HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Here is the thing I don't understand, why is it some homeless guys business if you carry cash or not? Why would you (not specifically you, but a general "you") say that to a stranger?
Well it really isn't but it is kind of a way of not having to just say no sorry outright and it is not lying-if you don't have any cash then you can't give them any if want to or not. And I am not going to be talked into going to an ATM to get money out either.

It gives some people an out without having to just say no only.

*Sometimes I do have a little cash and in that instance I might give some but it would depend on the circumstance-usually I would not-too many scammers and addicts unfortunately. It would probably be better to give them a card with social services info on it, but I would be afraid that might "trigger" or set them off and I don't want any problems with some homeless people-you just don't know what will happen.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Here is the thing I don't understand, why is it some homeless guys business if you carry cash or not? Why would you (not specifically you, but a general "you") say that to a stranger?
I had the same thought a while back. Plus sometimes I do have cash/change that I'm not going to give to them, and I don't really love lying. So my default now is just "nah, not today man."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
triggered by giving money to panhandlers, yikes

might be time for a moment of self reflection
You've already made the point, you are better than 99% of people lol

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:44 PM

Funny story, I was stuck in Arkansas for like two years and then I took a trip up to Chicago. Like within 2 minutes of walking a dude asked me for cash. I was taken aback and forgot how to respond so I just said "no thank you." Guy said..."whaat da fuck" under his breath. I could imagine how country folks visiting the city feel when they encounter homeless people for the first time lol

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:50 PM

Maybe we should give the panhandlers bus tickets to rich towns like Beverly Hills, La Jolla, Burlingame, Mill Valley etc. Go where the money is dudes. Liberal rich towns like Mill Valley seem like they would be more than happy to give to the poor.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Funny story, I was stuck in Arkansas for like two years and then I took a trip up to Chicago. Like within 2 minutes of walking a dude asked me for cash. I was taken aback and forgot how to respond so I just said "no thank you." Guy said..."whaat da fuck" under his breath. I could imagine how country folks visiting the city feel when they encounter homeless people for the first time lol
I found most of the homeless people in Chicago to be quite polite. Most of them seemed to just want to sit down with me and tell me their backstory. I guess it was a ploy to get money, but nobody was super aggressive when I politely declined.

I had a homeless person get up and cough on me when I wouldn't give them money in LA. It was a whole different sort of thing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Twice now though I've encountered someone outside the Train/Bus station who had a sob story about needing to get a ticket home to some place and when I actually offered to buy them a ticket their mood changed real quick.
Here in Wilmington, they always say they need money to take the bus to Philly or Camden.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:20 PM

I remember after first moving to Chicago, I took my wife to Marshall Fields department store downtown. I left her outside the store while secretly buying her a gift, when I came outside she was being verbally harassed by a panhandler, I stepped in and sent the guy away, he was vehemently upset. I later found out she being a social worker had spent a prolong time trying to counsel the guy, and then she walked away not giving him anything. After that we established a policy, no more counseling, if you are going to give a pan handler something ,no need to converse, do it and move on. And if you are not going to give them something, again don't converse , just move on.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Maybe we should give the panhandlers bus tickets to rich towns like Beverly Hills, La Jolla, Burlingame, Mill Valley etc. Go where the money is dudes. Liberal rich towns like Mill Valley seem like they would be more than happy to give to the poor.
Beverly Hills kicks them out. They don't mess around with that.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

Someone once told me this trick and I've tried it a few time and its been surprisingly successful.

When a homeless person is approaching you to ask you for money, beat them to it before they ask you and ask them if they have some change (for a meter, parking, whatever). It totally throws them off since that was the only reason they were approaching you. They kind of walk away in a confused state but they won't bother you again. If more people flipped the script it would make it less of a given that people would just give them money.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:42 PM

Interesting but this is risking pissing one of them off though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:46 PM

Why all the tricks and excuses and what not....Shouldn't a simple "No" be enough or even better yet, just ignore them?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Someone once told me this trick and I've tried it a few time and its been surprisingly successful.

When a homeless person is approaching you to ask you for money, beat them to it before they ask you and ask them if they have some change (for a meter, parking, whatever). It totally throws them off since that was the only reason they were approaching you. They kind of walk away in a confused state but they won't bother you again. If more people flipped the script it would make it less of a given that people would just give them money.
I kiddingly said something like that a couple of days ago. If you are well dressed though they may not believe you, or even get angry. My policy is to give change if I have it to someone who really looks like they need it. What is a dollar anyway?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:46 PM

You need to forcefully say no or else they will linger, give you a bullshit sob story, follow you around, blah blah blah... My usual answer is absolutely not.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:04 PM

The most effective way to deal with panhandlers is extreme and shocking violence.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Why all the tricks and excuses and what not....Shouldn't a simple "No" be enough or even better yet, just ignore them?
I feel like a "no, sorry" is a polite, short response. "No" by itself is kind of dismissive. I know people say "I don't owe them anything" other than a succinct answer. But these are often, not always, desperate people who most of us could afford to give a lil change. Since I never give change (i doubt it goes to anything helpful most of the time) I feel like why not show a little compassion - how can that hurt? This all assumes the panhandler wasn't an ass to begin with, of course. And being dismissive just invites negative responses, and then who knows where that carries them. So many are mentally ill &/or drug addicts.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Ignoring them is rude and you are then inviting them to be rude back or start something. At least a no is an answer. Just ignoring them is treating them as less than human IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The most effective way to deal with panhandlers is extreme and shocking violence.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:57 PM

I used to give out change when asked, but I never will again. I just ignore them now.

One day I was out walking, had a decent amount of change on me, almost a dollar. Guy asked me for money, so I gave him my change. He looked at his hand, looked up at me, said "This is it?!?" and threw my change on the ground. He stormed off ways, then turned and watched as I bent down, picked it all up and put it back in my pocket. The look of shock on his face was priceless. But I'm not going to be insulted like that again.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I used to give out change when asked, but I never will again. I just ignore them now.

One day I was out walking, had a decent amount of change on me, almost a dollar. Guy asked me for money, so I gave him my change. He looked at his hand, looked up at me, said "This is it?!?" and threw my change on the ground. He stormed off ways, then turned and watched as I bent down, picked it all up and put it back in my pocket. The look of shock on his face was priceless. But I'm not going to be insulted like that again.
Yea, I've been asked "can you give me some more"...it's like...Now? NO. Fuck that.

I imagine if I gave some money to a poor person in say Mumbai they would be very grateful. Now, they may ask if I have more since I am obviously American and a tourist(cash cash cash) but I bet they would be a lot happier with what I give them than an American homeless person.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:16 AM

Out here in Cali many (most?) of the busy freeway offramps (and some onramps) have people with signs asking for money. Usually the hand printed sign says they are a homeless vet, disabled, or will work for food, or something. I wonder how they decide on who gets the choicest onramp/offramp? There must be a competition. Sometimes people in cars digging for change slows up the traffic. The panhandlers often make their way down the line of cars waiting to turn. At least the squeegy scam is no longer common, where they squeegy your windows and then ask for money. Often the window ends up more dirty and streaked.

I usually give money if the person is polite, or non-aggressive but looks very needy. Homeless old ladies almost always get some change and a kind word from me. Rarely give to a young healthy man with an aggressive attitude unless it seems to almost be a robbery. Then I might give something just to get out of there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions