HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:44 AM
Trendy.

Flin Flon, Manitoba... What?

Hi guys,

Do any of you know anything about Flin Flon, MB and what it's like? I have a friend who is taking a job up there. All I know is that it's the 9th largest city in Manitoba and is quite... removed from civilization.

Anyone ever been?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:50 AM
Movin' on up

It is a nice little city settled in the Canadian Shield surrounded by gorgeous and plantiful lakes. It is a very scenic town with a huge mining industry. I have relatives up there. The city also has some of the steepest sloped street in the prairies; it almost makes you feel like you are in San Francisco or something. I like that city.

The Pas, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. I lived there for 3 month on a government contract, and I couldn't wait to get out!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:02 AM
Trendy.

What's it like to get there? How does it feel to be so... isolated?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:26 AM
GT Champion

Ahh Flin Flon, home of above ground sewers, a GIANT smelter stack and of course Flintabbatey Flonatin

Nice scenery, but it really really really is in the middle of nowhere

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:46 AM
the first stamp is free

Flin Flon is actually not bad. It's smack in the Cdn. Sheild and it doesn't get nearly as cold there as it does in Thompson...

My Dad grew up there and still refers to it as "god's country"...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:42 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanE View Post
Ahh Flin Flon, home of above ground sewers, a GIANT smelter stack and of course Flintabbatey Flonatin

Nice scenery, but it really really really is in the middle of nowhere
You want to talk about the middle of nowhere? Let's talk about Fort MacMurray, Alberta. A city with absolutely no culture and no towns around it for hundreds of kilometers; an area that is tearing up every square inch of forest around it. From space it's beginning to look like a giant moonscape. Flin Flon is in an area that isn't as isolated, plus the outdoor life is to die for in the shield country, IMO. It's easy to get to. Just go up Highway 10 from Brandon about 7 hours.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 26, 2007 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:43 AM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
You want to talk about the middle of nowhere? Let's talk about Fort MacMurray, Alberta. A city with absolutely no culture and no towns around it for hundreds of kilometers; an area that is tearing up every square inch of forest around it. From space it's beginning to look like a giant moonscape. Flin Flon is in an area that isn't as isolated, plus the outdoor life is to die for in the shield country, IMO. It's easy to get to. Just go up Highway 10 from Brandon about 7 hours.
Have you actually been up to Fort MacMurray?? There are a couple of spots where the tar sands are that are open and torn up, but outside of that, it just miles and miles of forest and nothing but, throw in some lakes and some sand dunes and actually the outdoor life is very similar to Flin Flon

As far as remoteness, well, it is remote for sure, but it's a lot closer to a city than Flin Flon is. Fort Mac is 3 1/2 - 4hours from Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:47 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
Have you actually been up to Fort MacMurray?? There are a couple of spots where the tar sands are that are open and torn up, but outside of that, it just miles and miles of forest and nothing but, and actually the outdoor life is very similar to Flin Flon

As far as remoteness, well, it is remote for sure, but it's a lot closer to a city than Flin Flon is. Fort Mac is 3 1/2 - 4hours from Edmonton.
Yes I have, and I was referring to the fact that there are no immediate towns around fort mac that are of any significance. Around flin flon, you have The Pas, Thompson, Hudson Bay SK all within a 2.5 hr drive, and if you want to go the distance, even Prince Albert, SK . Have a closer look; you can see that those areas around FM are more disturbed than you think. And with the proposed expansion of the tar sands, this will only get much much worse. Man tries to hide it, but there are tell tail signs that they have made their mark.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:58 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Yes I have, and I was referring to the fact that there are no immediate towns around fort mac that are of any significance. Around flin flon, you have The Pas, Thompson, Hudson Bay SK all within a 2.5 hr drive, and if you want to go the distance, even Prince Albert, SK . Have a closer look; you can see that those areas around FM are more disturbed than you think. And with the proposed expansion of the tar sands, this will only get much much worse. Man tries to hide it, but there are tell tail signs that they have made their mark.
So in Flin Flon, The closest towns are towns like The Pas, and Thompson, and they're 2.5 hours away....doesn't that seem remote to you. To me that's the dictionary example of remote.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

from the peg go up the number 6 and then cut over to the 10 on 60.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:07 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
So in Flin Flon, The closest towns are towns like The Pas, and Thompson, and they're 2.5 hours away....doesn't that seem remote to you. To me that's the dictionary example of remote.
Compared to other centres like Inuvik, Iqaluit, Cambridge Bay, etc. Flin Flon is not as remote as some may claim. Yes, somewhat remote, but not that bad; gimme a break!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:10 AM
Trendy.

What do you do if you need gas on the way to Flin Flon? Is there absolutely nothing around on Highway 10?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area. It just seems out in the wilderness...

...and above ground sewers? Que?!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:17 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
What do you do if you need gas on the way to Flin Flon? Is there absolutely nothing around on Highway 10?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area. It just seems out in the wilderness...

There are gas stations in Cranberry Portage, Wanless and The Pas (TP), and a few small no-name stations along the way between FF and TP. The ones outside town probably close at around 9-10pm.

Between The Pas and Swan River, the only gas station on the hwy that I am aware of is in Mafeking. After Swan River you are in a more populous area with your typical hwy/town/gas station ratio.

In the more remote areas outside towns, just plan your trip accordingly to make sure you don't drive during times where stations are closed. It's very easy. This is all along Highway 10 in western Manitoba. Along highway 6 is more remote.

Where are you coming from anyway?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:02 AM
Trendy.

Winterpeg or Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Winterpeg or Saskatoon.
take a sleeping bag.... comes in handy if ya run outa gas to keep warm

um actualy take a winter survial kit... and a jery can of petrol

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 8:48 AM
Trendy.

Do cell phones work along the highways?

Y'all are scaring me. lol

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:49 PM
Mooderator

There used to be that NFB "History of Flin Flon" vignette on TV all the time when I was growing up.. I'm sure some of you guys will remember it. Wish I could find it on the web, that would be great for Sulley to see.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:56 PM
Mooderator

http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php?season=3

Go to Week of December 6, 2005 and click on 'Hepatitis'.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:59 PM

i visited a few times as my bro lived in the pas for 2 years and part of his sales region included Flin Flon. Amazing fishing!!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:53 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
In a lot of Northern Communities, the ground in permafrost, so they build sewer lines, etc. above ground. Iqaluit is probably the largest city that has them. They can't build them underground, and in many cases buildings are on stilts as well. I didn't know Flin Flon was like that though.

Flin Flon is where the government proved it doesn't know how to grow pot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan