HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:42 AM

Winnipeg's new Planning Director

Does nobody care that the new planning director is not a planner, but a commercial realtor?

And the mayor's best friend of course.

Would you expect the chief financial officer not to have a financial background? How about not having an engineer in charge of public works? Or a doctor in charge of a hospital?

From today's Free Press:

City needs a planner
Updated: April 22 at 07:36 AM CDT
PRINT ARTICLE E-MAIL ARTICLE
The City of Winnipeg has been without a director of property, planning and development since the last head of the department resigned more than one year ago. It's not clear why the key position has gone unfilled for so long, but presumably the city wanted to make sure it found the right man or woman.
In any event, the search apparently has ended and Winnipeg businessman Phil Sheegl is to be named to the post next week. Not much is known at this point about his qualifications, except that he has served on the board of revision, which hears appeals of property assessments, he was the sales agent for a group of condos on Waterfront Drive and he runs Winnix Properties, with offices in Winnipeg and Phoenix.
It appears, however, that the city was seeking a candidate from the private sector, presumably to make the planning department more business savvy and more responsive to the requirements of builders and developers, which frequently complain that the planning department is overly bureaucratic.
There is nothing wrong with improving relations with developers and declaring the city open for business, as Mayor Sam Katz has done on many occasions. Hopefully, however, the city's selection committee has not decided that the only way to make the planning department more business oriented is to put a businessman in charge. There is always a risk in such a scenario of confusing the public interest with private concerns. The two are not always the same.
The city needs a director of property, planning and development who is trained and educated in urban planning, which is the study -- according to the Canadian Institute of Planners -- of the "scientific, aesthetic and orderly disposition of land, resources, facilities and services with a view to securing the physical, economic and social efficiency, health and well-being of urban and rural communities."
Winnipeg needs a professional planner at this time more than ever. Plan Winnipeg, the city's long-range planning document, is coming up for renewal at a critical juncture in the city's development.
The city could run out of uncommitted vacant land within its borders in 20 to 40 years, according to some estimates, meaning the choices that are made over the next few years could determine the final shape and nature of the city. The inner city and downtown areas remain major areas of concern, there is too much substandard housing, and the city is 50 years behind the times in terms of transportation planning. Aboriginal issues and the impact of poverty on the community are also questions that the new director will need to consider. The director should be a person with a long-term vision and considerable experience in public administration, budget development and human resource management.
By all accounts, Mr. Sheegl is an intelligent and capable individual, with special skills as an entrepreneur and training as an engineer. No doubt he is also a quick learner. That's good, because the learning curve at city hall can be very steep, indeed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:59 AM
Majestic

This is more like having a convict in charge of the prison.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:02 AM
surely you agree with me

our mayor is a concert promoter, so why not a real estate agent as head planner.

we all know that the councillors are the city planners in winnipeg anyways....development is at their whim, regardless what the planners say.

remember when our mayor was a planner?...damn you glen murray.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:47 AM
Density and complexity

All things considered, what's the worst he could do?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:34 PM
BANNED

^Nothing that you could detect for at least 20 years!

Last edited by rrskylar; Apr 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 9:26 PM

It's not like great works were coming out of city hall even when we did have a planning director. I think if things are to really get going centre venture needs to be able to get some real teeth! For the budget they have and the way they are treated they do a hell of a job in atleast trying to fix downtown if it was given a larger budget and some respect and autonomy(I sound like a quebecer) I am sure it could work wonders for winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:21 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It's not like great works were coming out of city hall even when we did have a planning director. I think if things are to really get going centre venture needs to be able to get some real teeth! For the budget they have and the way they are treated they do a hell of a job in atleast trying to fix downtown if it was given a larger budget and some respect and autonomy(I sound like a quebecer) I am sure it could work wonders for winnipeg.
Yeah, they could raze the rest of Main Street...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:46 AM

I know I've talked about Winnipeg's need to roll the dice, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind. Hopefully he performs, but as TV stated, it appears as though the voice of the planners in Winnipeg is suppressed a great deal.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Yeah, they could raze the rest of Main Street...
Give them time...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:28 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Give them time...
I remember Mr. McGowan was licking his chops while discussing "taking over" the Woodbine Hotel a few months ago.

I think this guy just likes to collect like iconic neon signs like savages collected scalps.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 12:04 PM

Katz has some nice words for Gerbassi....
"When it comes to ability, intelligence and integrity, Coun. Gerbasi wouldn't even qualify to be in the same building, let alone the same room, as Phil Sheegl," said the mayor, who did not sit on the committee hiring the director.

Hiring spurs call for city hall ethics czar
By: Bartley Kives
Coun. Jenny Gerbasi says Winnipeg needs an ethics watchdog after the city placed a friend of Mayor Sam Katz in charge of the planning, property and development department.

On the floor of city council Wednesday, Gerbasi tried to question the qualifications of new departmental director Phil Sheegl, but was rebuffed by speaker Harry Lazarenko on the grounds personnel matters may not be discussed in the chamber.

Following the meeting, Gerbasi said she is concerned Sheegl, a 47-year-old real estate salesman, entrepreneur and property developer who is friends with Katz, may not have the full range of skills to manage a department also responsible for non-commercial areas such as heritage preservation and neighbourhood development.

"We've hired a director whose primary interest is private development and I'm concerned. I think we need to have somebody who understands planning to run a planning department," Gerbasi said. "He talks about planning, but I don't think he has those qualifications."

The Fort Rouge councillor also said she is troubled by the process that led to Sheegl filling the top planning, property and development job, which had been vacant since former director Harry Finnigan left the city in February 2007.

The hiring process was led by Alex Robinson, who worked as a policy adviser to Katz before he was named acting chief administrator after Annitta Stenning's departure from city hall last fall.

Robinson is now a Katz adviser once again, after Glen Laubenstein was appointed Winnipeg's new chief administrative officer.

"A political appointee was made CAO, appointed a person who was friends with the mayor, and is now a political appointee again. I'm concerned about the perception of how this looks," Gerbasi said, calling for an ethics commissioner.

"Unlike the feds and the province, we don't have the mechanisms to make sure that the interests of developers don't take over the public interest."

Gerbasi's comments angered Katz, who has made no attempt to hide the fact he is friends with Sheegl.

"When it comes to ability, intelligence and integrity, Coun. Gerbasi wouldn't even qualify to be in the same building, let alone the same room, as Phil Sheegl," said the mayor, who did not sit on the committee hiring the director.

"There was a very thorough process that took place within the committee, a committee of quality people who head up different departments within the city. They decided on who they thought was the best candidate for the job. It's been the same practice they've done with the hiring of every director.

"I have no problem with what they've done. I think that process is much better than in previous years, when the mayor got on a plane, flew to Pittsburgh, hired someone unilaterally and no one had any input whatsoever."

By mentioning Pittsburgh, Katz is referring to former Mayor Glen Murray's decision to lure Finnigan to Winnipeg from the Pennsylvania city. Murray, who now lives in Toronto, had been in Winnipeg earlier Wednesday to speak at a convention but could not be reached late in the day to respond to Katz's comment.

Katz also said he finds it ironic for Gerbasi to call for an ethics watchdog when she made decisions behind closed doors when she was a member of Murray's cabinet.

"We may need to protect citizens from Coun. Gerbasi," Katz said. "I am absolutely disgusted, but I am not surprised one bit."

Alex Robinson, meanwhile, said he was perplexed by Gerbasi's comments, noting the councillor did not raise these issues when she was introduced to Sheegl at a closed-door council seminar on Tuesday.

Sheegl declined to respond to Gerbasi. He previously stated he does not believe a planner must lead the department and pledged to disassociate himself from any Winnipeg real estate projects before he begins working for the city on April 29.

Sheegl has worked in real estate and property development for 25 years in Winnipeg, Phoenix, Toronto, Calgary and rural B.C and has also run Internet pharmacies. In Winnipeg, he is best known as a salesman for Sky Waterfront Condominiums and as the presiding officer of the Board of Revision, a quasi-judicial body that hears appeals of city property assessments.

He has said he has no business dealings with Katz, although he sold a house for the mayor "back in the '80s."

Katz was elected mayor in June 2004.

bartley.kives@ freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:23 PM
Closed account

This is the most troubling part.

Quote:
By all accounts, Sheegl knows nothing about any of those things. Councillors who questioned him at a private seminar after he was hired say he seemed out of his depth and displayed little knowledge about the complexity of large cities. In fact, some of his answers, including his view that unused heritage buildings in the downtown should be razed to make way for more surface parking, were alarming to those present.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:46 PM
BANNED

So in other words he (Sheegl ) is out of his element as much as Sam is at playing mayor!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:04 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
All things considered, what's the worst he could do?
Someone mentioned the worse this guy could do would be to replace the urban streetscape with more strip malls on Corydon Ave.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:13 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This shitstorm is just beginning too...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:24 PM
Back from the dead

We'll see.

Personally, I figure that as long as he keeps his hands off the Exchange and doesn't attempt to demolish half of it then his appointment is probably a good thing. We've had plenty of years of people who would rather sit around talking about what we should do rather than actually doing anything so as a developer he might be inclined to do some prodding. On the other hand, yes, it's undeniable that his primary interest may not actually be as any sort of preservationist. Of course, preservation is important but it seems that you can't tear down a run-down shack in this city if somebody who went on to chair some committee in Ottawa ever spent a minute in it.

We can't really have it both ways in terms of the kind of person we want planning this town. We can have the do-nothing types who are pretty heavy on talk or we can have the do-something types who can be reckless. For a change we might as well try the latter.

That's just my opinion mind you.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:46 PM

^^ Why do you think he would keep his hands off the Exchange?

The editorial from today's Free Press deserves to be posted in its entirety.

Mayor's pal underwhelms political masters
Updated: April 24 at 02:00 AM CDT

Mayor Sam Katz says he feels sorry for his good friend Phil Sheegl because the poor soul has made the mistake of actually wanting to work for the people of Winnipeg as the new director of the property, planning and development department.

The city, Katz suggested in a report by Free Press reporter Bartley Kives, is a horrible place to work, partly because it is governed by bothersome politicians with their own opinions and agendas. "I wouldn't wish that grief and aggravation on anybody, let alone a friend. But as you can see, he didn't take my advice."

It's hard to know if the mayor believed all those things, or if he was merely trying to distract attention from the fact his friend had just been hired to one of the most important jobs at city hall. This, from a man who likes to say he's not a politician.

Intended or not, the mayor's comments did not go unnoticed at city hall, where morale is said to have plummeted to a new low in recent years. The "us-them" battle between mayors and civil servants has been a constant problem at city hall since former mayor Susan Thompson was elected in 1992, but it continued under Glen Murray and now under Katz.
Winnipeg mayors have tended to use their influence to ensure that key openings in the civic bureaucracy were filled by candidates of their choosing, or at least their approval. It's one thing, however, to hire someone with whom you've had a past professional relationship and who has all the qualifications for the job. Quite another to hire a close personal friend and occasional business partner whose qualifications are in doubt.
As the new director of the property and planning department, Sheegl is responsible for a variety of complex tasks and services, including land-use planning, heritage preservation, building permits, housing programs, zoning, parking, riverbank management, real estate sales, business development and more.

As such, directors have tended to be people with professional credentials in public administration or urban planning, which is the study of healthy, secure and sustainable urban environments.

By all accounts, Sheegl knows nothing about any of those things. Councillors who questioned him at a private seminar after he was hired say he seemed out of his depth and displayed little knowledge about the complexity of large cities. In fact, some of his answers, including his view that unused heritage buildings in the downtown should be razed to make way for more surface parking, were alarming to those present. (It's those politicians again.)
Sheegl, an engineer by training, was a successful real estate salesman and deal maker who made his mark in Winnipeg and in Phoenix, Ariz.
In selecting Sheegl, the mayor is signalling that he wants the department and the city to be more entrepreneurial and more aggressive in encouraging development, selling surplus city land, and seeking better terms on leases. (The city got hosed on several lease deals in the past by building owners who had the nerve to complain about the city at the same time they were filling their pockets.)

It may be that Sheegl will wow everyone with his real-estate savvy and sell off every last inch of civic property, but hopefully he will also remember that the city is not merely a business, but a public service.
There is also an assumption in Sheegl's appointment and in Mayor Katz's comments on government that the private sector has a better idea of how to run a show than civil servants. The economist John Kenneth Galbraith dismissed this view by pointing out that he would sooner trust a bureaucrat who manages the development of superhighways than a businessman who markets breakfast cereals.

The fact is, the private sector knows very little about how to solve social problems or promote social harmony. The focus of business is on the bottom line, lowering costs and maximizing output and profits. Those are invaluable skills in business, but they don't go very far in addressing social questions.
Nevertheless, now that Sheegl is working for the government, he will have ample opportunity to learn the importance and meaning of public service and public trust. And when developers and builders start complaining -- as they most certainly will continue to do -- about the poor service and delays at city hall, he will be well-positioned to tell them they are being unfair and that they expect too much from the public purse.
dave.obrien@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Mayor Katz just lost my vote in the next civic election, assuming he decides to run.

With that said, I do completely agree with Sprocket that developers at times aren't allowed to undo their top button in this city some times.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:15 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
The economist John Kenneth Galbraith dismissed this view by pointing out that he would sooner trust a bureaucrat who manages the development of superhighways than a businessman who markets breakfast cereals.
Wow, what a brilliant witticism!

Quote:
The fact is, the private sector knows very little about how to solve social problems or promote social harmony. The focus of business is on the bottom line, lowering costs and maximizing output and profits. Those are invaluable skills in business, but they don't go very far in addressing social questions.
How do you know that? Maybe in fact they do. All of the "social problems" you're speaking of, Mr. Free Press writer, arose on the watch of your noble public-serving, non-profit-making bureaucrats and planners.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:08 AM
Density and complexity

A world where planners are responsible for "solv[ing] social problems [and] promoting social harmony" sounds more frightening than anything Friedrich Hayek could have imagined.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan