HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:09 PM

A "Prairie Province" isn't strictly a geographic description. It has historical, economic, demographic context. Obviously Manitoba, Alberta, Sask are more than just prairie (beautiful as it is).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:11 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Since when did being flat and featureless have anything to do with being a prairie province? Do you think Alberta and Saskatchewan are flat and featureless?
Where did I suggest that?

There is nothing "wrong" with the prairies. However this thread is about the outdoors, and quite frankly the term "prairie" does not conjure up visions of anything really outdoorsy in my mind.

I am simply trying to point out that while Manitoba might be deemed to be prairie in a physical/political/sociolgical sense - in the realm of the great outdoors that fairly insignificant section in the southwest of the province does not exactly do the rest of the province justice. And unfortunately most people don't see that - especially driving through along the TCH. Apparently even people who have lived here for 28 years don't even realize it...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:27 AM
菠蘿油

obviously, "prairie province" is a moniker, not a realistic geographic description. "prairie provinces" is convenient shorthand for alberta, saskatchewan and manitoba. that's all.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:31 AM
Change is good

. Dp Del Plz Mod

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Where did I suggest that?

There is nothing "wrong" with the prairies. However this thread is about the outdoors, and quite frankly the term "prairie" does not conjure up visions of anything really outdoorsy in my mind.

I am simply trying to point out that while Manitoba might be deemed to be prairie in a physical/political/sociolgical sense - in the realm of the great outdoors that fairly insignificant section in the southwest of the province does not exactly do the rest of the province justice. And unfortunately most people don't see that - especially driving through along the TCH. Apparently even people who have lived here for 28 years don't even realize it...
Drew, I'm sure you would appreciate that only 2/5ths of Alberta can be labeled Prairie. Most areas north/NW/NE of Edmonton are forest, lakes, and rivers and rolling hills.
Same with north/NW/NE of Saskatoon.
I'm not disagreeing with you either. Only the Southern Central, and South-West parts of MB are "Prairie" like. This said, MB is still a prairie province, even if only in part, no matter how you like to consider it. By your logic, I could dismiss AB and SK as a prairie province, because, according to your logic, if some or part of the province(s) are not pastureland/prairie land, then you can't call it a prairie province.

AB/SASK/MB = prairie provinces. Theres nothing more to discuss here about it, and you simply can't refute it.

You'll see here, that yes, Sask / AB have a bigger chunk of prairie then MB, but, definately, none of the 3 provinces are fully prairie by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully you can make out what the colours are supposed to represent.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 12:46 AM
A long time gone

A very small part of Manitoba is actually prairie ecosystem, I'm not saying that prairie is good or bad, just that Manitoba is not prairie.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:00 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
A very small part of Manitoba is actually prairie ecosystem, I'm not saying that prairie is good or bad, just that Manitoba is not prairie.
However, the prairie is where the vast majority of Manitoba's population lives.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:10 AM

since when was this ever even an issue? Manitoba is a prairie province. The prairie provinces are Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

"Prairie province" is just a term that links the 3 provinces, because Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba happen to all have parts of the great plains. I've never heard Manitoba referred to as anything else

If Manitoba isn't a prairie province, then neither is Saskatchewan or Alberta. The argument that Manitoba isn't all prairie is moot, because both Saskatchewan and Alberta are also less than 50% prairie.

besides, probably 90% of Manitoba lives in the prairie anyways, I don't know why you're fighting the definition so much

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:18 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
since when was this ever even an issue? Manitoba is a prairie province. The prairie provinces are Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

"Prairie province" is just a term that links the 3 provinces, because Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba happen to all have parts of the great plains. I've never heard Manitoba referred to as anything else

If Manitoba isn't a prairie province, then neither is Saskatchewan or Alberta. The argument that Manitoba isn't all prairie is moot, because both Saskatchewan and Alberta are also less than 50% prairie.

besides, probably 90% of Manitoba lives in the prairie anyways, I don't know why you're fighting the definition so much

well, because that's just incorrect! Manitoba is mostly candian shield with some artic tundra, and has a long coast on the Hudson Bay. So, physically and geographically Manitoba is just like northern Ontario and Western Quebec... wilderness, harsh climate and native outposts. I'm not talking about population (since this thread is about outdoors), but also keep in mind that Manitoba native population in the reserves is on the rise.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:37 AM
Architecture enthusiast

[QUOTE=drew;2541059]Where did I suggest that?

I am simply trying to point out that while Manitoba might be deemed to be prairie in a physical/political/sociolgical sense - in the realm of the great outdoors that fairly insignificant section in the southwest of the province does not exactly do the rest of the province justice. And unfortunately most people don't see that - especially driving through along the TCH. Apparently even people who have lived here for 28 years don't even realize it...[/
QUOTE]

Are you whacked out on Benydril, or are you prone to condescending halucinations? I never said a thing about my experience in Manitoba, and you have imagined all sorts of things. All I said was that Manitoba is a prairie province. Period.
This controversy seems to exist in your mind: "the term "prairie" does not conjure up visions of anything really outdoorsy in my mind"

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:40 AM

Quote:
well, because that's just incorrect!
What did I say that's incorrect? I never said Manitoba was mostly prairie.

Just because you don't want to think Manitoba isn't a prairie province (for whatever messed up reason), doesnt make it fact

If Manitoba isn't a prairie province, why does the ATLAS OF CANADA label it as a prairie province?
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...map_image_view

and how about this government run website?
Quote:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGlish/citizen/look/look-10e.html
Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta are called the Prairie provinces. This region of Canada is known for its fertile agricultural land and valuable energy resources.
Or how about Manitoba's own tourism website??
Quote:
http://www.travelmanitoba.com/defaul...e=585&menu=436
Manitoba is the easternmost of the three Prairie Provinces
but I guess everyone else is "just incorrect!", you must be right

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:43 AM
Change is good

Quote:

That very small part is the part that most of the population of manitoba lives in.

Anyways, AB+SASK+MB = Prairie Provinces, STFU ALREADY.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:59 AM

But anyways, back on Topic.

For Regina, obviously the Qu'appelle Valley(15-20min) and Regina Beach(~30min) are popular destinations and both have a lot to offer.

There are 5 large lakes and about the same number of beaches within a 50 minute drive of Regina: Last Mountain Lake(Regina Beach), and 4 in the Qu'appelle Valley: Katepwa Lake, Pasqua Lake, Echo Lake and Buffalo Pound Lake.

And then within a couple hours of Regina are Lake Deifenbaker, The Big Muddy Badlands, and some other places I can't think of off the top of my head

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:28 AM

And of course, nothing beats Northern and Central Saskatchewan IMO.. It reminds me of pre-historic times, everything is so untouched

some pics from my Saskatchewan thread in the Canada Section

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:52 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
What did I say that's incorrect? I never said Manitoba was mostly prairie.

Just because you don't want to think Manitoba isn't a prairie province (for whatever messed up reason), doesnt make it fact

If Manitoba isn't a prairie province, why does the ATLAS OF CANADA label it as a prairie province?
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...map_image_view

and how about this government run website?

Or how about Manitoba's own tourism website??

but I guess everyone else is "just incorrect!", you must be right
well, that's the "historical" point view, the point of view of white men settlers for whom land is only something that can be exploited and farmed. That's the same reason why Ontario is normally considered as Toronto and close areas... it couldn't be wronger.
Geographically, phisically, outdoors-wise, climatologically, and so on, Manitoba is not a prairie province.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:02 AM
Architecture enthusiast

Quote:
well, that's the "historical" point view, the point of view of white men settlers for whom land is only something that can be exploited and farmed. That's the same reason why Ontario is normally considered as Toronto and close areas... it couldn't be wronger.
Geographically, phisically, outdoors-wise, climatologically, and so on, Manitoba is not a prairie province
Who here has said Manitoba is entirely prairie? Are you and Drew actually two
different people? What is wrong with prairie? I think it is beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the praria province thing comes from the early days of manitoba when it was nothing but praria.............................................................

shut up about it already

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:16 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the praria province thing comes from the early days of manitoba when it was nothing but praria.............................................................

shut up about it already
In the early days Manitoba was mostly boreal forest and muskeg. Much of the muskeg was drained to produce the prairie and interlake region we see today. Incidentally, have you ever wondered why the mosquito population is so high in Manitoba?

And to start an entirely different flamewar (because somehow some people think this was intended as an AB vs SK vs MB thread ), I'll take the Kenora-Vermillion Bay area over the Whiteshell anyday. Better fishing, far fewer cottages, and just more remoteness in general. Also, some actual hilly terrain.

There, now shut up about what is and isn't a prairie province, and tell me why NW Ontario sucks instead!

On a positive note, at least NO ONE has tried to claim the "Oasis" (locals will know what I'm talking about), nor the Birds Hill Park "lake" as a positive outdoor feature in Manitoba. There's hope for you folks yet!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:22 AM
Architecture enthusiast

Bird's Hill "lake" is a truly sad family "experience".

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
In the early days Manitoba was mostly boreal forest and muskeg. Much of the muskeg was drained to produce the prairie and interlake region we see today. Incidentally, have you ever wondered why the mosquito population is so high in Manitoba?

And to start an entirely different flamewar (because somehow some people think this was intended as an AB vs SK vs MB thread ), I'll take the Kenora-Vermillion Bay area over the Whiteshell anyday. Better fishing, far fewer cottages, and just more remoteness in general. Also, some actual hilly terrain.

There, now shut up about what is and isn't a prairie province, and tell me why NW Ontario sucks instead!

On a positive note, at least NO ONE has tried to claim the "Oasis" (locals will know what I'm talking about), nor the Birds Hill Park "lake" as a positive outdoor feature in Manitoba. There's hope for you folks yet!
birds hill is meh..

but whats oasis?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan