HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 7:01 PM

Sorry I mis-remembered that. It's $1 billion in construction for the 3 plants. Plus all the business of buying the canola, crushing it, selling it and paying people to operate the plants.

Anywho, some big projects for Regina.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I think "...billions in new business growth for Regina and Saskatoon" is well past cliche into delusion, but I digress.

Personally I'd love to see Kinew as Premier and Murray as Mayor of Winnipeg. A mayor with an actual vision for the city and a Premier who (apparently) isn't hostile towards the city. Of course I don't know how much would get done, but I would expect we'd see at least somewhat of a rise in downtown re-development (maybe action on The Bay building?) At the very least we wouldn't have a provincial government that doesn't leave millions of Federal $$ on the table because they wouldn't want to sully themselves taking that dirty "Liberal" money.
That has been a big problem for Winnipeg for some time - the mayor not being in synch with the premier, and the controlling rural caucus.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 7:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sorry I mis-remembered that. It's $1 billion in construction for the 3 plants. Plus all the business of buying the canola, crushing it, selling it and paying people to operate the plants.

I doubt MB would have been in the running for those canola plants.

We did get two new pea-protein plants (one massive and one that is expandable in the future) and a massive expansion to Simplot (although two of the three are in PlaP).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's true, I had forgotten about that one.

Still I think the original statement was concocted to give the impression that the two cities are rolling in mountains of cash from businesses who couldn't wait to move there. It could just be me. But I don't think so.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:12 PM

Regina is central to large areas of canola production. So the location makes sense. Manitoba could support canola production. But yes we've gone in the pea/soybean direction.

I wasn't saying Manitoba could've pulled in those plants. But there is a large amount of money being spent near Regina. Other smaller plants, such as in Yorkton, are being expanded for Canola.

I remember a time in recent past when China banned our Canola and it was panic mode by opposition politician's . Doomsday. But we found other ways. Go figure. Sure it was a loss. But things get sorted out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I doubt MB would have been in the running for those canola plants.

We did get two new pea-protein plants (one massive and one that is expandable in the future) and a massive expansion to Simplot (although two of the three are in PlaP).
Simplot expansion was $100-$200m and Roquette was $450m+, Merit in Winnipeg was $65m
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Simplot expansion was $100-$200m and Roquette was $450m+
I believe Roquette was closer to $600 million.

The Merit is much more modest, but I still think it was close to $100 million by the time they got finished.

All told, those three projects would have totaled in the neighbourhood of a billion.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
That has been a big problem for Winnipeg for some time - the mayor not being in synch with the premier, and the controlling rural caucus.
18 Winnipeg PC MLA's
2 Brandon PC MLA's - Depends if they are urban or rurban?
18 Rural PC MLA's

32 Winnipeg Seats
23 Rural and Northern seats.

Winnipeg controls the Legislature far more than outside the Perimeter ever does. I think some of you inside the wall are a little paranoid,

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Regina is central to large areas of canola production. So the location makes sense. Manitoba could support canola production. But yes we've gone in the pea/soybean direction.

I wasn't saying Manitoba could've pulled in those plants. But there is a large amount of money being spent near Regina. Other smaller plants, such as in Yorkton, are being expanded for Canola.

I remember a time in recent past when China banned our Canola and it was panic mode by opposition politician's . Doomsday. But we found other ways. Go figure. Sure it was a loss. But things get sorted out.
Plum Coulee has had a Canola Crushing Plant for years, I remember hauling canola there back in the early 80's. Don't know if it is still there.

MB grows quite a bit of Canola as well. Farmers around my brother's place grow a rotation of wheat-canola-soybeans/peas.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:26 PM

Manitoba does grow canola for sure. I've done a lot of work in the ag sector over the last decade +. Saskatchewan is heavy on potash mines and farming canola. In the Regina and Saskatoon areas specifically.

I'd be interested to see actual stats, as I'm going of mostly my anecdotal experiences.

I've worked on countless elevators and such from Manitoba through Alberta. And most of the canola work, especially crushing plants, is in Saskatchewan. Farmers sell their grain to Viterra, Cargill, etc and it gets shipped by rail to the crushing plants or on to other markets.

Obviously Manitoba does farming well and we compete globally on that market. It's the other things we need to figure out. Such as potential to leverage EV markets.

There's a silica sand mine opening on the east side of lake Winnipeg somewhere. Road accessible. They will ship the sand to Selkirk to make glass for solar panels.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:31 PM

Regarding Roquette. They specifically chose Portage La Prairie because of the French name, and perception it is a largely French community. Maybe someone can tell me if that's actually the case. Roquette is a French company and the engineering and design work was based out of Montreal. Again French obviously.

They also wanted to use smaller local companies, as much as possible, which is nice.

Also Portage being central to an area with large pea protein potential.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Manitoba does grow canola for sure. I've done a lot of work in the ag sector over the last decade +. Saskatchewan is heavy on potash mines and farming canola. In the Regina and Saskatoon areas specifically.

I'd be interested to see actual stats, as I'm going of mostly my anecdotal experiences.

I've worked on countless elevators and such from Manitoba through Alberta. And most of the canola work, especially crushing plants, is in Saskatchewan. Farmers sell their grain to Viterra, Cargill, etc and it gets shipped by rail to the crushing plants or on to other markets.

Obviously Manitoba does farming well and we compete globally on that market. It's the other things we need to figure out. Such as potential to leverage EV markets.

There's a silica sand mine opening on the east side of lake Winnipeg somewhere. Road accessible. They will ship the sand to Selkirk to make glass for solar panels.
Sask is also the Lentil capital. Areas to the south and west of Regina are prime Lentil ground.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Regarding Roquette. They specifically chose Portage La Prairie because of the French name, and perception it is a largely French community. Maybe someone can tell me if that's actually the case. Roquette is a French company and the engineering and design work was based out of Montreal. Again French obviously.
You would think someone from Roquette would have flown out, rented a car and taken a spin around town to size things up before the company decided to drop a half a billion on a new plant

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:21 PM

Regina last year had 3 billion in new business developments i wish this were a joke but its not Sask is eating our lunch when it comes to a hospitable business climate

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Lots of potatoes grown in Mb too. I think that is why the big spud-processing plant was built outside of P la P a few years ago.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
18 Winnipeg PC MLA's
2 Brandon PC MLA's - Depends if they are urban or rurban?
18 Rural PC MLA's

32 Winnipeg Seats
23 Rural and Northern seats.

Winnipeg controls the Legislature far more than outside the Perimeter ever does. I think some of you inside the wall are a little paranoid,
Rural members have been prominent in Cabinet positions and have way more weight than is merited given the number of people they represent. The fact is that Winnipeg issues are not a big concern for the largely rural non-Winnipeg caucus. That’s shown up in the Winnipeg polling numbers. It shouldn’t be that way but that’s the way it turned out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Rural members have been prominent in Cabinet positions and have way more weight than is merited given the number of people they represent. The fact is that Winnipeg issues are not a big concern for the largely rural non-Winnipeg caucus. That’s shown up in the Winnipeg polling numbers. It shouldn’t be that way but that’s the way it turned out.
Well when the NDP get back in (which it seems it will) the pendulum will certainly swing way back to the urban caucus running the entire Manitoba show.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well when the NDP get back in (which it seems it will) the pendulum will certainly swing way back to the urban caucus running the entire Manitoba show.
It shouldn’t. Political parties who get elected are supposed to represent everybody. That hasn’t happened with this government.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Considering that Winnipeg is 60% of the province’s population while providing 66% of Manitoba’s GDP isn’t it justifiable that the province shouldn’t vilify by far its most important asset?

Like we can pretend that rural Manitoba should get equal say but there’s no actual objectivity to that claim. Quite frankly, without Winnipeg this province is nearly worthless.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
If you are going to make these kinds of accusations, then provide some proof. All I could find on line was that these incidents happened. I kind of expect a higher standard from people who post on here, it's not the Winnipeg Sun comment section.
Your political bias is showing on this thread.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that has minimal investigation skills that the incidents were almost certainly complete fabrications. That is why they were dismissed. There was no proof that they ever happened, and the maintenance crew discovered that it was impossible to slide a cell phone under the spot, as the clearance was not enough to fit any cell phone through. The onus is on you to prove that the incidents happened. If you read between the lines of the articles, the maintenance crew are implying that she is full of it.

"In Fontaine's case, the crack was so narrow under the door he does not believe the camera would have captured anything other than the bathroom ceiling.

"Nothing else," said Bruce. "We didn't call the police."

Let not forget her comparing the Youth For Christ outreach and recreation centre at Higgins and Main with being sent to residential schools:

www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/kevin_engstrom/2010/02/28/13061351.html

Or organizing the boycott of non-Native business Day.

caledoniawakeupcall.wordpress.com/2007/06/28/boycott-non-native-businesses-friday-manitoba-chiefs-urge/

Last edited by BlackDog204; Feb 19, 2022 at 12:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan