HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 5:48 PM
Closed account

With the talk of Herald Square and the vibrancy of the 7th ave corridor going on recently, I thought I would share this map I found. It's a very detailed map of the 1st street/7th/8th ave area from 1911 (an insurance map) that shows all of the buildings and their uses (and construction in some cases)

Click here for a really hi-res version. Everything readable:
http://data2.archives.ca/e/e338/e008445298-v8.jpg

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 5:58 PM

Fire insurance maps are a treasure trove.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 6:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Shows how small Calgary's historic downtown was.. by 7th ave it's already starting to become residential. Also hows how much was going on on 9th ave then.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 6:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

by the way, that "provincial government building" in the middle of the 7th ave block was this:

source: glenbow.org

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

Nice map. I did some work in the Ashdown Hardware building (110 8th Ave) a couple years ago; too bad I can't read all the fine print. Looks like that building had a lot going on in 1913 (it was built in 1895, as far as I know).

"Underwriter's Fire Extgrs Thr'out, Oils kept in steel tanks in Bast., Gasoline in iron tanks in Yard, No Varnish kept in Bulk."

The former oil tank storage area in the basement is now the Bear & Kilt pub.

Can't make out the note at the top but it looks like it had a fire alarm even then. Not sure what the dots in the centre represent but I can make out 'Hose'. Anyway, it's all sprinklered now, has been for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
With the talk of Herald Square and the vibrancy of the 7th ave corridor going on recently, I thought I would share this map I found. It's a very detailed map of the 1st street/7th/8th ave area from 1911 (an insurance map) that shows all of the buildings and their uses (and construction in some cases)

Click here for a really hi-res version. Everything readable:
http://data2.archives.ca/e/e338/e008445298-v8.jpg

<<snip>>
I had a laugh seeing the railway sidings between 9th and 8th Ave, behind the former Palace Theatre.

How things change in 100 years.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 10:28 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
Nice map. I did some work in the Ashdown Hardware building (110 8th Ave) a couple years ago; too bad I can't read all the fine print. Looks like that building had a lot going on in 1913 (it was built in 1895, as far as I know).

"Underwriter's Fire Extgrs Thr'out, Oils kept in steel tanks in Bast., Gasoline in iron tanks in Yard, No Varnish kept in Bulk."

The former oil tank storage area in the basement is now the Bear & Kilt pub.

Can't make out the note at the top but it looks like it had a fire alarm even then. Not sure what the dots in the centre represent but I can make out 'Hose'. Anyway, it's all sprinklered now, has been for a long time.
Yeah it does say fire alarm, and those do say hose. I noticed a bunch of them also mention automatic sprinklers.

But the main thing is, notice the Turkish Baths in the basement of the Alberta block?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I had a laugh seeing the railway sidings between 9th and 8th Ave, behind the former Palace Theatre.

How things change in 100 years.
Made sense back then, since many of the businesses on 9th ave were hardware/warehouse/etc type industries.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Made sense back then, since many of the businesses on 9th ave were hardware/warehouse/etc type industries.
Is it just me or is there a suspicious number of piano shops in 1911 Calgary? Must have been the first boom industry before oil and gas came along.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 1:18 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Is it just me or is there a suspicious number of piano shops in 1911 Calgary? Must have been the first boom industry before oil and gas came along.
That might just be a sign of the times. When you don't have TV, Radio, or records, piano is one of the few sources of at-home entertainment you'd have.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
That might just be a sign of the times. When you don't have TV, Radio, or records, piano is one of the few sources of at-home entertainment you'd have.
in 1913, there was no TV or radio.

It was either sing-along with the piano or with the Victrola.

If you were rich, you could afford a player piano - but still had to supply the leg power to pump it, unless you were filthy-rich and had electricitry too.

I remember seeing in the basement an old Edison player & cylinders that a great- great- great- grandparent brought with them from Europe pre -1890.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 2:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Shows how small Calgary's historic downtown was.. by 7th ave it's already starting to become residential. Also hows how much was going on on 9th ave then.
I might as well post the east side of downtown while I'm at it. But yea, it was a city of 50,000, and the downtown wasn't more than a few blocks before the residential areas started.

Hi Res: http://data2.archives.ca/e/e338/e008445299-v8.jpg

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I might as well post the east side of downtown while I'm at it. But yea, it was a city of 50,000, and the downtown wasn't more than a few blocks before the residential areas started.

Hi Res: http://data2.archives.ca/e/e338/e008445299-v8.jpg

<<snip>>
Its surprising to see how many buildings were "Moving Picture Theatre" open or under construction.
Even then there were "new & trendy" businesses opening up to cater to people's entertainment needs.

The "concrete found'n" in the 100 block E 7th Ave (opposite the Legion Hall) was still there in the 90's until the Telus Convention Centre was built. When I was a kid, I asked my grand-dad asked why that parking lot was sloped, and he explained it was the remnants of a theatre and office tower that went bankrupt during construction.
I only realised today that it had been there -bankrupt and unfinished- since before he was born (1915).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Not sure if this should go here, but here goes:

Original 1967 map of the proposed Rapid Transit for Calgary:

Including a largely-Centre Street line, a SW line that ran up 14th street and 26th avenue to Glenbrook, and a totally new alignment for the south. Also, a subway or elevated downtown section. (Only the NW line is mostly the same, but even the stations are different.)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:13 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Interesting that for the central line is seems to follow a path one block east of the main strips (Edm trail and centre) which avoids needing to expropriate businesses, just a strip of houses. I suppose that's similar to the Bloor street subway in Toronto where the stations are all only one or two lots a half block north of the strip.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Interesting that for the central line is seems to follow a path one block east of the main strips (Edm trail and centre) which avoids needing to expropriate businesses, just a strip of houses. I suppose that's similar to the Bloor street subway in Toronto where the stations are all only one or two lots a half block north of the strip.
That's just a function of a not-too-detailed map. The other maps in the study show it running along Centre street itself. (Of course it's not a detailed functional plan, so it shows the line directly on top of Centre street, not on one side or another)

EDIT:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 5:58 AM
IMHO

Calgary Aerial 1973

Here's something to pore over on a Sunday: a Calgary aerial photo mashed up from some City of Calgary index aerial photos available on archives Alberta. I have loaded a reduced resolution version of the original. If there is interest, I will upload the original KLM file I did in Google, which is fascinating to compare what was there before and what is there now. Both this map and the KLM are not perfect matches due to 3D. I've matched as best I can with a little stretching and rotation, in Google Earth.

Interesting things to find: - Deerfoot end - New Grandstand under construction - NB Edmonton trail bridge under construction - Old runways still visible where MRU is now -Acreages in the NE, soon to be bulldozed - Lynwood Ridge tanks that were going to be a problem for the houses to be built near them - Barlow SE ends before 61st Ave - All the housing north of 50th Ave, south of Peigan, east of the Bow River, still a few holdouts in this now industrial area - Drive in movie theatres, all gone now - huge gravel mines over what is now Riverbend - Racetrack in Braeside - An airport that Deerfoot now runs over - Edmonton trail freshly cutoff by Deerfoot

and as they say, many, many more!

Calgary Aerial 1973 by ferreth, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 4:11 PM
National Capital Region

Was John Laurie Blvd supposed to continue northeast past McKnight via Trafford and Thorneycroft (northwest side) to 4th St?

One gets the impression that when that photo was taken the first steps towards undoing that plan (if that was the plan) had been taken by building houses along Thorneycroft between Tipton and Tavender.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 4:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Here's something to pore over on a Sunday: a Calgary aerial photo mashed up from some City of Calgary index aerial photos available on archives Alberta. I have loaded a reduced resolution version of the original. If there is interest, I will upload the original KLM file I did in Google, which is fascinating to compare what was there before and what is there now. Both this map and the KLM are not perfect matches due to 3D. I've matched as best I can with a little stretching and rotation, in Google Earth.

Interesting things to find: - Deerfoot end - New Grandstand under construction - NB Edmonton trail bridge under construction - Old runways still visible where MRU is now -Acreages in the NE, soon to be bulldozed - Lynwood Ridge tanks that were going to be a problem for the houses to be built near them - Barlow SE ends before 61st Ave - All the housing north of 50th Ave, south of Peigan, east of the Bow River, still a few holdouts in this now industrial area - Drive in movie theatres, all gone now - huge gravel mines over what is now Riverbend - Racetrack in Braeside - An airport that Deerfoot now runs over - Edmonton trail freshly cutoff by Deerfoot

and as they say, many, many more!
This is amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

I have been trying to locate photographs of the Weaselhead area in the years from 1960-1980, and I notice it isn't on here. Can you point me to where you found the originals?

Last edited by 5seconds; Nov 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 5:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Was John Laurie Blvd supposed to continue northeast past McKnight via Trafford and Thorneycroft (northwest side) to 4th St?

One gets the impression that when that photo was taken the first steps towards undoing that plan (if that was the plan) had been taken by building houses along Thorneycroft between Tipton and Tavender.
Yes. In 1959, the plan showed John Laurie Blvd (or the 'North Bypass') as connecting with 4th and McKnight. By the 1967, the long range plans had JLB as continuing north from where it ends at McKnight, but instead of connecting to 4th, it continued north on what is now 14th street past the park. (The right-of-way is still there as Egerts Park).

In 1967, 14th street was intended at that point to actually veer north-west directly through what is now the Nose Hill Park, and continue north kind of where Shaganappi is now, though in 1959 it terminated at JLB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos