HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:13 PM

Two things.

1) Look at this absolutely metal rendering I found. Never going to happen, but I can wish...

2) Construction is set to begin!
https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...s-15940958.php

Quote:
Work on a nine-acre public park at Hemisfair is expected to begin this fall, but officials are reassessing elements of a planned mixed-use development nearby, in part because of challenges brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Leaders of the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., a nonprofit responsible for revitalizing the site of the 1968 World’s Fair, and city officials envision Civic Park as a gathering place for events and outdoor activities.

The park to be built next to the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center will include a sprawling lawn, a promenade and water features.

Families using the jungle gyms and splash pad at Yanaguana Garden, which opened in 2015 as the first iteration of Hemisfair’s redevelopment, or visiting on-site businesses will be able to access the park by crossing East Nueva Street. Visitors to the River Walk and La Villita Historic Village can wander over to relax.

Civic Park will be built in phases. The outdoor amenities that are part of the first $27 million phase are financed by $21 million from the city’s 2017 bond package and the rest from philanthropic gifts and lease revenue, said HPARC chief executive Andres Andujar.

HPARC is working to secure funding for the second phase, which will include the park’s entrance and is estimated to cost $20 million.

The organization will start accepting bids Monday for construction of the first phase, which is expected to start this fall. The park is slated to open in 2023.

“We’re super excited that we’re at this stage,” Andujar said. “This is a big deal to us and for our community. This is the place that we’ve been promising that will hold 10,000, 15,000 people for large events after the pandemic.”

A third park at Hemisfair, Tower Park, is also in the works. But it’s unclear when work on the mixed-use project planned around Civic Park will start.

City Council gave the green light in 2017 to lease about five acres there to Zachry Hospitality, a Zachry Corp. company, for up to 97 years. Under the public-private partnership agreement, the company, which bested 10 other bidders for the deal, would pay HPARC about $1.5 million a year and a slice of retail revenue.

The Zachry family has deep ties to Hemisfair. H.B. “Pat” Zachry helped bring HemisFair ’68 to San Antonio and built the Hilton Palacio del Rio for attendees. David Zachry sat on HPARC’s board from when the nonprofit was set up in 2009 until 2011, and later pushed state legislators to reduce restrictions on hotel development at the site.

Zachry Corp. laid out its designs for the Hemisfair project in 2018: a $200 million development with a 14-story hotel, an eight-story office tower, a food market, an underground parking garage and an apartment complex built by national developer NRP Group. The company planned to complete it early this year.

But the expense and difficulty of building underground parking — and the pandemic’s roiling of the hospitality, retail and office sectors and financing for such developments — is prompting Zachry, HPARC and the city to re-assess those plans.

“We have an agreement with Zachry, and we’re going to do everything to continue to work through all the difficulties that have been brought to the redevelopment by the pandemic and financial markets,” Andujar said. “Our goal right now is to re-frame the deal as needed to execute what we had originally intended.”

The uses will remain the same but the size and square footage devoted to different components could change because of how the pandemic is affecting demand, executives and city officials said at a briefing to council members Wednesday.

Prior to the pandemic, the NCAA Men’s Final Four tournament in 2018 also delayed planning, Omar Gonzalez, HPARC’s director of real estate, told council members.

Zachry is still in discussions with the city and Hemisfair executives, said Tara Snowden, the company’s vice president of public and government affairs.

NRP Group has not been involved in the development for some time.

The cost of building the structure originally proposed “could not be supported solely on the rents that could be realized,” said Debra Guerrero, the company’s senior vice president of strategic partnerships and government relations.

NRP came up with an alternative with different materials and size, but it didn’t align with what officials wanted at Hemisfair and so the company stepped aside, she added.

Local developer David Adelman built the first apartments at Hemisfair in 2019, a complex dubbed The ’68, and said he’s interested in potentially building more there.

“We are happy with our investment there and looking forward to potentially doing another project,” he said. “I’m super excited about (Civic Park) moving forward and glad that HPARC and the city of San Antonio have the fortitude, through challenging times, to keep moving forward. I think they see the long run, the big picture, the future, which is going to be bright.”

At Wednesday’s briefing, council members said they were enthusiastic about the construction of Civic Park and Hemisfair’s redevelopment moving forward.

“This project is transformational and will add a gem in the heart of the center city,” said District 1 Councilman Roberto Treviño.

Some also expressed concerns about when the mixed-use development will be built and the costs.

“It’s taken a long time and we don’t have much to show for it,” said District 9 Councilman John Courage. “Yanaguana Garden is great and the apartment complex we built over there, that’s great. But the biggest part of this project was the economic generation that was supposed to come out of all the development around Civic Park, and there’s nothing there.”

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:39 AM

Why do you think this would never happen?? That massing is so fking beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Why do you think this would never happen?? That massing is so fking beautiful!
If I remember correctly those renderings were from an article before the pandemic that was discussing the Hemisphere redevelopment. I believe whoever was interviewed stated something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing) that the rendering was just to show the potential maximum development for the site and to not get too excited because the chances of the space being developed to it's maximum potential were highly unlikely.

Again, this was well over a year ago so I'm a little sketchy on the details, but that would be my guess on why that would probably never happen. Especially now coming out of a pandemic and economic slowdown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
If I remember correctly those renderings were from an article before the pandemic that was discussing the Hemisphere redevelopment. I believe whoever was interviewed stated something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing) that the rendering was just to show the potential maximum development for the site and to not get too excited because the chances of the space being developed to it's maximum potential were highly unlikely.

Again, this was well over a year ago so I'm a little sketchy on the details, but that would be my guess on why that would probably never happen. Especially now coming out of a pandemic and economic slowdown.
Bingo.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post

Ugh. Dammit. I think I recall that now....

It's just such a beautiful location for something totally grand. I love the idea of stretching downtown to the corner--the skyline views ::chef's kiss::

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 2:16 PM

Zachry negotiating to keep its mixed-use development at Hemisfair on the horizon

https://sanantonioreport.org/zachry-...sfair-on-hold/

Paused during the pandemic, a public-private development at Hemisfair five years in the making remains on hold even as plans for the grounds of the 1968 world’s fair move forward.

In 2016, Hemisfair officials selected a joint proposal by Zachry Hospitality and housing developer The NRP Group for a mixed-use development made up of office, residential, and parking structures, and a boutique hotel in the northwest quadrant of Hemisfair.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:29 PM
James

I am just really annoyed at how much time this has taken. It sounds like excuses are being said. It should have started and done on time. I'm excited that construction will allegedly start this fall... but I won't hold my breath until the dirt starts turning.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:35 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Maybe I missed something...the article seemed to only indicate Zachry was renegotiating the deal with the city. I didn't see anywhere in there that they had construction financing and a final design in place.

I believe the "fall start" was in referenced to beginning phase one of the Civic Park development.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 9:18 PM

So this development is still happening?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...police-hq.html

The city of San Antonio is seeking to redevelop a multistory building at Hemisfair into a new Park Police headquarters.

The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., tasked with transforming the 1968 World’s Fair site, warns the project could derail its plans and in the process create a larger police presence that could keep some away.

“If they pull the trigger it would be a different park. It could not possibly be the kind of park that we envision,” HPARC CEO Andres Andujar said. “It would be hard to make one of the world's great public places if we have to work around a force-protected structure like this.”

In 2017, voters approved an $850 million municipal bond program, including nearly $20.6 million to develop a San Antonio Police substation and a new Park Police headquarters. Additional funding from the fiscal 2020 city budget took that total north of $23 million.

The city is pursuing a plan to use a portion of that funding to remodel approximately 24,000 square feet in the Hemisfair structure for the new Park Police headquarters. That’s significantly larger than the current 2,200-square-foot structure police currently have on site, which city officials indicate is too small and old.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:31 PM
James

Yeah, this will be horrible for the park aspect due to the security. The city needs to not be cheap and move its Park Police headquarters elsewhere. But I'm sure they won't.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 2:16 AM

Hemisfair opposes city’s plan to rehab vacant building as Park Police HQ

https://saheron.com/hemisfair-oppose...cant-building/

The city is at odds with one of its offspring, the nonprofit Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., or HPARC, over its plan to renovate a vacant building near the Tower of the Americas into a headquarters for its Park Police department.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:14 PM

Any update from this? According to this article, the city plans to work with Zachry to "reevaluate."

https://www.expressnews.com/business...photo-21497149

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 6:23 AM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 10:16 PM
James

Wow. They are trying to start construction next month. It's about time!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Like the idea for the lawns, but if the buildings are the same boring low rise we have seen going up for years now, then meh.

Now, if we get some buildings that rival the comparison pictures shown, then we are talking.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Like the idea for the lawns, but if the buildings are the same boring low rise we have seen going up for years now, then meh.

Now, if we get some buildings that rival the comparison pictures shown, then we are talking.
To be fair, they're midrises. Still... meh.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:49 PM

Has there been talk about the old federal court house? As in tearing that crappy thing down? I'd do it my self but I think I'd get into trouble. I don't think people will mind though. Same sentiments to the federal building on Indianola. That thing is a monstrosity. We can do a lot better and give our workers musk to go into a nice office for a change. Look at the new court house, it's awesome.

I'm not advocating the illegal destruction of federal property.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 12:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbl1 View Post
Has there been talk about the old federal court house? As in tearing that crappy thing down? I'd do it my self but I think I'd get into trouble. I don't think people will mind though. Same sentiments to the federal building on Indianola. That thing is a monstrosity. We can do a lot better and give our workers musk to go into a nice office for a change. Look at the new court house, it's awesome.

The Institute of Texan Cultures building.
I was in there once many, many moons ago. I remember not being impressed by the exhibit, but hopefully things have changed and it's better now. I've never been a fan of its Planet of the Apes architecture, but looking at it from above in the aerial photo below, it does have a certain "museum" presence about it. While being down next to its concrete exterior in a depressed earthen setting gives you a feeling that you're sinking and is therefor not very comforting, it does have a certain majesty when view from high above. And that's all I have to say about that.

https://i0.wp.com/sanantonioreport.o...70%2C633&ssl=1

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbl1 View Post

I hope they don't tear that beautiful building down, and I don't think they will.

The new courthouse has all the architectural presence of a Wal-mart.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:41 PM

So they are building the park first and then hoping the buildings come second? Usually its the other way around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio