HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:48 AM
I am a typical

Law enforcement is only capable of cleaning up after a crime has been committed. Police have pretty much admitted that most of what we're asking them to do is beyond their skills and mandate and that other departments need to start pulling their weight or the problem will only get worse.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:11 AM

I partially agree. It's not about skills, though. It's about willingness to step up out of the comfy state of mind that you are an "untouchable" agent of Law, put your stuff together and start preventing the crime. What I am trying to say be closer to the grassroots and share the life of your community and act not only by the orders from above. I used to deal with cops being a security person, although many of them were very friendly, but it felt that they were acting as part of the closed clan per se and not as representatives of common people. In my mind it's the crux of the matter. The rest is applicable.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Law enforcement is only capable of cleaning up after a crime has been committed. Police have pretty much admitted that most of what we're asking them to do is beyond their skills and mandate and that other departments need to start pulling their weight or the problem will only get worse.
I just wanted to quote this as I agree wholeheartedly.

If we don't treat many challenges we are facing as a public health concern, then expect the statistics to continue to spike. It's unfortunate, but here we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhan lin View Post
I partially agree. It's not about skills, though. It's about willingness to step up out of the comfy state of mind that you are an "untouchable" agent of Law, put your stuff together and start preventing the crime. What I am trying to say be closer to the grassroots and share the life of your community and act not only by the orders from above. I used to deal with cops being a security person, although many of them were very friendly, but it felt that they were acting as part of the closed clan per se and not as representatives of common people. In my mind it's the crux of the matter. The rest is applicable.
I certainly cannot argue that. It's still upsetting when Chief Clunis publicly mentioned that there are racists on the force, effectively. It's awful, but I'm glad he came forward to do so. Long term hiring practices need to be looked at, as I would imagine that they are.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:46 PM

http://www.winnipeghomicide.org/2019/2019.html

This link lists all the homicides. Most of the are in the north end area of Winnipeg, unfortunately.

I have never felt any uneasiness about going out in public. I've lived here my whole life. Hiring more police officers or private security will do nothing to curb what's happening. It's a deep rooted cultural change that needs to happen. Not just in Winnipeg either.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.winnipeghomicide.org/2019/2019.html

This link lists all the homicides. Most of the are in the north end area of Winnipeg, unfortunately.

I have never felt any uneasiness about going out in public. I've lived here my whole life. Hiring more police officers or private security will do nothing to curb what's happening. It's a deep rooted cultural change that needs to happen. Not just in Winnipeg either.
Most of them are NOT in the North End:

City (36)
Central (8), North End (12), Northwest (2), Elmwood (3), West End (9), South End (2)

All 12 in the North End have occurred south of Redwood Ave.

Suburbs (4)
Fort Garry (2), St. Boniface (1), St. James (1)

Yes, it's been said for decades that crime results from poverty and economic marginalization, but there is a strong argument that the absence of fathers during childhood is more determinative of criminal behaviour, yet state policy and the legal system strongly contributes to this. Resources need to be used more effectively, and it starts with no tolerance for anti-social behaviours such as aggressive begging and camping on public lands, which is a public health hazard. Is it in anyone's interest, esp. the indigent, to see the re-appearance of cholera and typhus?

I'm very tired of society being held hostage by a small number of screeching SJWs, whose numbers are far smaller than their volume.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:29 PM

^ by "Central", I mean downtown.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:31 PM

By North end, I mean not in Waverley west. North end, west end, whatever.

It's not meant to be a disparaging comment.

central, north end, west end account for 29. That's a large number. Those are older central neighbourhoods that have problems with gang activity among other things.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
By North end, I mean not in Waverley west. North end, west end, whatever.

It's not meant to be a disparaging comment.

central, north end, west end account for 29. That's a large number. Those are older central neighbourhoods that have problems with gang activity among other things.
There are specific boundaries for the North End. Also at least two in the West End have occurred in areas that are not prone to gang activity.

Yes, we had this discussion the other day. 36 of 40 within the boundaries of the old City of Winnipeg, resulting in a higher homicide rate than the City of Chicago (447 through Nov. 6th). Minneapolis has the same number (36) for the year so far, but in a population of about 425,000. If you want to compare with other Canadian cities using amalgamated boundaries, Edmonton (932,000) has had 28, Calgary (1.24m) 16 and Toronto (2.73m) 59. Populations are for 2016, Winnipeg's was 705,000. There was a comment a few days ago that Winnipeg should not compare itself with U.S. cities so there you go.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:38 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhan lin View Post
That's part of the nature of policing in North America. They are trained that the criminals are their adversaries, and then trained that entire segments of the population are potential criminals as opposed to people.

One thing that I do see clearly, is that those who have fond memories of the police (almost always white people, but not every time; older native people have shared a couple positive stories too) knew police not as a law enforcement detached from their neighbourhood, but as residents of their neighbourhood and people they would see in and out of uniform and both of them would get to know each other as people.

Today, in my city at least and likely also Winnipeg, the police live in new suburbs or rural white areas, where they have few native friends, so their only native friends are among the dozen or so native police officers on the force which they might rarely work with. Their job involves them going into the city, having confrontation after confrontation with, usually, native people, and then going home. Native people have the inverse: they're living in neighbourhoods that are largely poor and native, and police to them are a group of white uniformed men who arrive in a car, scream at them, sometimes arrest them, and then leave.

It's no wonder there's a breakdown of trust. Both sides are seeing the other as adversaries more than humans. This on top of the fact that we're already asking the police to take on far, far more than they were originally intended to do. I don't think many officers went into policing as a career thinking "I'm going to be an amateur psychologist/marriage counsellor/healthcare practitioner 90% of the time!" but here we are. I know that quite a few cops have actually quit the force here, and a few have also been fired or demoted for their behaviour.

Thunder Bay's police chief has admitted the same thing as yours: there are racists in the force, there is structural racism in policing, but we're working to change that. It takes time to change this. But the commitment at the top is there, and that's an important step to take. Kind of ironically, she's the police officer I've met and talked to the most. (Her predecessors were practically invisible.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:39 AM
BANNED

How many more threads are going to be hijacked into discussions about crime? So far I count three with a borderline fourth. Where is the moderators when you need them? FFS

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
How many more threads are going to be hijacked into discussions about crime? So far I count three with a borderline fourth. Where is the moderators when you need them? FFS
This thread is Winnipeg - Of Interest, and crime is on people's minds of late.

Is there a local matter of interest that you wish to discuss? Start typing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This thread is Winnipeg - Of Interest, and crime is on people's minds of late.

Is there a local matter of interest that you wish to discuss? Start typing.
The fact that you and another person have hijacked several threads with the same tripe needs to end. Pick a thread to discuss your obsession (stick to a multipurpose thread like this one) and quit polluting all others. The rest of us who would like to read and discuss the other threads specific topic would very mich appreciate it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:36 AM
I am a typical

Then what do you want to talk about? You don't change the subject by saying "stop talking about the subject!", you do it by changing the subject.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:02 AM

Quote:
The fact that you and another person have hijacked several threads with the same tripe needs to end. Pick a thread to discuss your obsession (stick to a multipurpose thread like this one) and quit polluting all others. The rest of us who would like to read and discuss the other threads specific topic would very mich appreciate it.
Seven of your last eight posts have been whiny self-indulgent nonsense. Get it together.

Canada's biggest benefit: our proximity and physical attachment to The United States of America.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:45 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

Well, back in the days of the 12-channel cable system, or CB radio, or broadcast radio... if you don't like what's on, Change the Channel!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:52 PM

Old St. Boniface City Hall and Fire Hall are up for sale… the City has put them on the market.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sale-1.5358912

According to the article, repurposing the old City Hall in particular could be difficult since the interior is protected by heritage bylaws, so no condo redevelopments, conversion to indoor playground, etc.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:36 PM

World Trade Centre found their free space. $1 rent in there haha. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:29 PM

It's insane to me that the city has been paying rent and maintenance costs for all those organizations for years.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:37 PM

^ Legacy of unicity. The City ended up with a pile of town halls and fire halls with no real practical purpose. Most of them remain underused to this day.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Legacy of unicity. The City ended up with a pile of town halls and fire halls with no real practical purpose. Most of them remain underused to this day.
There's no reason they couldn't be leasing the space out at market, or even sub-market rates. $1 is just absurd – non-profits still pay rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan