HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Wha???

Geeze man, we want to teach her a lesson? By getting assaulted? This father's first priority is ensuring the safety of his family. Not teaching fricking life lessons. The hell with preserving the sanctity of the north end at the expense of innocents.

Move. Bulldoze. Start over.

Too bad if that offends your north end sensitivities but I've had enough of the crap that goes on there and the bleeding hearts that get offended when radical measures are suggested.
beat up no to not run away from your problems and face them head on i hate this mentality of fuck this i'm moving shit

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
beat up no to not run away from your problems and face them head on i hate this mentality of fuck this i'm moving shit
Yeah, you made that clear.

This is not THEIR problem. But whatever. You see our police have more pressing issues than protecting that little girl. They have speeding tickets to write.

So hate it all you want. Be the caped crusader if you like. But lose the "everybody needs to stay in that environment" attitude. I hate that mentality...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:25 PM

I just heard it on the radio today that there was an internal memo in the Winnipeg Police that said each office was required to write one ticket per shift. It appartently also included the tacticle squad as well.

SO yeah for more traffic tickets.....

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:48 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Qa? I'm assuming "crime" is an acronym? Any info on it?

Regular police foot patrols. It started off as a pilot project over the summer but now it is permanent.

Police get a lot of their funding from tickets. It's either that or more taxes.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Police get a lot of their funding from tickets. It's either that or more taxes.
How much do you suppose that is?

Is this proper? Should the police derive ANY of they revenue through such endeavours?

Should the police be prioritizing speeding over crime prevention?

Here is a link for ya:
http://winnipeg.ca/FinEXT/FPR/files/...ing_budget.pdf

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:22 PM
Armchair urbanist

Officers Not Penalized Over Ticket Quotas
CJOB News Team reporting
8/7/2009

Winnipeg Police Chief Keith McCaskill wants to clarify the issue of ticket quotas.

McCaskill tells CJOB: while officers should be doling out tickets as the opportunities arise, they won't be penalized if they don't reach a quota...

The chief adds that he believes most officers work very hard, but like any organization, performance measures are necessary for some.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:41 PM
I am a typical

On page 70 of that PDF, they brought in 14,338,000 in fine revenue, leaving the traffic safety and enforcement part of the budget with a 3 million dollar surplus in 2007. It is projected to increase to 7 million by 2009. In 2007 the total police budget was $136,308,000 but with the revenue, the net cost is $123,265,000 if I understand the document correctly. So that's 9.6% of the police budget coming from revenue. Also listed under revenue (on page 64) is other revenue things like contracted out police, but the first number is from just traffic enforcement.

In Thunder Bay (link) the 2007 police budget was $31,259,900 with $2,767,400 in revenue, a net cost of $28,492,500, meaning 8.9% of our police budget came from revenue. Our budget doesn't break down where the revenue comes from but I don't know of any contracted out services so I'm guessing it is mostly from traffic tickets. (The police budget doesn't include their buildings and vehicles either, that's managed by the facilities and fleet division. Winnipeg might be different.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:33 AM

If anybody wants to get a reasonably safe walking tour through a few short blocks, the Lviv Ukraine, Folklorama pavillion is located at McGregor and Pritchard. This way you can arrive, and wander a bit under the auspice of heavy tourist cover (for those concerned for their safety at other times) and see what part of the area looks like on foot. There are kids playing in their front yards and on front streets, but much of the walk is not going to be an uplifting experience. However, for anybody looking for a foot level view while feeling safe, now is probably the time to go.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 1:16 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Officers Not Penalized Over Ticket Quotas
CJOB News Team reporting
8/7/2009

Winnipeg Police Chief Keith McCaskill wants to clarify the issue of ticket quotas.

McCaskill tells CJOB: while officers should be doling out tickets as the opportunities arise, they won't be penalized if they don't reach a quota...

The chief adds that he believes most officers work very hard, but like any organization, performance measures are necessary for some.
Well, the Sheriff of Nottingham has to collect taxes.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
If anybody wants to get a reasonably safe walking tour through a few short blocks, the Lviv Ukraine, Folklorama pavillion is located at McGregor and Pritchard. This way you can arrive, and wander a bit under the auspice of heavy tourist cover (for those concerned for their safety at other times) and see what part of the area looks like on foot. There are kids playing in their front yards and on front streets, but much of the walk is not going to be an uplifting experience. However, for anybody looking for a foot level view while feeling safe, now is probably the time to go.
worst time is between 7:30 and 3am i have noticed for major crimes

if anyone wants to go out for a walk and see it all i am willing to get together and walk the area with anyone thats interested nothing new to me

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Well, the Sheriff of Nottingham has to collect taxes.
also going out and giving the tickets to people doing stupid things does make them realize they should not be doing those stupid things... one lady today was comlaining about 800$ of tickets she got all cause she didn't stop at a stop sign properly witch she nailed for expired tags ontop of that witch is 690$ alone and hers were expired 7hrs or so

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 6:16 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

To the northern lights person, I am confused with if the city bulldozed many homes to create urban spaces in the north end, where would the poor people than live... how does this make any sense....

Really all this person seems to be doing is bashing winnipeg because our poor area gets news attention/media, this bothers me....

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 6:18 PM

Bashing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlannerr View Post
To the northern lights person, I am confused with if the city bulldozed many homes to create urban spaces in the north end, where would the poor people than live... how does this make any sense....

Really all this person seems to be doing is bashing winnipeg because our poor area gets news attention/media, this bothers me....
Plannerr? Did you read everything I wrote? I have not been guilty of bashing at all.

Many others, many citizens of Winnipeg, have said things harsher about the North Side than I.

I haven't made one condemnatory mark about Winnipeg as a whole in this thread, nor its people.

I also specifically acknowledge the presence of poor areas in other cities; my interest in starting this thread was to discuss why Winnipeg's poor area is somewhat unusual in the Canadian Context and to arrive at thoughtful conclusions on how the area might be ameliorated.

Please don't misrepresent my remarks that way, its terribly unfair.

Further to your post above, at no time did I advocate wholesale demolition of the North End. Or anything close to that.

I believe that the three infrastructure related suggestions I made were to use one seemingly vacant or underutilized industrial site for a waterfront park; to add an LRT to Main, and to extend one road.

The total impact on housing would be under 5% of the stock in the area, possibly less than 2%.

I don't mind constructive criticism of my posts or thoughts, in fact the reason anyone should post on a forum is to share ideas and indeed to debate them.

But please get my ideas down right first, before criticizing a non-existent position.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Plannerr? Did you read everything I wrote? I have not been guilty of bashing at all.
Odd. I too felt there were ulterior motives when I first read this thread. Can't put my finger on it though. Just gut feel perhaps.

Or maybe it is the pompous tone. Not sure. Maybe it's just me.

Nah...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 8:40 PM

Ulterior Motive

Quote:
Odd. I too felt there were ulterior motives when I first read this thread. Can't put my finger on it though. Just gut feel perhaps.

Nah...
FFS What is this nonsense about an ulterior motive? This is so silly it defies reason!

How could anyone have an ulterior motive in discussing the North End of Winnipeg or anywhere else for that matter?

Ulterior implies unsavoury as if I were to obtain a benefit of some kind my posting?

Sure, I'm really an unscrupulous developer from the East and I'm trying to get people on a posting forum to say constructive things about how to improve the North End......so that I can......????????

I don't own land in Winnipeg and don't have a hand in government there or in Manitoba, nor do I work for any business that would benefit from anything good, bad or sideways in the North end.

Could we now put the conspiracy theory nonsense to rest please!

(The following is to be read with an upper class English (British) accent)

As for a pompous tone; I have not talked down to anyone in this forum, nor have I used all that many big words.

If English isn't your first language or you lack a good education, you can still be a wonderful person, but that doesn't make those of us who speak the language properly pompous!

Last edited by Northern Light; Aug 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM. Reason: amusement

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 9:03 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:

Nah...
No ulterior motives... just a hidden agenda!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 5:32 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
FFS What is this nonsense about an ulterior motive? This is so silly it defies reason!

How could anyone have an ulterior motive in discussing the North End of Winnipeg or anywhere else for that matter?

Ulterior implies unsavoury as if I were to obtain a benefit of some kind my posting?

Sure, I'm really an unscrupulous developer from the East and I'm trying to get people on a posting forum to say constructive things about how to improve the North End......so that I can......????????

I don't own land in Winnipeg and don't have a hand in government there or in Manitoba, nor do I work for any business that would benefit from anything good, bad or sideways in the North end.

Could we now put the conspiracy theory nonsense to rest please!

(The following is to be read with an upper class English (British) accent)

As for a pompous tone; I have not talked down to anyone in this forum, nor have I used all that many big words.

If English isn't your first language or you lack a good education, you can still be a wonderful person, but that doesn't make those of us who speak the language properly pompous!

Alright, sorry if I was quick to judge, however to me It seems like living in a country like Canada it would of been thought of already on how to fix and remove the poverty. I just got the impression that you had the image in your head that Winnipeg's "hood" is just as bad as Vancouver's "hood" or even worse than Toronto's "hood" just because you hear about it on the news all the time; as well that no one cares that it is the way it is.

I just must say that we are a fairly large city, and yes the chance that a large urban area will have some poverty seems very likely...

Also, I believe drugs can be linked to almost any 'bad' situation that exists today; so thus my answer to helping poverty would be to discourage the use of drugs/ weapons/ gangs, ect....??

Last edited by UrbanPlannerr; Aug 11, 2009 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the poverty issue well what about people that go o poor me i am poor and uneducated and can't get out of it yet theres programs to help them and when u tell them they go bull crap and wine and wine and wine

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:39 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the poverty issue well what about people that go o poor me i am poor and uneducated and can't get out of it yet theres programs to help them and when u tell them they go bull crap and wine and wine and wine
Which can be helped during childhood? Possibly it's the way they where raised, as in I am too lazy to try and help make a life of myself?? Possibly linking the parents not trying to push their kids to do better because they where struggling with an addiction at the time. These people may be healthy mentally and physically, but they are lacking something rather, a desire to do better for themselves or simply to care, or even a feeling of hopelessness that needs to be resolved one way or another?

p.s. I am taking complete guesses here

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 7:13 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Another busy 48 hours in the North End..

Man killed in Flora Avenue shooting
By: Staff Writer | Winnipeg Free Press - 11/08/2009 1:32 PM

A member of the Winnipeg Police Forensic Unit at the scene of a shooting on Flora Street Tuesday morning. It appears at least seven shots were fired into the front wall of the two-storey duplex.

WINNIPEG — A 26-year-old man shot outside of a North End home this morning is Winnipeg’s 18th homicide of the year.

The man was found outside a Flore Avenue residence with gunshot wounds and was rushed to hospital in critical condition. He later died, police said.

Forensic investigators were working inside the duplex at 495 Flora Avenue this morning, which appeared to have been riddled with several bullets, after reports of a shooting around 2 a.m. Five other duplex residences were also taped off.

The victim’s identity is not being released at this time pending notification of next of kin, police said.

There are no suspects yet, police said, and the investigation is continuing by the Winnipeg Police Service’s major crimes unit.

Anyone with information regarding the incident or the suspect or suspects is asked to contact investigators at 986-6219 or CrimeStoppers at 786-TIPS (8477).

Today’s shooting comes after two separate reports of gunfire in Winnipeg on Monday.

The first on Monday occurred just after midnight in the 200 block of Austin Street in Point Douglas, a police spokesman said, when "a couple of shots" were fired into an apartment suite.

The second occurred in the 218 Salter St. at 4:45 a.m. Monday where seven shots were fired, again into a suite.

No injuries were reported in either instance. The police department’s major crimes unit is investigating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan