HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:24 AM
Reach for the heavens

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_ting_on View Post
Such a waste of money. I'm waiting to see what the response is from Druh's minions on this. Hard to come back with any kind of an argument.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:31 AM
Reach for the heavens

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:04 AM
No man's land

What does Druh have to do with that ?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I don't mind it either but how could that cost $1.57 million or whatever the exact cost was?
It's a pretty unflattering picture.

In any case, this article does a good job of outlining where most of the costs goes for these projects (hint, it isn't the artist).

Mostly labour, specific project requirements, and their integration into the site itself.

The fact is, the City of Calgary has an eminently reasonable public art policy, which takes into account all stakeholders, including members of the community itself. There really isn't too much broken here, and perhaps if the cranky curmudgeons have a problem with certain pieces of art, they should get involved with the local community process for vetting artists.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:17 AM

Thank god it's not going to the artist, my 6 year old daughter could do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
It's a pretty unflattering picture.

In any case, this article does a good job of outlining where most of the costs goes for these projects (hint, it isn't the artist).

Mostly labour, specific project requirements, and their integration into the site itself.

The fact is, the City of Calgary has an eminently reasonable public art policy, which takes into account all stakeholders, including members of the community itself. There really isn't too much broken here, and perhaps if the cranky curmudgeons have a problem with certain pieces of art, they should get involved with the local community process for vetting artists.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:47 PM

Sean Chu would probably know, he posted it on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Do you have a link to background on this one? Seems unfathomable!

Blue hoola hoop is so much better. Honest.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:03 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I'm not sure what people are expecting. We are spending a million here and a million there for art levies to create and improve public spaces. Is the problem the artists aren't good enough? Do people think we should be spending more on better more impactful artwork?
My only comment, is when it comes to art as part of non-accessible locations, like interchanges, I would like to see the spend reduced to more like the Glenmore Fish, Bison on the Crowchild & Shaganappi ones, etc just break up the dullness of blank concrete. I'd be fine funneling the unspent cash from those projects to better quality interactive ones.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:44 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Do you have a link to background on this one? Seems unfathomable!

Blue hoola hoop is so much better. Honest.
I love that sculpture in Ralph Klein park and fully appreciate its’ contribution to the surroundings. In person it has a real timeless geologic feel. It gave me an introspective, peaceful feeling.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:47 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishthebow View Post
Your 6 year old daughter could create a massive steel, monolithic earth sculpture? Wow!

Last edited by O-tacular; Dec 8, 2017 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:48 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
And the whole crux of the art issue can be summed up with this post. The art installation looks like crap, and 95% would agree that it looks crap, but there are always that 5% that find something redeemable in it and thus ruin it for the other 95%.

Like buddy, do you even look at it???
Like buddy, have you ever even been to the park or seen it? The problem is the non creative masses that delight in dull, unimaginative utility.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:03 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Let me guess, you're one of those morons who think this is public art.

Let me guess, you’re one of those morons who thinks art is a bronze cowboy?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:11 AM

Statues are awesome, my favorite growing up was Deerfoot!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:19 AM
Fake News

Quote:
The most entertaining piece of art in the city is...............................

The Sage Hill Rock

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...431931?cmp=rss

Functional art! The problem appears to be that it’s doing its’ job of preventing idiots from mounting the curb a little too well.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:23 AM
Fake News

Quote:
I don't mind it. It fits and flows into the landscape nicely, and I think the artist captured the essence of what she was trying to accomplish as creating a space for thoughtful meditation in a park.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. We are spending a million here and a million there for art levies to create and improve public spaces. Is the problem the artists aren't good enough? Do people think we should be spending more on better more impactful artwork?

Maybe on their own, Bowfort Towers, the Blue Ring, and the Sentinels don't give you the wow factor, but they all contribute to the art landscape throughout the city, and are landmarks, areas to explore, and integrate into the public realm to form a holistic improvement to our city scapes.

I think Beltline's "Chinook Arc", and the Telus Sky LED light show are one form of art, and these structures are another. I don't think every piece of art needs to be a flashy superficial Shanghai/Hong Kong inspired light show.

It's easy to complain about art, it's hard to present a coherent solution. If you just want pretty lights everywhere, be honest about it. These pieces of art are all from established artists, many of whom wish to contribute and pay respects to the landscape the art is placed in - and having them in our city, in my opinion, does add value.
Thank you for articulating this so well!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I love that sculpture in Ralph Klein park and fully appreciate its’ contribution to the surroundings. In person it has a real timeless geologic feel. It gave me an introspective, peaceful feeling.
I'm not sure how that sculpture can contribute to its surroundings, unless you call someone getting injured by banging into it a contribution? You must be easy to please if a rusted piece of metal gives you an introspective feeling.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:
If she really could, then she should be able to start landing art commissions with major governments like Beverly Pepper has, she should build her artistic reputation to the point where she is short listed by a panel of experts, she should be able to articulate an artistic vision for the site in front of said panel given the infrastructure and specific site limitations - and she should be able to build consensus around her vision and get sign off from community members and local artists, winning the bid against other renowned artists in front of this panel.

Once this step has been completed by your 6 year old, she should be able to coordinate infrastructure, construction, contractors, metal workers, mechanical engineers, and so on, to be able to faithfully bring her vision into the real world. On time, on budget, and representing exactly the vision she laid out to the panel.

If your 6 year old can accomplish all this, more power to her. I look forward to her winning an art commission in front of an expert panel and faithfully delivering on that by coordinating a myriad of departments to realise her vision.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
I'm not sure how that sculpture can contribute to its surroundings, unless you call someone getting injured by banging into it a contribution? You must be easy to please if a rusted piece of metal gives you an introspective feeling.
So you've never been to the park?

Why is it so many who aren't even in the communities involved get their panties in a wad over the art that these communities themselves have decided on?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:10 AM

Quote:
So you've never been to the park?

Why is it so many who aren't even in the communities involved get their panties in a wad over the art that these communities themselves have decided on?
Ralph Klein Park is not in a community. It is confined by the ring road in a semi rural/semi industrial area. The section of bike path to which it connects is barely used. The fail on this one is placing public art in a location where few will experience it. Again, an inflexible policy requiring a set amount be spent no matter the context is to blame.

Calgary's best public art is privately funded: the two pieces at the Bow, Conversation on Stephen Ave (and its rarely mentioned companion in the lobby of the General Services Building at Foothills).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Ralph Klein Park is not in a community. It is confined by the ring road in a semi rural/semi industrial area. The section of bike path to which it connects is barely used. The fail on this one is placing public art in a location where few will experience it. Again, an inflexible policy requiring a set amount be spent no matter the context is to blame.

Calgary's best public art is privately funded: the two pieces at the Bow, Conversation on Stephen Ave (and its rarely mentioned companion in the lobby of the General Services Building at Foothills).
To be absolutely pedantic the community would be Shepard, part of Ward 12, which is immediately adjacent to this park.

It sounds like you have a problem with the park itself, which was in fact a $32 million expenditure to deliver Calgary's first wetlands park.

In any case, I find it funny how after almost 15 years of Calgary's public art program, with dozens upon dozens of successful and well regarded projects, 3 projects in particular have received any controversy whatsoever, and all of them occurring in the Facebook era of loud empty cans complaining about everything.

We are quickly becoming a society dictated by the loudest angry voices, and they are frequently proving themselves to be wrong at almost every turn.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues