HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm just not so sure politics has anything to do with it. Do you honestly think gov't buildings are in great shape in cities like Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans, etc?

I think it's a bi-partisan issue of just kicking the can down the road.
I've got to agree with you here. I have worked for two state governments (Texas and Maryland) and lived in several other cities where I made use of municipal or state facilities for one reason or another. None of these locales maintained government facilities at anything near the same level that would probably prevail with a private landlord. These government entities definitely tend to "kick the can down the road". Liberal Maryland was just as derelict as conservative Texas in this regard. The DC municipal government was probably the worst offender. Their municipal buildings were (1990s) disgusting.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:35 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I've got to agree with you here. I have worked for two state governments (Texas and Maryland) and lived in several other cities where I made use of municipal or state facilities for one reason or another. None of these locales maintained government facilities at anything near the same level that would probably prevail with a private landlord. These government entities definitely tend to "kick the can down the road". Liberal Maryland was just as derelict as conservative Texas in this regard. The DC municipal government was probably the worst offender. Their municipal buildings were (1990s) disgusting.
Are you distinguishing between state and local property here? Municipal buildings are never nice, because they don't have as large a tax base as states.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Are you distinguishing between state and local property here? Municipal buildings are never nice, because they don't have as large a tax base as states.
You weren't distinguishing between state and local property when you implied that it was the states of Michigan and Louisiana that were responsibile for the horrible conditions of buildings in New Orleans and Detroit.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You weren't distinguishing between state and local property when you implied that it was the states of Michigan and Louisiana that were responsibile for the horrible conditions of buildings in New Orleans and Detroit.
Yes, actually I was. There are significant state owned bureaucratic properties in every large city and I was confining my analysis to only those properties own by states.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
No, I am not distinguishing between state and local. I was discussing my experiences in both environments. Government run buildings in most of the jurisdictions where I have lived are not well maintained. The exception is for most Federal properties. DC enjoyed ample revenue from the Feds when I lived there, but they also had a municipal payroll (courtesy of Marion Barry) of almost 50,000 souls who mostly did nothing to earn their keep. I can assure you that they were not concerned with keeping municipal buildings there in tip top shape. Other cities where I have lived followed a similar path. LA City Hall and SF City Hall, two magnificent buildings, were falling apart until they received post earthquake renovations in the late 1990s. They'll probably be in rough shape again before too very long. State office buildings in California and Maryland were dirty and many had plumbing and roofing problems. I just don't think the liberal/conservative dichotomy has much relevance in this discussion. Governments pinch pennies where they think they can get away with it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 7:32 AM
Meh

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news....257273.735770
Quote:
Texas Capitol campus getting two new buildings in expansion plan
Updated: 8:53 p.m. Sunday, June 21, 2015 | Posted: 7:02 p.m. Sunday, June 21, 2015

By Marty Toohey - American-Statesman Staff

Hoping to avoid the skyrocketing Austin rents, the state government is set to start a $1 billion-plus construction effort that would include a pair of new downtown buildings opening by 2020.

The two new downtown buildings would sit along the east side of Congress Avenue. One would be roughly 650,000 square feet, located at 18th Street, across the street from the Bob Bullock State History Museum. The other would be roughly 421,500 square feet, sitting between East 16th and 17th streets. Both structures would be built on what are now parking lots.

The new downtown buildings — the height, shape and look of which won’t be settled until next spring — will be accompanied by a new building at the state government campus in North Austin, near the Triangle mixed-use area at the confluence of Lamar Boulevard, Guadalupe Street and 45th Street. The North Austin campus will host more than half the state’s health and human services operations in Austin, which are scattered around the city in various rented spaces.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 8:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Cool. Based on planned square footage and the lots, can you give an estimated height?

Also, remember that discussion of TSD being developed? This puts an end to that hypothetical. Story mentions $37.7 million will go there for renovations.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

Here are the locations from Streetview.

650,000 sq. ft. tower:

421,500 sq. ft. tower:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 9:09 PM
Member since 2001

The 18th & Congress site, if you remember, is the surface lot where the Austin Planetarium attempted to develop a new science & technology museum in conjunction with a 45-story (or so) condo tower.

The lot covers almost 2.5 acres (or just under 109,000 SF). Even though the new building is proposed to be roughly 650,000 of office space, there is a good chance it will not be very tall. It might just be a 6-10 story square-block-sized cube (height could change depending on parking - podium garage or subsurface).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 9:27 PM

I know this is an empty wish... but I "wish" the state had the forsight to build affordable housing along with the new office space. That way many of the state workers would have a better chance of living nearby and not having to commute.
Imagine!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I know this is an empty wish... but I "wish" the state had the forsight to build affordable housing along with the new office space. That way many of the state workers would have a better chance of living nearby and not having to commute.
Imagine!
You can wake up now.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You can wake up now.
It's a damn shame...... I was enjoying my dream. ;-)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 12:10 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Imagine!
Affordable housing connected to a state office building in Texas? It's more likely that the planetarium would be built with a launch pad on the roof for a space craft also.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Affordable housing connected to a state office building in Texas? It's more likely that the planetarium would be built with a launch pad on the roof for a space craft also.
agreed!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:52 PM
Meh

Here's the preliminary schematic for the new Capitol complex office buildings.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ject_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's the preliminary schematic for the new Capitol complex office buildings.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ject_PLANS.pdf
Is this not connecting to the city's server or is it just my corporate spam filters preventing access?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Is this not connecting to the city's server or is it just my corporate spam filters preventing access?
It's an ftp site which are typically blocked by those corporate filters.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's an ftp site which are typically blocked by those corporate filters.
Stupid work.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 10:02 PM
Meh

By the way, it doesn't show much. No images of the buildings themselves, only their locations.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:57 AM

Drilling permits were filed today for the parking lot that is the site of a proposed 421,500 sq. ft. state office building. This is the one that looked to be about 15 floors based on the block renderings. This is the site from a previous post:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin