HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:32 PM
Moran supreme

Single wide double garages

Since I am a subcontractor that does cabinet installation/service I happen to be in a lot of new developments and one thing that is starting to show up more frequently in townhome developments are single width double garages. These are usually in built on slab three or four floor townhomes with the garage occupying the ground floor as well as the home's mechanicals.

Now I understand how this garage arrangement appeals to a developer in being able to squeeze more on a particular plot of land but from a home owner's perspective I can not figure out the appeal. Yes, the townhome prices seem to be a bit cheaper but with 9 and 10 foot floors becoming very common place, stairwells now occupy a significant amount of these town home's living space as well.

I guess different strokes for different folks but a single width double garage just does not seem to be a great design in any sense.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Since I am a subcontractor that does cabinet installation/service I happen to be in a lot of new developments and one thing that is starting to show up more frequently in townhome developments are single width double garages. These are usually in built on slab three or four floor townhomes with the garage occupying the ground floor as well as the home's mechanicals.

Now I understand how this garage arrangement appeals to a developer in being able to squeeze more on a particular plot of land but from a home owner's perspective I can not figure out the appeal. Yes, the townhome prices seem to be a bit cheaper but with 9 and 10 foot floors becoming very common place, stairwells now occupy a significant amount of these town home's living space as well.

I guess different strokes for different folks but a single width double garage just does not seem to be a great design in any sense.
Not to mention the “morning shuffle” required for home’s occupants to leave from/return to the home at different times of the day! If I ever get into a townhome, I will not be purchasing this type of garage.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:41 PM
HVAC guru

I wouldn't want a tandem double. Seems like a real pain. I can see it being being popular in townhouse development though, especially the walkup type

The new trend here seems to be the toy garages. Basically garages you can also fit your boat or RV in

We sold our trailer last year, we just didn't use it enough and paying the $80/ month to store it seemed pointless. But the last thing I'd want is a trailer sitting on th bad behind my garage all the time

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I lived in a single family dwelling in AB about 15 years ago with a single-width double deep garage, and it was great from the perspective of having a much more functional back yard.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 5:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I lived in a single family dwelling in AB about 15 years ago with a single-width double deep garage, and it was great from the perspective of having a much more functional back yard.
I don't get it. Can you elaborate IE how a single width double deep garage makes for a more functional back yard, as opposed to I guess a double width single deep garage.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 6:34 PM

I lived in one for two years, with my spouse also having a car. The "morning shuffle" is entirely tolerable if you can arrange your schedules to leave at the same time, or if by some miracle one car consistently comes home later in the evening and leaves earlier in the morning.

Clearly, it's "better" for a single person or single-car family. Then the back end of the garage could be used for storage space or whatever -- but still provides the flexibility of two car spaces should you have guests, or if life changes happen and a one-car family decides they need a second car.

In our case, a double-width garage would have made the unit wider than it really needed to be, and thus more expensive than it needed to be. It's certainly not for everyone, but it has its place in the range of housing options.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I could see if it you used the alley-half as a garage and the yard half as a workshop

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues