HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Everyone knows the Canadian government has no intention to fill the labour gaps in healthcare.

What really is happening is the feds approving unlimited student visas to import Indian students en masse, so that they can go to diploma mills in Canada and earn useless "business" degrees while working minimum wage retail jobs to pay off their debts. To act like Trudeau's government cares about the labour shortage in healthcare is disingenuous at best.

'They started crying:' Ontario international students finding it difficult to land work
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...work-1.6972622

Store manager in Sydney says she's inundated by international students desperate for work
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ents-1.6958702

Labour market imbalance: Why international students in K-W are struggling to find jobs
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/labour-market-imbalance-why-international-students-in-k-w-are-struggling-to-find-jobs-1.6558742

No house, no job: Canadian dream turning into nightmare for Indian students
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...331-2023-09-26
I think you have profound lack of understanding what foreign students are in Canada. they are not expected to stay in Canada permanently and are to return to their country or origin once their studies are done., Although in a few cases some will get permanent status under special conditions. The federal government doesn't intend for them to stay here permanently or fill in the labour shortages.

The responsibility for addressing healthcare workforce shortages lies primarily with the provinces and their respective professional bodies. The federal government has equipped them with the necessary tools, such as the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program and provincial nomination programs, which enables them to recruit immigrants to fill various healthcare roles. In cases where Ontario or its professional organizations are unwilling to recognize foreign credentials, the federal government doesn't possesses the authority to compel recognition of foreign professionals within the province. For its part Ontario is moving to recognize more foreign credentials, but the professional organizations are the ones standing in the way.

For example:
Ontario Vows to Reduce Barriers for Foreign Nurses to Work in Canada

the federal government can't reduce barriers for foreign nurse to work in Ontario, only the Ontario government can. this is the same for pretty much all healthcare professional throughout Canada.

Last edited by Nite; Oct 1, 2023 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 6:42 PM

It's not the population growth per-se that is the problem but rather the fact that there is nowhere for them to live and it has sent the country into a true housing crisis of epic proportions. Besides this, yes we get many skilled workers but due to family reunification we also get a lot of unskilled ones and many can't utter a word of French or English. All these students are "suppose" to be here to get their education and leave but the reality is that the VAST majority can stay once they land on our shores. This is much of the reason why Indian families send their kids to school to Canada. Yes, they certainly want them to get an education but it is also seen as an investment because they can become citizens and then thru family reunification can bring in their brother & sisters and their families as well as they M&D even though none of them may have any employable skills or even speak either language..............it's become more of a financial plan than an educational investment.

This is made worse by the fact that Canada's productivity gains over the last 2 decades has been amongst the worst in the OECD and that is to continue. Of all the OECD countries, Canada is expected to have the slowest productivity gains from now to 2060............we are adding more people but we are getting poorer. The days of Canada being the land of milk and honey are long gone as our standard of living continues to decline.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 8:03 PM
in circulo imperium

The immigrants I met in Canada were employed and were showing complete attachment to their new home, many perhaps not speaking French, but all speaking English. It's empiricism to use this as a reference, but in 2018 I didn't find anyone who didn't know how to speak English, a challenge for these young monolinguals who come from different parts of the world.

But anyway:

A Pakistani taxi driver whose L1 is Punjabi: I had no problems taking a taxi to my hotel. He talk very little but he understood my request and accomplished the mission.

An Austrian hotel receptionist. She spoke English very well with me, we discussed various topics related to tourism, and I maintained a dialogue with her for longer and had an excellent coffee break at the hotel, enjoying black berry with yogurt and muffins.

An attendant at Wanda's was German and was the one I talked to the most, as it was the first time I tried maple syrup. I was impressed with how she understood what I wanted to do. Canada was where I had the most gastronomic experiences of all my overseas trips.

It didn't seem like the two girls even had any German accents that I could pick out. But their L1 language was German and if they spoke a word in that language I wouldn't be able to understand.

On the way back, an Indian who could speak Hindi or Bengali took me back in a taxi to Pearson to return to my country. We communicated well, I came on time and I was very close to my airline terminal (Delta).

Taxi drivers and receptionists are not complex jobs and are professions where there could be a greater presence of younger people who don't speak English or French, but until 2018 I was surprised, because everyone was very smart.

Regarding foreigners in more complex roles, I have no way of giving an opinion, as I only found Canadians later. A family from Labrador who was also like me, visiting Ontario and we talked a lot. We don't talk about work because it's normal for tourism to be this a topic that isn't talked about much.

But I imagine that Canadians from smaller provinces may also wonder what more complex functions can be developed in Toronto and that imagining living in that province is something that would require more than they know how to do in the case of activities that require qualifications (Engineering, Telecom, Innovation, etc). Anyway, I had the feeling that they felt as foreign as I did due to the fluidity we had in the conversation.

Now with super immigration, it may be possible to notice these difficulties more with new languages being heard more frequently and demanding more efforts in communication. And this definitely does not seem to be an obstacle to settling in the country, as opposed to there being no job opportunities, especially for younger people.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:10 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ There are likely some refugees who aren't conversational in either English or French, but that's pretty rare for regular immigrants. There are issues with some immigrants working in jobs they're over qualified for because their foreign education or other credentials aren't recognized here however. But with language, even when people don't have strong skills in English or French when they get here they pick it up pretty fast with exposure and the numerous ESL (English as second language) and I assume FSL programs offered for free or very low cost through libraries, community centres, or other public programs. For the most part, language is a total non-issue with immigration here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:27 PM
in circulo imperium

^ That's what I imagined too.

However, the lack of jobs could lead these immigrants to feel financially pressured because they wouldn't have enough reserves to settle likely. In this case there could be repatriation. It would be interesting to see statistics, but it would be more observable to see this phenomenon occur among younger people who would take more risks* and in theory would only have family resources as a way of providing for themselves.

There is another aspect that concerns maturity when facing a gap between one job and another. Perhaps a young person doesn't have as much experience in creating contact networks with a view to future job relocation, in which case they would run the risk of being more left to chance. But this is for very young people, even for a young person in their 20s this seems like a more obvious precaution to take.

* Taking into account the case of these more pressured young immigrants who don't have family connections with other immigrants who are already living in Canada and who would be the first trailblazers to try to settle down in their families and perhaps later make room for other family members who want to immigrate as well.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:27 PM

Generally, Canada gets well educated immigrants who are fluent in one of the languages. The problem is family reunification where they can bring in everybody else in the family who may have absolutely no skills or ability to speak English or French. This combined with the huge number of students and it ends up being a net drain on the economy and our productivity.

Our recent GDP stats say it all. GDP was flat for the month of July yet our population grew by 100,000 in that month.........bigger but poorer. You can see our plunging standard of living everywhere you look.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:44 PM
in circulo imperium

If there were more incentives for immigrants to come to work than immigrants who come to study or exchange and at the same time, there was an incentive for family reunification to mean making skilled immigrants aware that some pre-qualification should occur before immigration takes place, perhaps this could mitigate the problem.

Or if they could all arrive together, with the qualified immigrant being able to support the adaptation of these new residents in order to reduce some of the economic pressure due to an increase in supply less than an increase in demand for new jobs. This would also probably mean a pressure reduction in social security and health care (if applicable in the legislation in this case)

I have a friend (Former coworker) who is an electrical engineer with Italian citizenship who has now immigrated to Montreal and he has a master's degree in this field and knowledge of over 30 years in high voltage equipment. He took the whole family. The woman is a housewife and the boy is the only one who speaks English there. (I thought he spoke French at least which shocked me) But he's good at engineering and that's what matters.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 11:17 PM
in circulo imperium

Just add that the boy (13 y. o.) 'speaks' English but instead of chatting it's more cheating. He uses Google in his phone to translate and help mom and dad who don't speak a single word.

They went bravely, without a job offer and with the intention of prospecting there, as his engineer friend told me here. The Italian passport must provide some security for them to have gone like this.

In any case, an adult needing a minor to do activities outside of work seems very strange. And wherever he's working he will be using mathematics, logic and knowledge of electrical equipment, which are mostly universal, more than communication skills.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Everyone knows the Canadian government has no intention to fill the labour gaps in healthcare.

What really is happening is the feds approving unlimited student visas to import Indian students en masse, so that they can go to diploma mills in Canada and earn useless "business" degrees while working minimum wage retail jobs to pay off their debts. To act like Trudeau's government cares about the labour shortage in healthcare is disingenuous at best.

'They started crying:' Ontario international students finding it difficult to land work
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...work-1.6972622

Store manager in Sydney says she's inundated by international students desperate for work
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ents-1.6958702

Labour market imbalance: Why international students in K-W are struggling to find jobs
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/labour-market-imbalance-why-international-students-in-k-w-are-struggling-to-find-jobs-1.6558742

No house, no job: Canadian dream turning into nightmare for Indian students
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...331-2023-09-26
Lots of other countries have similar populations of international students -- e.g. US, UK, European countries, Australia etc.

Do the other destinations for international students have work for international students to support themselves too? Or do they have richer students that come and go without needing to work?

Or do they also have similar issues?

How do they solve this problem and how can Canada take a page from their book?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Lots of other countries have similar populations of international students -- e.g. US, UK, European countries, Australia etc.
I call BS. "Lots of other countries" have 70% of students in major universities from abroad? One of the links showed a major university in the Maritimes with 70% foreign students, almost all from South Asia. Maybe in like Luxembourg or Monaco, bc the country is tiny, but no way in a major country like the U.S., UK or Germany. In the U.S., universities brag about their global student counts when they're 10% non-U.S.

For grad school, I attended a university that was constantly bragging about having the most intl. student body in the Ivy League. I think they were only like 30% intl., and they were overwhelmingly in grad programs. The undergraduate intl. population was around 15%.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ There are likely some refugees who aren't conversational in either English or French, but that's pretty rare for regular immigrants. There are issues with some immigrants working in jobs they're over qualified for because their foreign education or other credentials aren't recognized here however. But with language, even when people don't have strong skills in English or French when they get here they pick it up pretty fast with exposure and the numerous ESL (English as second language) and I assume FSL programs offered for free or very low cost through libraries, community centres, or other public programs. For the most part, language is a total non-issue with immigration here.
Correct. There is even less of an issue with immigrants speaking English in Canada (or at least in Anglo-Canada) than there is in the US. There may be integration challenges but this is not one of them.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 3:39 PM
in circulo imperium

With such highly skilled immigration, another option for immigrants is to provide services on their own instead of looking for jobs that may be experiencing low supply fluctuations.

But this option could be more valuable for immigrants who have already established themselves in the country and have already enrich themselves and have the necessary experience to be able to establish with more autonomy, depending on the service, and finding all the means for the activity to be carried out regularly and in legal way.

But for those who arrive recently the challenge seems to be greater. It's precisely in this group that unemployment is highest and for them a web of support with compatriots is of great value in maintaining plans to establish residence.

This report seems to address the current successful aspects of the current policy of attracting immigrants and which pose a challenge to these young foreigners. If everyone around them proposed what they should do to prosper too, in addition to being patient perhaps they would achieve good results more quickly, even if it's by trying to keep up with them.

Quote:
The trends of immigrant employment in Canada
by Asheesh Moosapeta

Canada’s workforce is one of the most skilled in the world—due not just to excellent educational institutions within the country, but also because of highly skilled newcomers who arrive to Canada annually and drive growth in the labour force.

However, how successful are newcomers at finding employment in Canada, in the short, medium, and long-term?

The results

A recent study published by Statistics Canada sheds insight on the matter. The report included data from March 2006 to July 2023, providing a large overview of unemployment rates for:
  • Landed immigrants (those who have just arrived, or who were already in Canada after newly being granted permanent residence (PR) status);
  • Immigrants who had been in Canada for five years or less;
  • Immigrants who had been in Canada between 5-10 years; and
  • Immigrants who had been in Canada for 10 years for more.
The study can thus help reveal not just the average unemployment rates for each group, but also how much the unemployment rates can fluctuate for different groups during this 17-year period.

Between 2006 and 2023, landed immigrants in Canada had an average unemployment rate of 7.7%. Unemployment for this group peaked in June of 2020 at 14.6%, though notably employment data from 2020-2021 is greatly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (a common theme across all immigrant groups) *. The lowest unemployment rate for landed immigrants was 5%, observed in June of 2022.

Immigrants who had been in Canada for five or less years had the highest average unemployment rate (11.7%) among all studied groups, between 2006 and 2023. This group was also subject to notable fluctuations in unemployment, reaching a high of 17.9% in June 2020 and a low of 7.4% in August 2022.

Immigrants who had been in Canada between 5 and 10 years had an average unemployment rate of 8.9% in the 17-year study period. This group saw the highest fluctuations in unemployment rate among all studied groups, reaching a high of 16.8% in June 2020, and a low of 4.5% in December 2022.

Lastly, immigrants who had been in Canada for 10 or more years experienced the lowest average unemployment rate of any group in the study period, at 6.6%. In addition, the group had the lowest fluctuations in unemployment rate among all the studied groups, seeing a high of 13.4% in June 2020, and a low of 4.3% in December 2022.

The study broadly found that though some factors were particularly impactful for immigrant labour market success upon landing (pre-landing Canadian work experience, official language ability), the impact of these factors diminished as time in Canada increased. Conversely, the effect of age and education-level upon landing increased over time.

The study concluded that the single greatest determinant of immigrant success in the short, medium and long term may not be pre-landing Canadian work experience, but rather the quality of this pre-landing experience.

https://www.cicnews.com/2023/10/the-...html#gs.6g2dz9

Surprisingly knowing the language seems to be quite impactful for success according to the study, as communication is faster and so more activities can be carried out. A non-speaker of the local language will spend more time trying to communicate during the activity. For young people this seems to be more possible than the second option below.

Having previous work experience in Canada, which would undoubtedly open up shortcuts to repositioning the immigrant in the job market. But the report also warns that the quality of the experience of having lived in Canada can be even more decisive if this immigrant can learn a lot, qualify and go through jobs that remain in growing or high demand.

Last edited by Fabricio JF; Oct 2, 2023 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I call BS. "Lots of other countries" have 70% of students in major universities from abroad? One of the links showed a major university in the Maritimes with 70% foreign students, almost all from South Asia. Maybe in like Luxembourg or Monaco, bc the country is tiny, but no way in a major country like the U.S., UK or Germany. In the U.S., universities brag about their global student counts when they're 10% non-U.S.

For grad school, I attended a university that was constantly bragging about having the most intl. student body in the Ivy League. I think they were only like 30% intl., and they were overwhelmingly in grad programs. The undergraduate intl. population was around 15%.
Comparing just some schools to each other, particularly in the Maritimes of Canada (which is away from the densest part of the Canadian population, and more reliant on internationals) to the Ivy Leagues in the US is not representative.

We should compare nation-wide averages for apples-to-apples comparison.

Here's data for 2020 from the OECD "Tertiary student inflow, % of students enrolled, 2020"

https://data.oecd.org/students/inter...t-mobility.htm

According to this, Canada is near the higher end of countries at around 18% but higher still are Austria, Switzerland and the UK, which are similar in the 18-20% range, Australia with around a quarter and then Luxembourg, which being small, gets almost a half. Indeed the US is much lower at around 5%. But this still fits "lots of other countries" being like Canada or more, including ones more comparable to its fame or population size range.

Another source with somewhat different data.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-worldwide/

This source does show Canada second near the top of the list in the low 20s % behind Australia in the low 30s%, but third is the UK also in the low 20s% on this list, meaning at least Canada has two peer countries in its approximate range. If this source is accurate instead, then if not "a lot" then at least it's not alone.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 4:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

Not sure I'd call Cape Breton University "major". Perhaps its ~7k enrollment makes it major for the Maritimes whose largest province is less populous than the country's 6 largest metro areas. But it's only about 44th largest by total full-time enrollment in a country with a population the size of California.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:42 PM
The New Republic

Not to dismiss the many challenges facing newcomers to Canada but perhaps some data/business news will help keep the growing hysteria from some circles in check. People tend to zero in on one or two immediate issues that back up their criticisms while not bothering to look at the benefits or the big picture. Things are rarely as negative or positive as some try to paint things. Some is negative, some positive. Whether the net benefit is positive of negative requires one to look at it all. Some won't want to read it but here are some of the positives.

Canada job gains double expectations, wages accelerate

The country added 40,000 jobs in August, while the unemployment rate held steady at 5.5% following three straight monthly increases, Statistics Canada reported. Rising workers’ compensation reflects some remaining tightness in the labour market, with wages accelerating to 5.2%, beating expectations for a 4.7% gain and up from 5% a month earlier.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-j...rate-1.1968816

Canadian economy to get 'back on its feet' next year, Deloitte Canada says

A better-than-expected U.S. outlook and continued population growth here will offset some of the downward pressure from high household debt, soaring interest payments and stubbornly persistent inflation, the company said in its latest economic outlook report, released Thursday. "The recovery will pick up steam in the second half of 2024 because it's during the time we anticipate the Bank of Canada will be able to pivot from having high interest rates we're living with today," she said.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian...says-1.1977528

Blackstone bets on Canadian immigration to usher in growth

With highly educated immigrants set to grow Canada’s population, one of the world’s largest asset management firms is looking to invest heavily in the country. Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset management company which oversees US$1 trillion in assets, is opening up an office in Canada as it commits to growing its presence and investments in the country .... company has “a lot of enthusiasm” about Canada’s economy – and he sees the country’s growing population as its largest asset for future growth and productivity.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/blacksto...owth-1.1977071

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 2, 2023 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:54 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Not sure I'd call Cape Breton University "major".
Agree. That school only got its university designation in 1982 and not one that comes to mind as a major.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 6:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

No offence intended to Nova Scotians, but Cape Breton University is a low-ranked university in the lowest of the three tiers of Canadian Universities (Research-intensive, Comprehensive, Primarily Undergraduate). I don't think any of the universities in the first two tiers are more than 30% international. Where I work (a Research-intensive Uni), we are maybe up to 11% international, and this after many years of intensive recruitment of international students. I'm on the governing body of this university, and it is my understanding that our medium-range plans are aiming for 20% international, overall.

I'm at UWO:
Quote:
Key Facts

Ranked among the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide
A founding member of the U15 – Canada’s most distinguished research universities
43,352 students, including more than 4,759 international students from 129 countries
One of the highest national entrance averages of first-year students at 91%
First to second year retention rate of 93%—one of the highest in Canada
A proud legacy of Rhodes Scholars, with the 24th announced in 2019
12 faculties, including the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, as well professional programs in Medicine, Business, Law and Engineering
More than 400 combinations of undergraduate majors, minors and specializations
88 different graduate degree programs, including a range of interdisciplinary programs
26 faculty recipients of 3M National Teaching Fellowships—second highest in Canada
92.5% employment rate 6 months after graduation
More than 328,000 alumni in 160 countries worldwide
https://www.uwo.ca/about/whoweare/facts.html

I think UBC (University of British Columbia, in Vancouver) is probably the highest proportion of international students among the Research-intensive tier:

Quote:
About 30% of master's students, and 44% of doctoral students at UBC Vancouver are international students.
https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-...ional-students

I could not find up-to-date stats for the proportion of Int'l students in erms of undergrad enrolment at UBC.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 7:46 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Not sure I'd call Cape Breton University "major". Perhaps its ~7k enrollment makes it major for the Maritimes whose largest province is less populous than the country's 6 largest metro areas. But it's only about 44th largest by total full-time enrollment in a country with a population the size of California.
As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 major universities on Canada's East Coast.

Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova Scotia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalhousie_University

and Memorial in St John's, Newfoundland
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memo...f_Newfoundland

To a lesser extent, University of New Brunswick which is much smaller but has a medical school affiliated with Dalhousie university on its Saint John campus. The larger campus is in the capital, Fredericton.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ..._New_Brunswick

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Not to dismiss the many challenges facing newcomers to Canada but perhaps some data/business news will help keep the growing hysteria from some circles in check. People tend to zero in on one or two immediate issues that back up their criticisms while not bothering to look at the benefits or the big picture. Things are rarely as negative or positive as some try to paint things. Some is negative, some positive. Whether the net benefit is positive of negative requires one to look at it all. Some won't want to read it but here are some of the positives.

Canada job gains double expectations, wages accelerate

The country added 40,000 jobs in August, while the unemployment rate held steady at 5.5% following three straight monthly increases, Statistics Canada reported. Rising workers’ compensation reflects some remaining tightness in the labour market, with wages accelerating to 5.2%, beating expectations for a 4.7% gain and up from 5% a month earlier.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-j...rate-1.1968816

Canadian economy to get 'back on its feet' next year, Deloitte Canada says

A better-than-expected U.S. outlook and continued population growth here will offset some of the downward pressure from high household debt, soaring interest payments and stubbornly persistent inflation, the company said in its latest economic outlook report, released Thursday. "The recovery will pick up steam in the second half of 2024 because it's during the time we anticipate the Bank of Canada will be able to pivot from having high interest rates we're living with today," she said.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian...says-1.1977528

Blackstone bets on Canadian immigration to usher in growth

With highly educated immigrants set to grow Canada’s population, one of the world’s largest asset management firms is looking to invest heavily in the country. Blackstone, the world’s largest alternative asset management company which oversees US$1 trillion in assets, is opening up an office in Canada as it commits to growing its presence and investments in the country .... company has “a lot of enthusiasm” about Canada’s economy – and he sees the country’s growing population as its largest asset for future growth and productivity.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/blacksto...owth-1.1977071
There's plenty of private sector economists calling BS on this 'positivity'. Here's a counter analysis from BMO's Robert Kavcic:

Sink or Swim for the Canadian Economy
https://economics.bmo.com/en/publica...-54710efe445f/

Over the past six months, real GDP is effectively unchanged, which starts to look pretty rough when considering that the population is exploding at a 3% per-year run rate.

Masking all of this is the fact that Canada’s population surged by almost 1.2 million people in the year through July 1st, by far the largest absolute increase on record. In percentage terms, the 3.0% y/y gain matches the largest yearly increase since the 1950s post-war boom. It’s very hard to bring down an economy in the aggregate when the size of the population is growing this quickly. But at the individual or household level, things appear to be getting tougher. In per capita terms, Canada’s real GDP is now on track to be down more than 2% y/y in Q3, a magnitude of decline typically only seen during recession—the difference this time is that it’s the denominator that is surging. Since the end of 2016, Canada’s real per capita output is now little changed compared to sturdy 1.7% annualized growth in the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I think you have profound lack of understanding what foreign students are in Canada. they are not expected to stay in Canada permanently and are to return to their country or origin once their studies are done., Although in a few cases some will get permanent status under special conditions.
You love toeing the Trudeau Liberal line don't you. Well that's not what the college recruiters and immigration consultants are telling the international students, as the Globe & Mail has uncovered. The federal government has done nothing to dispel this 'myth' either.

Ontario colleges are fuelling unprecedented growth in international students
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ges-enrolment/

Foreign students being tricked into thinking they can get permanent residency by studying in Canada, experts warn
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...get-permanent/

Quote:
The federal government doesn't intend for them to stay here permanently or fill in the labour shortages.
Oh yea? Then why did the federal government get rid of the 20 hour per week cap, and now allow international students to work unlimited hours off campus??

Quote:
The responsibility for addressing healthcare workforce shortages lies primarily with the provinces and their respective professional bodies. The federal government has equipped them with the necessary tools, such as the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program and provincial nomination programs, which enables them to recruit immigrants to fill various healthcare roles. In cases where Ontario or its professional organizations are unwilling to recognize foreign credentials, the federal government doesn't possesses the authority to compel recognition of foreign professionals within the province. For its part Ontario is moving to recognize more foreign credentials, but the professional organizations are the ones standing in the way.
Well, if the provinces aren't ready to lift the qualification barriers to recruit more healthcare workers, why are the feds importing so many warm bodies? This country is functioning like a frozen banana republic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions