to have sellouts, it’s tight and I think it’s going to be a noisy stadium. And it definitely feels like an Olympic venue.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...046/story.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Had a bit of a surreal experience today I was invited to go on a 160' yacht with 4 decks, the "After Eight".
http://www.northernmarine.com/gallery/151-overview.jpg

Yesterday they sailed and had a party for Jennifer Heil and Alexandre Bilodeau. Sheeesh, to have that kind of life must be nice.

The owners are flying off to Vienna for a couple of days on their jet tomorrow, and then coming back later this week.
Go Go Go. I've never seen such a spotless yacht . . . ever. Folks were joking while waiting on the aqua bus that birds must not dare deface it.

I want details on the interior .

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:26 AM

global just did a story about olympic spending - on saturday VISA says that $2 million more was spent than the same day a year ago and that the 3 biggest spenders are from Canada, China and Great Britain

denman street is said to be like a ghost town looks like the crowds are only staying around robson/granville and the pavillions/party sites

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:56 AM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:07 AM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:01 AM

looks like the dutch setting up?

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
video from a media dude - i think from brazil - just his own personal thing

Video Link
the text in the end is in portuguese... it reads "I wasnt able to speak with you today, but even so... happy valentines day"

btw, I already posted videos on Youtube. Am I a "media guy"?

ps: does anyone knows what kind of background music is that? Sounds kinda like african music?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:03 PM
Hello World

Canada beats Norway in curling overtime !!! It all came down to the last shot and the BIG SHOT got it done

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
global just did a story about olympic spending - on saturday VISA says that $2 million more was spent than the same day a year ago and that the 3 biggest spenders are from Canada, China and Great Britain

denman street is said to be like a ghost town looks like the crowds are only staying around robson/granville and the pavillions/party sites
i can confirm that Denman street is a ghost town. I walked the length of it last night at about 6pm and then again at about 8:30pm. Some restaurants, which are generally fairly busy--even on a Monday evening--had not a soul in them. Denman street--the street the Olympics forgot.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:29 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
i can confirm that Denman street is a ghost town. I walked the length of it last night at about 6pm and then again at about 8:30pm. Some restaurants, which are generally fairly busy--even on a Monday evening--had not a soul in them. Denman street--the street the Olympics forgot.
From my experience helping people with restaurant recommendations during the Olympics, they all think Denman st is too far of a walk, so I'm not really surprised by this.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 8:40 PM

^ This would not happen if we had a SkyTrain spur out to Denman, or even a Flexity streetcar! We need rapid transit out to the West End and Stanley Park.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
the text in the end is in portuguese... it reads "I wasnt able to speak with you today, but even so... happy valentines day"

btw, I already posted videos on Youtube. Am I a "media guy"?

ps: does anyone knows what kind of background music is that? Sounds kinda like african music?
the guy who posted it is in the brazilian media he walks arouind in some brazilian media jacket in his otehr video he was in an area off limits to the public and it was in the IMC

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:06 PM

watching womens snowboard cross on cypress - teh fog is rolling in and so many are falling - the conditions aren't so good today

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
I thought the NIMBYs in the West End wanted a bedroom community with as few people coming in as possible
They certainly got it
I don't find it very accessible either, and I haven't been there for years. Needs more faster routes there that don't go 10 km/h like the trolley due to traffic.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
^ This would not happen if we had a SkyTrain spur out to Denman, or even a Flexity streetcar! We need rapid transit out to the West End and Stanley Park.
I agree, we definitely need something that goes down there. I think it's too far, too, though there are some places I'd like to go.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:36 PM

Just got back from USA vs. Switzerland game, was pretty good. USA won 3 - 1. I was cheering for the Swiss, "GO SUISSE!". Canada Hockey Place is pretty good venue, though I don't like how FAR security is, everyone is ushered in to one security line on the far side of the building. I already have enough blisters from walking around the fricken seawall yesterday

Going to leave for Canada vs. Norway soon

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:38 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Will I be able to bring my camera into the CHP, or should I leave it behind?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion