HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:12 PM

Embassy Suites is peeking above ground. Walgreens is getting close to opening back up. I'll be taking pics later this week.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:02 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I got in touch with the developer on the Broadway Lofts...

Quote:
We are still on track although the pace of progress is incredibly slow. We have completed the construction documents for the office building and garage and are still working on the apartment drawings. The project will be substantially the same as you saw earlier. It will definitely be a unique urban project quite different from prototypical, suburban apartments. We are working on a significant pre-lease which would put the office project on schedule to start in mid May. Without that lease and given the current economic environment, we will be forced to wait on starting the commercial piece until we have some significant pre-leasing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
We are working on a significant pre-lease which would put the office project on schedule to start in mid May. Without that lease and given the current economic environment, we will be forced to wait on starting the commercial piece until we have some significant pre-leasing....
Hopefully this project gets moving, its starting to blend in with the other abandoned, decaying buildings.

[IMG][/IMG]
Drove by the RC mall and it is definitely going for the "Tuscan Texan" feel. The entrance to the RW is now a large stone arch, much better than the walk-thru of the mall you had to do before. Fogo de Chao is scheduled to open late Summer of this year.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:46 AM

Agree the new entrence is gonna be an improvement. . . .

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Hopefully this project gets moving, its starting to blend in with the other abandoned, decaying buildings.

[IMG][/IMG]
Drove by the RC mall and it is definitely going for the "Tuscan Texan" feel. The entrance to the RW is now a large stone arch, much better than the walk-thru of the mall you had to do before. Fogo de Chao is scheduled to open late Summer of this year.
Pictures anyone?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:15 PM

Vidorra Ribbon Cutting

Today was the official grand opening of Vidorra.
Sources tell me that this tower is about 50% sold, and needs to reach 90% before the second tower comes into play, will see.
This story should be on KSAT 12 tonight, since their the only television crew I saw out there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Today was the official grand opening of Vidorra.
Sources tell me that this tower is about 50% sold, and needs to reach 90% before the second tower comes into play, will see.
This story should be on KSAT 12 tonight, since their the only television crew I saw out there.
Thats awesome!!! Finally I don'1 see how these condos beat the condos on the top floors of the Grand Hyatt to completion. . . .Do u think if the vidorra reach a sudden growth in buyers soon they'll make the 2nd tower even taller??

O yeah i usually drive through town after school cause i live on the opposite side of town from my school so I can grab some pics if an1 has any certain suggestions. . . Or requests

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 2:57 AM

Some pics I took 2day 3/29/09
the Vistiana

the Embassey suite hole coming up

The soon 2 b new police station behind the court house

And some shots of Downtown

I couldn't get no Broadway updates 2day but i can get some on tuesday

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 2:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

Vistana is such a nice building. Too bad it's not as tall as it is wide and vice versa.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Pictures anyone?

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:22 PM

"The soon 2 b new police station behind the court house"

This photo is of the expansion of the Bexar County Justice Center, not the new Police department.

The city is still not certain where the new Public Safety Headquarters City Police and Fire) will be. There isn't a whole lot of time to get the ball rolling though. I believe that the Feds want to be into there future building, that will be built where the current Headquarters is, by 2015.

I haven't heard any news in the last month or so, so I am not sure if anything has changed. I got a new job, and I am not privy to the information that I was before.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:07 PM
James

The Feds as in moving from Hemisfair park? I'm still a little confused about which offices are moving.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:24 PM

Feds moving from Hemisfair to current location of Police HQ's. So that means the new Police/Fire HQ's must be built so that they can move out of their current spot so that the Feds can get their new building. That whole area is going to be reshaped in the next 5 years. The probation offices are moving over by County jail, Annex is going to be a parking lot, the new Fed builiding, and a new Public Safety HQ's still being figured out. I wonder if they could be the example of how garage parking is important in DT to maximize usage of space? Maybe they could build their HQ's on the parking lot on Santa Rosa/Dolorosa, if not maybe they could convert the jail tower into condos?
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Apr 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:12 PM
James

That's going to be an awesome area for downtown business, even it is a little bit. People are going to see something other than hotels under construction in downtown and it will certainly spur some interest. So does this mean they are going to tear down the ugly fed building in hemisfair?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:04 PM

New downtown center to open soon

from the VIA Blog

Posted: 4/7/2009

Quote:
VIA's new Downtown Information Center will be open soon, and when it's up and running bus riders in the central business district will have more amenities available to them.

The new center will be at 211 West Commerce Street in the Melrose Building, and it will competely replace the current facility on Houston Street at Navarro Street. The new place will have such conveniences and comforts as water fountains, vending machines, pocket schedules, ticket sales, information, an air-conditioned waiting area, restrooms, telephones, photo identification processing, on-site security, and a real-time bus arrival display.

The opening for the Downtown Information Center is scheduled for mid-May. Watch out for more details as time wears on.
I guess that puts an end to the idea/rumor that VIA was going to use the famous and "historical" Alamo Fish Market for an Info Center since St. Marys/Commerce is one of the busiest stops.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Apr 8, 2009 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:53 PM
James

So if they aren't using the alamo fish market... who could be using the property?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
from the VIA Blog

Posted: 4/7/2009

I guess that puts an end to the idea/rumor that VIA was going to use the famous and "historical" Alamo Fish Market for an Info Center since St. Marys/Commerce is one of the busiest stops.
I bought a pitch-fork last week to do some yard work.

that fish market would be a worthy foe for my new tool. midnight demolition mob, anyone?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:37 PM

Grocery Store Downtown

Now I know you were expecting some news or plans to be posted, and I'm doing this as a discussion nudge, but we have discussed here before, and some question what should come first; the grocery store or the residents? One thing most of us agree on is the fact that Downtown should be more walkable and needs improvements on many fronts.

With about 60 or so (unsold) units at Vidorra waiting to be filled, 250 apartments at Vistana, 240 or so units at Durango Phase/Victoria Commons underway and set for completion early next year (perfect timing for BRAC by the way,) St. B's condos, Judson Lofts, etc., etc., it is safe to say that the amount of residents DT can only increase.

Here is an interesting article I found that brings up the grocery store as a lure to residents to move in that area.

I know this is not comparing oranges to oranges, I know.. but while this is definitely different demographics and location, it does have similarities with our downtown.
  1. High worker population/low resident #s
  2. Anticipation of a major project; theirs is the extension of the Metro to Dulles through Tyson's, ours is River North with the possibility of Mass Transit as well.
  3. Lack of a walkable grocery store.

Just thought I would bring up the subject again, now that Vidorra/Vistana are open for business and even in small numbers, the demand for resident services has to be there.
Another article here this one about a downtown.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:32 PM

Alamo Fish Building

I'm with SAKyle04, let me know when

I know this isn't downtown, but has anyone seen the new ALoft hotel over by the old Central Park Mall.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 1:10 PM

Looking at the April 15th agenda for the HDRC;
  • Fish Market-Denied again.
  • Embassy Suites - Theres a nice looking walk thru fountain area to be added at river level. see page 190.
  • Pearl CIA building - Final approval for construction, after Oct. 18th conceptual approval of the building and final approval of the location/site plan. Five-story building will include a three hundred car-parking garage, space for the Culinary Institute of America, retail lease space, residential lease space, and office lease space
and in this episode of saving an historical landmark - 1102 Fred Rd..... yes the old Ice House is officially historic now.
Looking at the list of historical items in SA is like walking in an "antique store" and there being nothing but old crap in there except a couple of true antiques.\

Also on a side note the former Hotel Mimosa turns into Four Points by Sheraton
here is the article as posted on the Clocking In; MySA.com blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
working at nustar, i have seen some great initiatives come out of the company's charitable arm. many of those are downtown in the haven for hope.
has anyone else seen what is going on over there?
I took the long way home yesterday and was surprised to see the amount of progress done in that inner-west neighborhood.
Once the HFH opens, I'm assuming the Westside Multimodal station will begin to take form to coincide with the 2012 BRT plan that VIA has. That whole area is taking shape nicely.
Also we can't forget the capital improvement and expansion of UH downtown that also has a target date of 2012.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Apr 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio