HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:03 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Too bad, that would be a fabulous location for a landmark opera house.
Our landmark opera house got screwed over when SOMs plan for the Long Center was poopooed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Our landmark opera house got screwed over when SOMs plan for the Long Center was poopooed.
we could always repurpose one of the 30 baseball fields along LBL from Austin Hight to Longhorn Dam.

yeah, 30 baseball fields. You would think we pumped out MLB players like we were the Dominican Republic with that many fields. Too bad they are sparsely used and will NEVER be consolidated or repurposed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:26 AM

Yep, checked it myself. Thirty waterfront baseball fields from Mopac to Pleasant Valley.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:39 PM
World Traveler

There's a fantastic set of underutilized fields that are not really open to the general public over in Butler Shores.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
There's a fantastic set of underutilized fields that are not really open to the general public over in Butler Shores.
someone should really look into putting a stadium there

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
someone should really look into putting a stadium there

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
What was SOM's plan for the Long Center?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:40 AM

Looks like TXDOT's new HQ is moving along. This will consolidate offices along Riverside (a huge chunk of the Southshore District) and at the NE intersection of 35th and MoPac. The article below says that 2/3 leases along Riverside are up in 2022. Looks like the new campus is supposed to be done in Q1 2022.
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...e-067acab4b45e

On a non-Southshore note, i looked at Google Maps, and TXDOT has a pretty good amount of land along MoPac north of 35th. That would make for some good in-fill and compliment the Grove nicely.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:38 AM

Oakmont Heights and Camp Hubbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadingpa View Post

On a non-Southshore note, i looked at Google Maps, and TXDOT has a pretty good amount of land along MoPac north of 35th. That would make for some good in-fill and compliment the Grove nicely.
Just a little history on this area (for anyone interested). The general area is known as OAKMONT HEIGHTS and the TXDot facility is known as Camp Hubbard.
In 1935, the Legislature transferred the portion of Camp Mabry east of the railroad track to the Highway Department, which had begun using part of the area for equipment maintenance as early the mid-1920s. Known as Camp Hubbard, named for former highway commissioner R.M. Hubbard, this area now is used by TxDOT for various purposes, most notably as the headquarters of the Vehicle Titles Division in the five-story Building # 1, built in 1955.

...taken from
https://sites.google.com/site/oakmon...s/home/history

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 7:42 PM

I stopped paying attention to this project early last year. But I checked the PUD filing, and this thing has been moving right along during the Pandemic despite continuously being postponed at PC meetings. Some 30 file attachments were added since I last checked. But there is very little info about what is going to be built. The 525' height and 1,378 residential units are still referenced though.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...opertyrsn=6593

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 9:16 PM

Really glad you dug in to that. Since they called me back to work finally, I've been driving around a lot DT and more and more the SC waterfront seems to be an urgent question for the future. I feel like we're starting to see the limitations on DT development (running out of open lots, CVC corridors, etc). Those limitations are pushing pretty hard on what's being proposed . . .and we're getting these nutso huge towers out of the deal. And I'm not complaining! I love nutso huge towers! But the ramp up in size seems indicative not only of pure demand but also of constraints on supply. We need more land to open up to build on, and pretty darn quick.

(Part of me is secretly wishing we had a valve we could open that would release some of the demand pressure that's building up. It's getting us some amazing projects, but it also feels unnatural and kind of like we're hurtling out of control. YMMV of course, but to me the amount of attention we're getting from the wide world is starting to feel kinda scary.)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 9:19 PM

Austin Environmental Commission OKs updated version of development plan near Lady Bird Lake

Quote:
The city of Austin is one step closer to redeveloping land near the Austin American-Statesman building, an area where many Austinites watch the South Congress Avenue bridge bats fly, following the approval of a planned unit development...

Staff from the Austin Watershed Protection Department did not recommend the approval of the original PUD, citing multiple environmental concerns. The Austin Environmental Commission approved an amended version of the PUD that meets multiple environmental requirements and addresses those concerns. The PUD now moves to the Austin Planning Commission.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ady-bird-lake/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyvilleJ-Rad View Post
Austin Environmental Commission OKs updated version of development plan near Lady Bird Lake

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ady-bird-lake/
Fantastic. It'll be so amazing to have highrises on both banks of the river.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 2:16 PM
World Traveler

I really like the vision. I think it will be cool to see some more height down there - any idea on height restrictions? I didn't see any mention in the article, but it would be cool to see an increase in height for that area to take full advantage.

I also like seeing the rail bridge there - and I look forward to seeing the designs from the forthcoming competition.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
I I didn't see any mention in the article, but it would be cool to see an increase in height for that area to take full advantage.
I totally agree.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 7:59 PM

Regarding the Netflix rumor in other threads, this is where I'd be looking to build an HQ. Blank slate to build a Netflixland.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I really like the vision. I think it will be cool to see some more height down there - any idea on height restrictions? I didn't see any mention in the article, but it would be cool to see an increase in height for that area to take full advantage.

I also like seeing the rail bridge there - and I look forward to seeing the designs from the forthcoming competition.
Included in one of the supporting documents in one of the staff reports (sounds like proposed max-heights have remained the same):

Quote:
The SCWP calls for a maximum building height of 400 feet, while the Project proposes a maximum building height of 525 feet. It should be noted that the Property will be limited to the north by the waterfront park and to the south by the extension of Barton Springs Road. This will leave approximately 6.25 acres of developable area.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 9:30 PM

There is hypothetical massing and heights on the 21st page in this document for anyone interested:

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=368490

They include surrounding areas as well in the SCWP, but this doesn't appear to include the higher entitlements they are requesting (400' max). Whatever we end up with could be far taller and denser.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 10:17 PM
Meh

I'm hoping they go tall and allow a good amount of open public land near the river. I absolutely love those public spaces with green lawns and trails along the river. The pedestrian/rail bridge is amazing, and I'm freaking ecstatic at the idea of expanding the boardwalk near the bat viewing area. I think the nimbies will whine without ever realizing what we're gaining by nixing those awful parking lots and putting up high rises where they are while razing the American Statesman complex and opening up that land for public park space fronting the river. They'll just see the towers and shake their heads not realizing what they're missing. The river is such a gem and I'm fully supportive of building along it, while also setting back in places to allow a public park space. I think this development will actually be more transformative and important to this part of Austin than even the Green Water redevelopment was. I mean, this will include a new rail bridge and new public park space which will benefit the whole of Central Austin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin