HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Does anyone know who will occupy the current GS HQ once their new HQ is ready to be moved in?
I don't think anyone has signed on as yet, but I could be wrong. I remember reading something about it, but it can't be too certain...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 3:37 PM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 18, 2009

__

__

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

I think that once this building is completed it will be easily ignored and forgotten.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:13 PM

From what I'm seeing in the pictures this building really adds to the atmosphere already created by the World Financial Center. It's shape and size really complements what is already there. It's going to be fun to watch this area come back in a new and exciting way.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:15 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I think that once this building is completed it will be easily ignored and forgotten.
It depends. This building is not terribly iconic as it is massive, but being that it's such a massive building (especially when looking at it from the Hudson), that in itself can make the building remembered. Compare it to the likes of 55 Water Street and 1 NY Plaza. Nothing iconic about those buildings, yet their size makes them remebered when visualizing Lower Manhattan.

I think the area itself though (GS and the WFC) will be industry known as an iconic place. Having the HQ's of Goldman Sachs, American Express, Merrill Lynch, Deloitte, and the regional HQ of Commerzbank all in one small place is pretty powerful.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That won't happen. Even when the new WTC is completed, the prominence of this tower on the waterfront won't change.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 6:07 PM
World Machine

Now that's a beautiful scene right there. I can only imagine what that same shot will look like with the Trade Center in a few years. Amazing!

On a side note, I love how the Verizon Building is in company of modern towers. Looks great from that perspective.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
On a side note, I love how the Verizon Building is in company of modern towers. Looks great from that perspective.
It's sandwiched in by all of those modern, sleek office towers. But it's probably better than all of them at ground level. At least once all the cunstruction moves away.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:46 AM

It's incredible how dense Lower Manhattan is.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:39 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's sandwiched in by all of those modern, sleek office towers. But it's probably better than all of them at ground level. At least once all the cunstruction moves away.
What do you mean better than all of them at ground level? Do you mean more aesthetically pleasing than yes. I thought you were usually one of the ones on here that didnt like old buildings and wanted NYC just to be all glass with a few older buildings here and there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
What do you mean better than all of them at ground level? Do you mean more aesthetically pleasing than yes. I thought you were usually one of the ones on here that didnt like old buildings and wanted NYC just to be all glass with a few older buildings here and there.
I take every building on a case by case basis. I don't just like something because it's old, no. Walking in Manhattan, especially Midtown, you can see plenty of old crap that's just there, nothing special or appealing about it.

But the Verizon isn't just any old building. And just like 90 West St, it had to be restored after 9/11, a victim of it's proximity to the WTC.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:01 AM
Onkel Dagobert

Quote:

I think the area itself though (GS and the WFC) will be industry known as an iconic place. Having the HQ's of Goldman Sachs, American Express, Merrill Lynch, Deloitte, and the regional HQ of Commerzbank all in one small place is pretty powerful.
Yeah, especially on the mornings that the federal bail-out checks arrive from D.C.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:33 AM
Astorian

Some pics I took earlier today!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
Yeah, especially on the mornings that the federal bail-out checks arrive from D.C.
What, you mean they haven't arrived! Damn, there goes the new Jet...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 1:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
I love this side of the tower.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 4:20 AM

^ Yes, that side is interesting, I love the curve of the western face. The more I see this bldg the more I get the urge to draw it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:14 PM
we built this city

It looks Euro style, like something in Germany or the Netherlands. Not really what I was thinking the Goldman Sachs headquarters would look like, but an attractive tower.

What is the job market in NYC like these days?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
What is the job market in NYC like these days?
Pretty much the same as it is everywhere else - not great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive