HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:14 PM

^ holy moly!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:34 PM

That’s an awesome project, which I just can’t see happening in Chicago (or anywhere in the US, with the possible exception of Brooklyn).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That’s an awesome project, which I just can’t see happening in Chicago (or anywhere in the US, with the possible exception of Brooklyn).
I could see it happening in Brooklyn and I could see it also happening somewhere like Fulton Market for sure. There are more than enough people who would love to live in a space like that in Chicago. The issue isn't really the people nor demand IMO, it's just finding the right developer to have the balls to do it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:13 AM

^^^ But that's the problem, it's not about what is cool or what would be nice, it's about the economics of this location. The mill is a highly inefficient structure even after you renovate it. So they would be paying more money to get a less valuable building. They just dropped $25 million on 2.5 acres of land, they don't get to do what is "cool", they get to do what makes the land pay which is build office midrises. It's not even a choice for them, in order to get that parcel, they had to buck up, and that means they need to make a return on that investment.

Now somewhere like Damen silos where there isn't as much demand and competition for land, you might be able to make a development like that work there.

Also who really thinks Sterling Bay isn't doing adaptive reuse of industrial buildings anymore? They literally have a couple dozen of them in the West Loop alone...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Lol so embarrassing. I'll tell you exactly who would buy in something like this: trust fund kids from Europe chasing 'cool' on the brooklyn waterfont.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:44 AM
The City

In a way, it's kind of insulting to grain silos to convert them into luxury condos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:32 PM

The project I linked to is an art museum, not condos/residential.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:34 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ But that's the problem, it's not about what is cool or what would be nice, it's about the economics of this location. The mill is a highly inefficient structure even after you renovate it. So they would be paying more money to get a less valuable building. They just dropped $25 million on 2.5 acres of land, they don't get to do what is "cool", they get to do what makes the land pay which is build office midrises. It's not even a choice for them, in order to get that parcel, they had to buck up, and that means they need to make a return on that investment.

Now somewhere like Damen silos where there isn't as much demand and competition for land, you might be able to make a development like that work there.

Also who really thinks Sterling Bay isn't doing adaptive reuse of industrial buildings anymore? They literally have a couple dozen of them in the West Loop alone...
We have no idea what Sterling Bay will do with these structures, so let's stop lamenting the loss of the silos. The brick part of the mill that is traditional warehouse construction is likely a good candidate for some kind of reuse, I'd be surprised if SB didn't save that section at the very least. Based on the design of the brick section, it's probably pre-1910 so the structure is likely heavy timber which lends itself extremely well to re-use. SB's experience on Fulton Cold Storage was not really typical, most of these old warehouse buildings haven't been turned into Hoth-like ice caves inside and don't have a structure made of problematic early reinforced concrete.

Also, I've been very impressed with the architecture quality of Sterling Bay, pretty much everything they do is attractive, crisp and well-detailed even if it's not architecturally groundbreaking. They hire good architects and I'm sure if there is a way to retain the silos as part of a redevelopment they will explore that option.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 25, 2018 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:06 PM

Tower crane at Twelve01West coming down

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:35 PM

61 E Banks

Aug 18

A fine seat for the Air Show

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Friends and family access. Lucky.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 10:28 PM

1550 On The Park

Aug 18

From The Park

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:13 PM

Light the Mart (or something like that)

Aug 21

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:02 AM

Vandalizing 321 N Clark

Aug 10

Aug 15

Aug 20

The little red crane - can fold up to fit through a normal doorway.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

*** MOD EDIT ***

Deleted a number of idiotic 'joke' posts..Cut the trashtalk crap, stereotyping, and general bullshit. If any of you cannot understand what this means, DM/talk to a mod, and if you continue to ignore these basic concepts of adulting, suspensions with due cause shall be doled out. And if any of you choose to continue acting in such a manner, permabans shall be enforced.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:59 PM
Urbane observer

Curious why you say 321 N Clark is being "vandalized."

Before:

After:

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:15 PM

^Yeah it looks better after, and it brings more life and activity to the water side. Sets an expectation for riverfront engagement on the north bank.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Curious why you say 321 N Clark is being "vandalized."
After 15yrs I'd grown rather fond of the classic clean lines, and the 70's lobby with it's green marble and spacious area.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:19 PM

Yeah, as far as from a pedestrian perspective and general use, the updated design is far superior if it pans out as the rendering suggests. It just looks friendlier and more open

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 9:41 PM
Urbane observer

I'm torn. While I certainly appreciate the retro–Lever House aesthetic the building initially had, it certainly will contribute much more to the public realm with its new look.

I have the same ambivalence about 111 East Wacker. Extending the ground-level piers (I guess they're not technically pilotis) all the way down to the ground sure changes the proportions from anything Mies would have OK'd. But they let the building—and a whole chunk of Illinois Center—meet the street in a time-honored way that I welcome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development