HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Why, Whistler is really far away and is ridiculously expensive. Most Albertans go to Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse and Revy, and all those hills got dumped on.
Oh I know believe me. The parking lots of those resorts are completely taken over by Albertans. It's like there aren't any ski resorts in Alberta at all haha!
And I'll never forget coming from the east on highway 3 the amount of Yukon XLs turning north without any front plates! I'm like are the Alberta hills all closed or what!

Last edited by Denscity; Jan 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:09 PM

There just aren't enough hills to meet the demand in Alberta, and I'd wager to say the 3 Banf hills get more foreign tourists than any hill in BC not named Whistler (and it's probably close) adding to the problem for locals. We need more resorts on this side of the divide, so hopefully Fortress will reopen one day, and hopefully Louise, Sunshine and Castle can all expand!

In other news, lots of snow in the mountains this week, Revy is running away with the snow totals and the more southern hills like Fernie and Castle seems to be missing out. Louise had 26cm overnight and is forecast for about 30 more today, Kicking Horse is in a similar boat to Louise.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:58 PM

Powder heaven in Banff right now...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 8:21 AM

Marmot Basin was blessed with plenty of snow this last week. Excellent conditions for my boy to learn how to tackle moguls without getting bruised-up.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:48 PM

Sounds like I should be travelling into the Interior or further inland to ski this year. The skiing sounds heavenly.

Whistler's had a nasty time with lift problems this year. It's new Blackcomb Gondola has been an operational disaster, and it sounds like Symphony is still dealing with gremlins that have haunted it since installation.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:20 PM

Longest lines I've ever seen at Louise Saturday, fortunately they all moved quickly. Longest wait was for the Platter, but apparently there was a mechanical issue. The snow on the back was so deep, even with a powder board it was a fight to stay on top of it!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Powder heaven in Banff right now...
I haven't been this year, but I've heard that the snow has been very good.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:09 PM
HVAC guru

SilverStar voted a top ski resort

Awards given to the resort by Okanagan Life, USA Today, Business Insider, British Columbia Magazine

It’s shaping up to be a great season for SilverStar Mountain Resort, which took top honours with USA Today, British Columbia Magazine and Okanagan Life’s “Best of” Reader’s Choice Awards.

For the seventh year in a row, Okanagan residents valley-wide have voted SilverStar the No. 1 ski resort in the Okanagan in Okanagan Life Magazine. Additional best of honours for the resort in the magazine include Best Family Resort, Best Place to Get Married, Best Tourist Attraction and Best Place for an Adrenaline Rush.

USA Today also ranked the SilverStar/Sovereign Lake trail network in the Top Ten Cross-country ski destinations in North America, and the only Canadian Resort to be named on the list.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/co...op-ski-resort/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS View Post
I haven't been this year, but I've heard that the snow has been very good.
It's not great anymore, been thoroughly slashed now lol. Was at Louise yesterday, and it was hard packed and groomed. There are a few runs where there are rocks and stumps sticking through again, they need another big dump or two again...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
It's not great anymore, been thoroughly slashed now lol. Was at Louise yesterday, and it was hard packed and groomed. There are a few runs where there are rocks and stumps sticking through again, they need another big dump or two again...
Supposed to snow in Calgary, maybe the mountains will get some extra.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:36 AM

I'm not surprised. I've only to Silver Star once, but loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
SilverStar voted a top ski resort

Awards given to the resort by Okanagan Life, USA Today, Business Insider, British Columbia Magazine

It’s shaping up to be a great season for SilverStar Mountain Resort, which took top honours with USA Today, British Columbia Magazine and Okanagan Life’s “Best of” Reader’s Choice Awards.

For the seventh year in a row, Okanagan residents valley-wide have voted SilverStar the No. 1 ski resort in the Okanagan in Okanagan Life Magazine. Additional best of honours for the resort in the magazine include Best Family Resort, Best Place to Get Married, Best Tourist Attraction and Best Place for an Adrenaline Rush.

USA Today also ranked the SilverStar/Sovereign Lake trail network in the Top Ten Cross-country ski destinations in North America, and the only Canadian Resort to be named on the list.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/co...op-ski-resort/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:49 AM

Fantastic Saturday in Whistler two weeks ago. Mountains had been dumped by an incredible 104 cm of powder the previous day which made for the deepest powder we have ever experienced in Whistler.

Knowing that it will be busy, we arrived in Creekside already at 7am. Even this early there were few people before us and by 8am the line-up had grown to be 300-400 people. Better arrive early on powder days!

Conditions up on the mountain were amazing with powder anywhere. It was hard to remember that the season started off pretty bad in November.

Some people waited for an hour for Harmony Express to open after avalanche control wrapped up after 11am.

The entire Harmony Bowl was ungroomed and snow was really a meter deep. It was powder heaven and actually really hard to ski.

It was a busy day in Whistler but with such condition certainly worth it. They have had a great season so far and this might have been one of the best day ever.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 5:40 PM

Amazing shots and glad to hear you had great conditions. I'm wondering what it's really like there now, as a couple of days ago they rated their conditions as "variable" (which really means "marginal") and today it's "hard packed". I wonder if it's been raining up there again.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
There just aren't enough hills to meet the demand in Alberta, and I'd wager to say the 3 Banf hills get more foreign tourists than any hill in BC not named Whistler (and it's probably close) adding to the problem for locals. We need more resorts on this side of the divide, so hopefully Fortress will reopen one day, and hopefully Louise, Sunshine and Castle can all expand!

In other news, lots of snow in the mountains this week, Revy is running away with the snow totals and the more southern hills like Fernie and Castle seems to be missing out. Louise had 26cm overnight and is forecast for about 30 more today, Kicking Horse is in a similar boat to Louise.
Ah the population thing. And I guess I assumed there were more Alberta Rockies ski hills than there are.
And it’s easy to dominate a sparsely populated area like here in the Kootenays with a million plus city like Calgary.
Just like the Ontario people do in Nelson and Whistler.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ah the population thing. And I guess I assumed there were more Alberta Rockies ski hills than there are.
And it’s easy to dominate a sparsely populated area like here in the Kootenays with a million plus city like Calgary.
Just like the Ontario people do in Nelson and Whistler.
There are only 6 proper ski hills in Alberta (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Norquay, Nakiska, Castle Mountain and Marmot Basin). We have a few smaller ones, and a few cat skiing operations, but most people will go to the resorts, or drive another hour to the eastern BC hills.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
There are only 6 proper ski hills in Alberta (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Norquay, Nakiska, Castle Mountain and Marmot Basin). We have a few smaller ones, and a few cat skiing operations, but most people will go to the resorts, or drive another hour to the eastern BC hills.
Ah ok I get it. I guess because there are so many hills around me I don’t really know about the ski hill scene over the border.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:11 PM

Alberta youth steal $17000 worth of skis and snowboards from Fernie resort!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:27 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Ah ok I get it. I guess because there are so many hills around me I don’t really know about the ski hill scene over the border.
British Columbians are spoiled by how many hills there are and how close they are. It's what, 20 minutes from downtown Nelson to Whitewater, maybe 10 minutes from Fernie to Red ? Vernon is barely a half hour from Silver Star and Kelowna is only a little farther from Big White. Kamloops to Sun Peaks is a half hour or so.

That's why I don't ski that much any more. Edmonton is just way too far removed to go on a regular basis. So now I typically do my skiing when I am on holidays in BC

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Alberta youth steal $17000 worth of skis and snowboards from Fernie resort!
Don't think you really needed to point out the Alberta connection, people steal skis and snowboards from hills all the time, this is why I have a lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
maybe 10 minutes from Fernie to Red ?
Fernie to Red is at least 4 hours, maybe you meant Rossland? Fernie to Fernie is about 10 minutes though lol.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:17 PM
HVAC guru

^ whups.. yeah definitely meant Rossland!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia