HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:16 AM
Back from the dead

Freeways destroy cities when they cut through existing neighborhoods. When they're planned from the beginning they don't do anything except the other problems of sprawl and induced demand. That's not destruction of cities so much as it's just bad planning. I disagree that ring roads make any real difference at all to induced demand (so Bishop, and the Perimeter aren't going to create more traffic than would already exist otherwise) but I suppose they can increase sprawl if there are open areas that are undeveloped along their paths. Of course, I would also argue that those areas would be developed anyway.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Freeways destroy cities when they cut through existing neighborhoods. When they're planned from the beginning they don't do anything except the other problems of sprawl and induced demand. That's not destruction of cities so much as it's just bad planning. I disagree that ring roads make any real difference at all to induced demand (so Bishop, and the Perimeter aren't going to create more traffic than would already exist otherwise) but I suppose they can increase sprawl if there are open areas that are undeveloped along their paths. Of course, I would also argue that those areas would be developed anyway.
I would argue that they would be developed anyway, especially in a place like Winnipeg. It's hard to buy the argument that it would make things worse to grade separate major roads which already have the basic design characteristics of freeways minus the free flowingness.

Of course it would be terrible if they decided all of the sudden to extend the disraeli by tearing up Henderson for instance.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:30 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I would argue that they would be developed anyway, especially in a place like Winnipeg. It's hard to buy the argument that it would make things worse to grade separate major roads which already have the basic design characteristics of freeways minus the free flowingness.

Of course it would be terrible if they decided all of the sudden to extend the disraeli by tearing up Henderson for instance.
Well, there is a way to do it "right" and I know this because I live in a place where that's exactly what is done as standard operating procedure. Winnipeg can't afford or justify the expense of such construction, however.
Here in China, all urban freeways are elevated and a normal commercial street runs directly underneath it. The problem in North America is that the densities simply can't justify such construction. If I had to guess, I'd say that only a sliver of a percentage point of housing here is anything under 5 floors. That presents its own challenges too, of course but freeways don't divide neighbourhoods here (also because people don't have the same attitude towards the concept of a neighbourhood in the first place. The idea really isn't extant here. That doesn't mean that people look forward to having a freeway running at eye level on the fifth floor of their building because the most valuable properties are on the first floor (you don't need an elevator in a Chinese building until it's over 6 floors) Basically, if people care, I haven't heard anything about it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

I feel that expanding and widening ring roads and highways are destructive to the city above and beyond the direct devastation they cause to their immediate area in terms of pedestrian/transit/cycling-friendliness, aesthetics, etc. At any one time, there is an equilibrium, where typically people don't want to live any farther than, say, a 50 minute commute between where they live, shop, work, meet friends, play, etc. When a new wider, faster, better right-of-way roadways are built, that increases this range, it changes the equilibrium, and then people and businesses move further out accordingly.

I know you mentioned this idea of induced demand, but I think there's more than just an induced demand for the roadways, I think streamlining highways in/out/through the city induces demand for new development in the suburbs, while actually contributing to a positive feedback cycle discouraging development in mature neighbourhoods.

I think the feedback cycle goes something like this:

* Faster roadways are built, enabling more people to live further from the city
* This alone tips the scale a bit in favour of driving rather than other means of transport, because there are friends/family in these new developments which are inaccessible by other means.
* Business and other amenities flock from the city to those new neighbourhoods, and to the arteries connecting them (see Kennaston (retail is more and more popping up further down McPhilips these days), Regent and Lagimodiere, St Vital mall, North McPhillips). The inner city is left without amenities (no grocery store or retail downtown)
* This tips the scale further towards driving vs other means, since you must drive in order to access most amenities.
* Consumers are more dependant on their cars than they were before, because nothing else is practical. Since their lives are set up around the car, they actively avoid going anywhere, like downtown, that caters less to motorists. This furthers the undesirability of the inner city and accelerates the migration of businesses outwards.
* Now much more demand for faster car infrastructure, so levels of gvmt make major roadway investments
* rinse, repeat

I think if we just kept roadways more or less at capacity, the natural tendancy would be for more infill development, and more viable transit (because of the density) and etc etc.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I feel that expanding and widening ring roads and highways are destructive to the city above and beyond the direct devastation they cause to their immediate area in terms of pedestrian/transit/cycling-friendliness, aesthetics, etc. At any one time, there is an equilibrium, where typically people don't want to live any farther than, say, a 50 minute commute between where they live, shop, work, meet friends, play, etc. When a new wider, faster, better right-of-way roadways are built, that increases this range, it changes the equilibrium, and then people and businesses move further out accordingly.

I know you mentioned this idea of induced demand, but I think there's more than just an induced demand for the roadways, I think streamlining highways in/out/through the city induces demand for new development in the suburbs, while actually contributing to a positive feedback cycle discouraging development in mature neighbourhoods.

I think the feedback cycle goes something like this:

* Faster roadways are built, enabling more people to live further from the city
* This alone tips the scale a bit in favour of driving rather than other means of transport, because there are friends/family in these new developments which are inaccessible by other means.
* Business and other amenities flock from the city to those new neighbourhoods, and to the arteries connecting them (see Kennaston (retail is more and more popping up further down McPhilips these days), Regent and Lagimodiere, St Vital mall, North McPhillips). The inner city is left without amenities (no grocery store or retail downtown)
* This tips the scale further towards driving vs other means, since you must drive in order to access most amenities.
* Consumers are more dependant on their cars than they were before, because nothing else is practical. Since their lives are set up around the car, they actively avoid going anywhere, like downtown, that caters less to motorists. This furthers the undesirability of the inner city and accelerates the migration of businesses outwards.
* Now much more demand for faster car infrastructure, so levels of gvmt make major roadway investments
* rinse, repeat

I think if we just kept roadways more or less at capacity, the natural tendancy would be for more infill development, and more viable transit (because of the density) and etc etc.
While your logic is sound, you are forgetting two major issues which should not be glossed over when considering the costs and benefits of road infrastructure:

1. Infill is not without it's own costs

Yes, I know this forum is filled with urbanists who portray density and infill as the be-all end-all to the city's financial and infrastructure woes. And while density and infill are important components to making Winnipeg more vibrant and financially sustainable, urbanists incorrectly assume that plopping a 20 story apartment block in Osborne village is a cost-less endeavor to the municipality, while plopping the equivalent amount of living space in greenfield is going to make us bankrupt. It is not this simple. In reality, infill costs the city money immediately since it occurs in older neighborhoods with aging and now under capacity infrastructure that must be upgraded at the city's expense - mostly water and sewer. Moreover, adding 400 people to a mature neighborhood will also have an impact on traffic and bus routing needs.

Conversely, developers are more than happy to pay all the upfront infrastructure costs to build subdivisions, virtually expanding the city's assessment base at no cost in the short run. And typically, 400 units of infill are going to net less property tax than the equivalent living space in the suburbs. While it is true that one housing unit in infill isn't necessarily a perfect substitute for one housing unit in a subdivision, there are trade offs associated with both types of developments.

This trade off means the short term financial math on infill versus subdivision (especially in a revenue-starved city like Winnipeg) is difficult. Does the City, which desperately needs money to fix crumbling infrastructure, accommodate 400 units of infill by spending $10 million to upgrade water and sewer lines in Wolesley, or does it allow a developer to add 400 units of housing in Waverley West and increase the tax base by $1 million? Winnipeg will probably allow both since people need a place to live, have different preferences, and the municipality desperately needs money.

2. It's not just commuters who use road infrastructure to get to work and home, but also businesses and people commuting for recreation purposes.

We tend to forget that expanding roadways doesn't just benefit (or induce demand for) residential commuters in cars and buses to work from home and back. Roads are also heavily used to move goods across the City and country, and it's important to allow businesses to get their goods to market both within the City and outside. Efficient transportation networks are needed not just by residents, but businesses to. If we invested every dollar of our roads budget in public transit for the next 10 years, the roads would crumble to nothing and while residents can take buses and cycle to work, truckers don't have that luxury.

And investing in public transit to try and induce business to centralize doesn't make sense for all types of businesses. Sure, one could argue that commercial offices benefit from being downtown, but Winnipeg already has among the highest percent of it's office space located downtown compared to all other major Canadian cities - we are already doing well in that regard. But it doesn't make sense to say, encourage New Flyer, Boeing, Maple Leaf, Winpak, or Kitchencraft to locate their manufacturing plants downtown because having large manufacturing facilities take up valuable land in central areas is an inefficient and unwise use of land. As such, it's important for these facilities to be located where it makes sense, while also being well served by transportation infrastructure on the city's outer edge.

Finally, recreation is also an aspect. Like manufacturing, it doesn't make sense to locate all of our baseball diamonds, soccer fields, pools, forests, and parks inside the city where it can be readily served by central transit. These "inefficient" uses of land should be located where land is less valuable - outside the core, and even outside the city itself. But it's also important from a health and recreation standpoint for people to be able to access these amenities, which is something Winnipeg also does well on.

TL;DR: While infill and public transit investment are important, neglecting roads and discouraging all development on the city's periphery isn't a credible or well thought-out argument.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:37 PM
There is always a way

^ while I totally agree with point # 2, I don't think your generalization of urbanists is fair since many of us who consider ourselves urbanists don't assume a simplistic worldview of density good, suburbs bad.

Also, your assessment of costs associated with suburban greenfield development vs existing mature neighbourhoods is a bit more nuanced than the average joe. However, you leave out the bit that is maybe the most important, being: the infrastructure will HAVE to be replaced in older neighbourhoods anyways, it will likely be upgauged too so the idea that infill will be responsible for this is inaccurate. Furthermore, the development of new suburbs, while good for revenue in the short term as you mentioned, is also going to suffer the eventual fate of these older mature areas in the longterm, namely the replacement and presumed upgauging of the infrastructure related to them.

So I ask you to consider this. Is it better to encourage a densification strategy that in the long term will leave us with a more manageable network of roads and sewers, or is it more prudent to expand the network ad infinitum thus making the future maintenance not only unmanageable but even nearing impossible? Food for thought.

Totally agree about the roads though. Considerations should be made for the needs of business and commerce, but we should also make the transit system enticing to more people to allow the road network to breathe a little.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
While your logic is sound, you are forgetting two major issues which should not be glossed over when considering the costs and benefits of road infrastructure:

1. Infill is not without it's own costs

Yes, I know this forum is filled with urbanists who portray density and infill as the be-all end-all to the city's financial and infrastructure woes. And while density and infill are important components to making Winnipeg more vibrant and financially sustainable, urbanists incorrectly assume that plopping a 20 story apartment block in Osborne village is a cost-less endeavor to the municipality, while plopping the equivalent amount of living space in greenfield is going to make us bankrupt. It is not this simple. In reality, infill costs the city money immediately since it occurs in older neighborhoods with aging and now under capacity infrastructure that must be upgraded at the city's expense - mostly water and sewer. Moreover, adding 400 people to a mature neighborhood will also have an impact on traffic and bus routing needs.

Conversely, developers are more than happy to pay all the upfront infrastructure costs to build subdivisions, virtually expanding the city's assessment base at no cost in the short run. And typically, 400 units of infill are going to net less property tax than the equivalent living space in the suburbs. While it is true that one housing unit in infill isn't necessarily a perfect substitute for one housing unit in a subdivision, there are trade offs associated with both types of developments.

This trade off means the short term financial math on infill versus subdivision (especially in a revenue-starved city like Winnipeg) is difficult. Does the City, which desperately needs money to fix crumbling infrastructure, accommodate 400 units of infill by spending $10 million to upgrade water and sewer lines in Wolesley, or does it allow a developer to add 400 units of housing in Waverley West and increase the tax base by $1 million? Winnipeg will probably allow both since people need a place to live, have different preferences, and the municipality desperately needs money.

2. It's not just commuters who use road infrastructure to get to work and home, but also businesses and people commuting for recreation purposes.

We tend to forget that expanding roadways doesn't just benefit (or induce demand for) residential commuters in cars and buses to work from home and back. Roads are also heavily used to move goods across the City and country, and it's important to allow businesses to get their goods to market both within the City and outside. Efficient transportation networks are needed not just by residents, but businesses to. If we invested every dollar of our roads budget in public transit for the next 10 years, the roads would crumble to nothing and while residents can take buses and cycle to work, truckers don't have that luxury.

And investing in public transit to try and induce business to centralize doesn't make sense for all types of businesses. Sure, one could argue that commercial offices benefit from being downtown, but Winnipeg already has among the highest percent of it's office space located downtown compared to all other major Canadian cities - we are already doing well in that regard. But it doesn't make sense to say, encourage New Flyer, Boeing, Maple Leaf, Winpak, or Kitchencraft to locate their manufacturing plants downtown because having large manufacturing facilities take up valuable land in central areas is an inefficient and unwise use of land. As such, it's important for these facilities to be located where it makes sense, while also being well served by transportation infrastructure on the city's outer edge.

Finally, recreation is also an aspect. Like manufacturing, it doesn't make sense to locate all of our baseball diamonds, soccer fields, pools, forests, and parks inside the city where it can be readily served by central transit. These "inefficient" uses of land should be located where land is less valuable - outside the core, and even outside the city itself. But it's also important from a health and recreation standpoint for people to be able to access these amenities, which is something Winnipeg also does well on.

TL;DR: While infill and public transit investment are important, neglecting roads and discouraging all development on the city's periphery isn't a credible or well thought-out argument.
Well said. The suburbs and infill are both needed, and both need to be done well. Things are definitely more nuanced than some of our fellow forumers make them out to be.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Well said. The suburbs and infill are both needed, and both need to be done well. Things are definitely more nuanced than some of our fellow forumers make them out to be.
Exactly, Winnipegger had a very good post and both of you seem to get it which can't be said for the majority here IMO!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:28 PM

The key with expanding suburbs is curbing leapfrog development – which has been a big issue here. Why is Bishop Grandin Crossing just getting developed now, when we're long into developments at the Perimeter (for example). Growth is OK, but we should be doing it progressively and and smartly – having to build way more roads now to go past greenfields and get to new developments makes no sense. Yes those places and roads will eventually be needed, but we're needlessly incurring 10–20+ years of extra maintenance (and other) costs for no reason.

This is where a/the extra growth fee should kick in. Responsible, steady growth is both OK and needed, but if a developer is set on developing their land way in advance of when it should be (leapfrogging) then there should be extra taxes on that to at minimum offset the extra incurred costs on the city and province.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:32 PM

New suburbs are OK, but they have to be developed in a reasonable proportion relative to the rest of the city. The suburban boom of the 60s-80s basically saw the older inner city gutted while nearly all development was focused on the outer parts of the city. That was unsustainable. You just can't have booming suburbs in a slow growth city.

My impression is that we've gotten a bit better since then, but there is still a long way to go. Reining in the greenfield suburban development a bit and redirecting some growth to inner city areas (not just downtown but the old inner suburbs like Fort Rouge, Old St. Vital, Wolseley/West Broadway, etc.) would reduce the burden of paying for so many new areas which tend to be extremely car dependent and require lots of costly new infrastructure to support that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Exactly, Winnipegger had a very good post and both of you seem to get it which can't be said for the majority here IMO!
I think most people here get it just fine and just want suburbs to be designed better, which always just ends up interpreted as being anti-suburb entirely.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Yeah, those posts from Winnipeger and OptimusREIM were top-shelf work.

I like to boil it down to people can choose to live where they want to, but let's make sure the true costs of that choice are accounted for.

Aaand make sure we're planning for growth, with multi-decade time frames. For example, see the establishment of road allowances for the ring road, where it was done in some places but not everywhere. See Route 90, where you could have enforced the creation of service roads to enable the eventual grade separation, but now that route is hooped.
And on, and on, and on.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:47 PM

Fairly large residential development off St. Mary's Rd along the Red River still winding through the various approvals processes.

334 residential units in two apartment buildings and townhouses. 487 parking spaces with 313 underground.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Fairly large residential development off St. Mary's Rd along the Red River still winding through the various approvals processes.

334 residential units in two apartment buildings and townhouses. 487 parking spaces with 313 underground.

This is an insane amount of parking.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 9:27 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
This is an insane amount of parking.
I don't find the amount of parking to be that far out of line with the surroundings. Doesn't bother me too much.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:17 AM

Winnipeg is living, breathing proof that freeways have nothing to do with how automobile-oriented a city is. If the generic urbanist crowd was actually correct about freeways being the crowning feature of excessively automobile oriented city planning, then Winnipeg would surely be one of the most transit oriented cites on the continent, seeing how we are the only city in North America with a population above half a million to completely lack any definable freeway system.

What we have is even worse than a freeway. Instead we have a series maddeningly wide roadways all cutting through the middle of our city center. If we had an actual ring road system (and one that actually serves already existing parts of the city instead of future planned suburbs that need to be developed in order for said ring-road to be justified) then opening portage and main to pedestrians would be 110% completely feasible. It wouldn't take 5 minutes just to cross osborne street and the whole downtown area would no longer have to function as a poor man's freeway interchange for the entire city. A freeway would segregate crosstown traffic from all of our arterial roadways, allowing them to be reclaimed by pedestrians and local traffic once again, and actually be, you know, a street where people actually want to live on?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:35 AM
surely you agree with me

^ freeways induce sprawl, not necessarily car ownership or transit use.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:37 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
This building got darker

the darker cladding makes those vents a prominent design feature.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:22 PM

The lack of a functional, affordable, public transit system induces private vehicle ownership. Freeways are just a way to manage that outcome.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the darker cladding makes those vents a prominent design feature.
Yeesh, that's bad. Also love how the ordered, symmetrical regularity of the vents is juxtaposed with the irregular window placements (it's, like, post-structuralism, maaan). It just amplifies the cheapness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan