HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:59 PM

Still no southern highways program for 2018. Makes me wonder if they will just wait until 2019 now, or if it will even be published again at all.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Someone on SSP said that only Wynne’s government was forthcoming enough to post it, not so much with PC’s.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 PM
BANNED

I dunno about you, but I think it should be at least 6 lane across Ontario. Toronto may need more, especially the 400-427 section and collector express to winston churchill and 4 lanes through Milton to Cambridge

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:15 PM

6 lanes minimum is definitely justified between Toronto and Kingston; going east from the GTA, the 6 lanes narrows to 4 just past Cobourg (used to be just before; the stretch through Cobourg was just widened a year or two ago). MTO is planning for this and all bridge replacements in this section are being designed to protect for 6 lanes in the future. Notably, when the bridge over the Trent River was rehab'ed a few years ago, they built extra wide shoulders so 6 lanes of through traffic can fit across in the future.

I believe MTO is currently doing engineering work to widen the highway through Belleville; this means they can gradually work on the Belleville-Kingston and Cobourg-Belleville segments.

Between Kingston and the 416, I'm not sure 6 lanes are justified based on traffic counts; and from the 416 to the Quebec border, they are definitely not. In any case, I believe MTO is protecting for a future 6 lanes with bridge replacements in that eastern section as well.

Between Kingston and the 416, I'd like to see serious investment in intercity rail before we bite the bullet and widen it. From Cobourg to Kingston widening is probably justified regardless.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The biggest problem with 401 is that there are just too many trucks. Once, I was stuck behind a truck while passing; when I looked behind, I saw 22 other passenger vehicles. I think 401 can be widening eastward to 416. If traffic remains high though, we really need to get the HFR up and running between Toronto and Montreal via Ottawa...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:19 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 401 between L&A County Road 6 (Odessa) and Highway 38 (Kingston) has been closed in both directions as of 9 pm, reopening time unknown.

Update: reopened around 12 am.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 24, 2019 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Be advised that 401 West is closed between Exit 218 (Highway 19, Oxford County Road 119, Ingersol) and Exit 230 (Oxford County Road 12, Woodstock), and around Exit 238 (Highway 2). Detour via Highway 2. Drive safe people.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^that is the deadman's stretch of highway. Always closed on account of weather/accidents. Something about Woodstock...bad weather systems always seem to pass through it. 40 kms to the east, in KW, it is often completely bare.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:05 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea I've heard countless bad things about 401 in SWO and that cross winds are to blame. I was also gonna ask whether OPP still busts people for 120 kph now that the steel barriers are up, but I guess the answer is still yes.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 12:20 AM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 12:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That was quite some distance <from Caledon to GTA East> (in the snow too). Glad you all made it home safe.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 1:41 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...anoque-stretch

From the beginning of February: new truck rest stop on 401W by Gananoque

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Time to revive this thread.

401 @ Leslie Street (Toronto): The light cycle for the off ramp is unusually short. I had to wait 6 minutes to get out. It should be longer.

401 @ Yonge Street: When the time comes to replace the 401E to Yonge Street N ramp, is it possible to make it more south to allow a loop from Yonge Street S to 401E? This could improve rush-hour traffic a bit.

I was then between Milton and Guelph and it was slow traffic (~ 90 km/h). At first I was wondering why there was suddenly this much traffic midday, then I saw an oversized load forcing trucks into the left lane. That was like closing 2 out of the 3 lanes with a rolling block...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 1:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the interchange between 401 and 404 (DVP) will be redesigned?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:56 PM

Drive-lapse video of the 401 heading easterly through Durham Region:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:41 AM

Nice vid. Surprised you made it through Durham without hitting a traffic jam.

Lots of left lane huggers, and my new pet-peeve, middle lane stayers(?). I know why people do it but if you are getting passed on either side of you it is time to speed up or move over.

FWIW the stretch between Port Hope and Cobourg has been repaved, you could see the cones in your video. It was definitely hurting!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Lots of left lane huggers, and my new pet-peeve, middle lane stayers(?). I know why people do it but if you are getting passed on either side of you it is time to speed up or move over.

FWIW the stretch between Port Hope and Cobourg has been repaved, you could see the cones in your video. It was definitely hurting!
The right lane is the 'finish merging at 83km/h'/'dive for the exit'/'occasional really slow driver' and 'redneck fast lane'.

The middle lane is the 'zone-out and slow lane'.

The left lane is the 'pace traffic in the middle lane'/ occasional passing lane

Europeans would twitch at North American driving habits.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Or from time to time, the two cars are horrifying close to one another, so you wonder if the one at the front is towing the one at the back.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

This was filmed at like 9am on a friday morning, that's the only reason I got through the Salem Squeeze without a slow down. It was still pretty full through Oshawa though as you no doubt noticed through the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The right lane is the 'finish merging at 83km/h'/'dive for the exit'/'occasional really slow driver' and 'redneck fast lane'.

The middle lane is the 'zone-out and slow lane'.

The left lane is the 'pace traffic in the middle lane'/ occasional passing lane

Europeans would twitch at North American driving habits.
One of the youtube comments for my video was from a german guy, it was about our disgusting lane discipline.

Also, I'm not always the most patient driver either.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

One of the youtube comments for my video was from a german guy, it was about our disgusting lane discipline.

Also, I'm not always the most patient driver either.
I can empathize with that. The beauty of multi-lane freeways is that if everyone cooperates, everyone can move along at the pace they choose, provided volume isn't an issue.

That being said, all it takes is for one person in the left-most lane to 'pace' the middle lane and then you have to resort to, uh, creative passing. It's one of those things that's maddening - one driver can really back up traffic.

I get the hesitancy to use the right-most lane in urban areas due to the number of entrances and exits and the volume of traffic at those interchanges, but in rural areas, it is often unoccupied. Riding the middle lane requires minimal actual 'driving', so I guess that's why people do it.

Last edited by wave46; Aug 3, 2019 at 12:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario