HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
2005 325's cant be grouped in the with the 323, 320, or the 318. The 325 I own has almost as much power as the newer 328's. A neon? no way.
You certainly can't group it with the 330/35/M3 either. But really, if you look at performance, the 325i is like the dodge neon

2005 BMW 325i is rated at 0-60mph 7.0 sec.(manual), 7.8 sec.(automatic)
The more common and somewhat basic Dodge Neon RTs do it in 7.4/7.5 sec, right in line with the BMW 325i.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 rated at 0-60mph 5.3 sec.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 1:03 AM

Good idea for a thread. 2012 VW GTI here... Posted a photo in the other car thread a month ago or so. Loving it so far. Now that I'm through the break in period, it's been a hoot to put it through its paces (without going overboard).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 2:31 AM

From the Construction thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Noone is buying a GT-R for a practical car in this city. In a city where it never snows it is a fine vehicle for a bachelor, it has enough room for groceries, it can hold one set of golf clubs, it will perhaps help abit in the "still a bachelor" conundrum. In Calgary the problem is you cannot drive it in the snow or ice.
You'd be surprised. I know at least a dozen people that use the GTR as their "winter car". Reason being that it's fast and awd, and while (whether $80k or not), it's still "just a Nissan"... It feels more ok leaving it out in the snow, taking a rock chip on the front end or windshield and, He forbid, getting into an accident will cost substantially less than any other comparable car.

That all being said, I have to agree with what Tdurden said - the GTR is a bore. The sheer performance numbers are there, but achieving them is no fun. The same guys I referenced above park thier GTRs during the summer and bring out their "toys"; they may not be as quick (though some are), but the overall enjoyment easily eclipses the experience in the GTR.

For those that haven't driven one, it is a must. But once you do, most are left looking for a more complete experience.

BTW, as far as maintenance goes, I'd rather pay the bills on a newer Porsche Turbo... Hell, as of the 2012MY, the Ferrari 458 has a service warranty for 7 years where you don't pay for any regular services...

Anyways, happy to see an automotive forum here! Interesting to hear a slightly different perspective...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 3:18 AM

Looks like there are some nice cars amongst the CP community. I'm a huge car guy myself, and while I can always appreciate that cars are almost always a terrible financial investment, if they put a smile on your face every time you drive, it's worth it. At least that's what I tell me dear wife.

Last edited by CorporateWhore; Aug 11, 2012 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Looks like there are some nice cars amongst the CP community. I'm a huge car guy myself, and while I can always appreciate that cars are almost always a terrible financial investment, if they put a smile on your face every time you drive, it's worth it. At least that's what I tell me dear wife.
That's some good logic, does she buy it?

Anyone tested one of those new Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ cars yet? they look cool, just curious what the level of fit and finish and performance is like.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

Anyone tested one of those new Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ cars yet? they look cool, just curious what the level of fit and finish and performance is like.
They're great looking cars. I saw an FR-S on the streets last month.
MotorTrend gave them both good reviews in initial test. BRZ is slightly better for performance/at the track.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 9:12 PM

Good timing by me, I was just about to pop in and give my story hehe

Currently leasing an '09 Corolla S 1.8 in metallic blue.... honestly a great car, never thought I'd see toyota step up their game so much in little time, I swear I was reaping criticism on them for how basic their cars were before these gens came out, but decided to give them a try, hopped in the corolla for the test drive and absolutely loved it. Interior is simple but very inviting, you mold to the seat as you sit down, ample space in the back for passengers, exterior is a definite upgrade from the previous gen corollas, and fuel economy is definitely not one to complain about... All said and done I would buy this car without even looking back, if it weren't for the commitment I already have towards my turntables + mixer..... HOWEVER.

I am looking at upgrading to the FR-S. It wasn't until only recently, like a week and a half ago, that I had a sudden urge to check out the car... It didn't seem practical to me until I had actually researched more about it, then thought wow.... I would have paid close to $26,000 all in for my corolla when realistically, $29000 would have landed me a great looking, performing, AND valuable sports car with pretty convincing practicality for all year round driving. I drooled at the thought, and now pushing my absolute hardest to make it happen... Even if it means I've gotta sell my DJ equipment to make it happen... I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN! (the lease for my corolla ends in one week)

Practicality includes (but is not limited to the following):
2.0L engine (I love fuel economy, this is just the icing on the cake)
EXTREME low center of gravity (I've heard it beats out the porsche cayman in this category)
it's overall light weight.....
RWD.... HELL YES, bring on your filthiest winter mother nature!!!! I'm definitely intrigued to see how it will perform in winter with all the factors.... Light weight + low center of gravity + rwd

Best of all, for its price, it is ONE SEXY VEHICLE.
And also leaves a lot of room to tune for the performance enthusiast
If this works out for me, I'll be looking to send it off to the guys at Accelerated Performance in Ohio to throw in a turbo kit...
Right now from the factory the car pushes around 170hp, 140~ ft/lbs tq to the wheels... with this slight upgrade we'd be looking at 100hp+, 70~ish ft/lbs tq improvement, to about 275~hp, 210 ft/lbs tq.... almost 310hp to the crank!! Of course they're just in the infant stages with the experimental tuning but so far the results only show positive, no damage to the drivetrain or any internals, everything is holding up strong... You'd think with the high compression ratio, the car was built to remain factory tuned, I think it was done to make the game a little more interesting . The more I research about this car, the more I fall in love with it, the more motivated I am to make it happen!!

2013 Hot Lava Scion FR-S WILL BE MINE

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 11:27 PM

Careful what you wish for with a RWD car and our winters. Just make sure you have a VERY good set of winter tires, and it won't be too bad. I have a Lexus IS 300. Love the car, but if we get a surprise snow storm in October before I get my winters on, the car stays parked until the snow melts because it is downright dangerous. During the winter, it is fine to drive around (even take it to the ski hills regularly), but you have to watch your foot on the gas (or have traction control save you, as it has me a few times). Light cars can flip their ass out so quickly on you. I don't mean to dissuade you, just letting you know that you will have to be a bit more careful in the winter is all.

Having said that, the Scion FR-S looks like an awesome car, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Well I also believe in the philosophy of "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission", so that helps.

Also, my wife is actually very cool about it, and for some strange reason, likes to see me happy.

Also, I made sure to buy my car before we were married! That's key.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Careful what you wish for with a RWD car and our winters. Just make sure you have a VERY good set of winter tires, and it won't be too bad. I have a Lexus IS 300. Love the car, but if we get a surprise snow storm in October before I get my winters on, the car stays parked until the snow melts because it is downright dangerous. During the winter, it is fine to drive around (even take it to the ski hills regularly), but you have to watch your foot on the gas (or have traction control save you, as it has me a few times). Light cars can flip their ass out so quickly on you. I don't mean to dissuade you, just letting you know that you will have to be a bit more careful in the winter is all.

Having said that, the Scion FR-S looks like an awesome car, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Definitely agree with you there. I'll need a manual boost controller for sure if I happen to get the upgrade before winter starts to settle in, and the best quality set of winters around. Not gonna hold my breath but last winter was pretty mild all around save for the odd monthly snowfall and the 2weekish long deep freeze in January... I'm kinda hoping this winter mimics it

Plus I've read these cars' traction control are top notch, having a 'snow' option to go along with the 'sport' option...

But I wholly agree, it'll be a test to see how it performs in our winters. I'll be careful to take it very cautiously around all scenarios before I feel comfortable with what it can handle; inclines, black ice etc...

Ultimately I'm not quite worried about it as it's backed by 2 solid automakers in the industry, my first and second faves to be more specific haha
can you guess which is first?
I'm sure you love your lexus too though, I'll always tell someone to go 'Yota first and foremost..... if 'Yotas not an option, Suby's the only other way

Thanks though! I'm sure she'll be a beaut, as long as everything goes according to plan
I'll keep you updated haha

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:15 AM

I don't think you have to worry too much about the FRS/BRZ in the winter....the car doesn't have an over abundance of power/torque for you to lose control with. We're not talking 400 HP here that will swing your ass out at the slightest press of the pedal. If it's going to go out, it's probably because you want it to!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry too much about the FRS/BRZ in the winter....the car doesn't have an over abundance of power/torque for you to lose control with. We're not talking 400 HP here that will swing your ass out at the slightest press of the pedal. If it's going to go out, it's probably because you want it to!
That depends entirely on the tires. My friend used to drive a BMW 320i. I think it had 148hp... it would still kick the tail out in snow if you weren't gentle with the throttle, even with winter tires. RWD just isn't optimal for winter driving. You can certainly make it work, but it isn't quite as idiot proof.

The FR-S looks like a damn awesome car. The world has been seriously lacking a cheap, fun, FR coupe. And, it's nice to see Toyota release something that isn't a dull appliance. I was heavily considering getting one before I got my GTI, but opted for more practicality (and torque ). But, you'll definitely need a set of winter tires for it, and maybe some sandbags in the trunk.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Definitely agree with you there. I'll need a manual boost controller for sure if I happen to get the upgrade before winter starts to settle in, and the best quality set of winters around. Not gonna hold my breath but last winter was pretty mild all around save for the odd monthly snowfall and the 2weekish long deep freeze in January... I'm kinda hoping this winter mimics it

Not trying to be a smart ass, why do you need a boost controller for a normally aspirated vehicle? or did I perhaps miss something and your talking about a different vehicle than the FRS or the Corolla?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:12 AM

Quote:
My rear likes to swing out with my 148 squirrels and their 180ft lbs.... this is caused only by the ft-lbs and the cam profile in it. With a more aggressive cam profile, the FRS would probably have less low end grunt, followed by a decent midrange and awesome top end.

as for sandbags or other forms of added weight, I'm not sure how I feel about this because while it provides you increased weight on a contact patch, this extra weight adds to inertia. I'm more of a fan of winter tire compounds and reducing your contact patch size with skinnier rubber.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
My rear likes to swing out with my 148 squirrels and their 180ft lbs.... this is caused only by the ft-lbs and the cam profile in it. With a more aggressive cam profile, the FRS would probably have less low end grunt, followed by a decent midrange and awesome top end.

as for sandbags or other forms of added weight, I'm not sure how I feel about this because while it provides you increased weight on a contact patch, this extra weight adds to inertia. I'm more of a fan of winter tire compounds and reducing your contact patch size with skinnier rubber.
Actually, I'll take back the sandbag suggestion. I'm guessing the weight distribution on the FR-S et al. is probably 50/50 or close to it, so it probably wouldn't help too much. It helps a lot in RWD trucks, because the weight distribution is very front biased. That really isn't an issue in this case, and as you said, you can get a bit of a pendulum effect going (ala. the old 911 Turbos) in a rear heavy situation.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Actually, I'll take back the sandbag suggestion. I'm guessing the weight distribution on the FR-S et al. is probably 50/50 or close to it, so it probably wouldn't help too much. It helps a lot in RWD trucks, because the weight distribution is very front biased. That really isn't an issue in this case, and as you said, you can get a bit of a pendulum effect going (ala. the old 911 Turbos) in a rear heavy situation.
yeah I drive RWD truck all year around with just a normal AS compound tire. Even in this case the weight isn't worth it, I think this is more of a relic idea of the past(similar to using studded tires or two snow tires). I think the FRS will still be slightly worse(than FWD) as there isn't as much weight directly over the drive axle in certain situations. However, the way I tend to look at it is atleast when the rear steps out you have more control over the axle movements.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
That depends entirely on the tires. My friend used to drive a BMW 320i. I think it had 148hp... it would still kick the tail out in snow if you weren't gentle with the throttle, even with winter tires. RWD just isn't optimal for winter driving. You can certainly make it work, but it isn't quite as idiot proof.
You definitely still have to be careful, but what I'm saying is that if you drive reasonably, it's not THAT big of a deal.....I wouldn't let it deter me from buying an BRZ. You have to drive with more consideration in the winter, even if you have a 4x4 (hence why you see so many over-confident SUVs in the ditches). I occasionally drive my dad's truck (RWD) on all-season tires in the winter, and even that thing is pretty reasonable. It kicks a bit, but it's actually pretty fun.

Also, drove a RWD car across the continent on summer performance tires in December last year. I wouldn't recommend it, but it was doable.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:31 AM

So, who else's car got fucked by that hail?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:47 AM

Ugh, we'll find out in the morning. The last two hail storms didn't do any damage, but that one seemed a bit worse.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Ugh, we'll find out in the morning. The last two hail storms didn't do any damage, but that one seemed a bit worse.
My old car managed to go over five years of being parked outside and didn't suffer any hail damage. I've had my GTI for just over a month now, and I counted 17 dents. Yaaaaaaaay...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation