HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Thanks! The sign I was referring to is at https://goo.gl/maps/HpUdCuF9zEx.
Yep. Other signs in the area you can tell were repainted to remove the 1A shield (for instance https://goo.gl/maps/RJM2KXKaATq) so I'd guess that one simply was overlooked.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:07 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Highway 22 from Highway 8 to Longview

Another driving video from me. Driving on Alberta Highway 22 (The Cowboy Trail) from the roundabout at Highway 8 through Redwood Meadows, Bragg Creek, Priddis, Turner Valley, Black Diamond and finally to Longview.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 10:17 PM

Cochrane Interchange (Hwy 1A/22)

Alberta Transportation announced some major improvements in Cochrane:

Quote:
Cochrane Interchange

Budget 2017 includes funding to begin the process for building an interchange at Highway 1A and Highway 22 in the Town of Cochrane...

Project Details

The project is estimated to cost between $40 to 50 million. It will include:
  • Twinning of Highway 1A under a twinned Highway 22 structure;
  • Construction of a twinned Highway 22 bridge structure over the CPR mainline;
  • Ramps to access both Highway 1A and 22; and,
  • Highway 1A bridges over Big Hill Creek.

Project Timelines

Selection of an engineering consultant will begin in 2017. Once design and engineering are complete construction could begin as early as Fall 2019, and is expected to take about two years to complete construction. Once the design process is complete, a more detailed project timeline will be available.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/6056.htm

Admittedly I don't live in Cochrane, but I'm a little surprised about an interchange. I know the intersection needs upgrades, but I thought twinning and dual turn lanes would be enough. The topography would be similar to the John Laurie Blvd & Shaganappi Trail intersection. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Alberta Transportation announced some major improvements in Cochrane:

Admittedly I don't live in Cochrane, but I'm a little surprised about an interchange. I know the intersection needs upgrades, but I thought twinning and dual turn lanes would be enough. The topography would be similar to the John Laurie Blvd & Shaganappi Trail intersection. Any thoughts?
I don't live in Cochran, but I'm through the intersection a few times per year.

I am glad that AB Transportation is going straight to interchange rather than the natural progression. The progression from minor intersection to major dual turn intersection only makes sense when there is a major developer that can have road improvement levies assessed against the development (essentially developer pays for 1/2 the intersection improvements). In this instance the SE and SW corners are developed and the NE corner cannot be developed due to the escarpment. The NW corner could not take the entirety of road improvement levies and remain commercially viable compared to other locations.

The other nice opportunity for highway 1A is the closure of a lot of the intersections to downtown. Only Centre Ave and 4th Ave need to be intersections. the rest (2nd, 3rd, 4th) can be closed off to improve traffic flow. This will have a further consequence of making 1st and 2nd streets much more pedestrian friendly.

I also commend Ab transportation for their insistence on going directly to interchanges. This is a intersection of two major provincial highways and therefore interchange is warranted.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 9:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Way overdue and badly needed, it's a shame it will be at least another 5 years before anyone can drive it. In the meantime they continue to add to their own problems, there are now other sets of lights along 22 going through Cochrane. Not sure why towns or the Province never seem to learn and keep doing this.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:02 AM

I grew up in Cochrane, and definitely its needed 10 years ago.

The constraints will make it interesting, reportedly from family that still lives there there are mixed feelings about it. The CP tracks can't be moved, which limits the design to some odd-ball designs. Some initial ideas floated (but not from the province) involve some massive loop ramp bridge structures and essentially lowering 1A below 22.

There also sounds to be a bit of a political issue as well from some people that the timing for this is a "vote NDP in '19 and we'll build it, as the conservatives will cancel it" project.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:05 AM

Anyone know what's going on on highway 2 north of Airdrie up to the highway 72 interchange? It sure looks like they are widening it, but I don't see that documented anywhere and it would seem a little pointless to just do that short section.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Anyone know what's going on on highway 2 north of Airdrie up to the highway 72 interchange? It sure looks like they are widening it, but I don't see that documented anywhere and it would seem a little pointless to just do that short section.
It's best they do what they can when they have funds. They are expanding the highway to six lanes from Airdrie to Crossfield and they're upgrading the interchange to a diamond. See Slide 3 of https://arhca.ab.ca/sites/default/fi...ortation_0.pdf.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Here's a map of all highway construction projects:
https://www.transportation.alberta.c...rogram_Map.pdf

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:26 AM

Nice thanks, it does link up with the three lane section north of the service area at least. Surely a diamond is a downgrade from a parclo though?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Nice thanks, it does link up with the three lane section north of the service area at least. Surely a diamond is a downgrade from a parclo though?
I'm not sure what they mean by "upgraded" and the diamond info is from info that is a few years old but I doubt they changed plans on the fly. Does the area you saw tie into Highway 2A as well?

If you look at all of the slides in that in presentation they are definitely looking at the entire corridor and from what I've heard in the past AB Transportation definitely wants to add lanes everywhere. While they're at it they should close down all of the uncontrolled accessed points and upgrade interchanges where needed. Maybe build a few new ones as well.

Upgrading the interchange at Balzac can't come soon enough. I went to the mall about a week ago at a very off hour and the traffic was crazy. Hate to imagine what it's like on weekends during the day. There's also some huge building being constructed there but it doesn't look part of the mall. What is that? It was quite tall and rather uniquely shaped.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Look at p. 3 of the file or p. 1 based on document numbering. About half way down you'll see mention of this project. It says the interchange upgrade is to enhance public safety and road widening to six lanes is to relieve congestion.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ionProgram.pdf

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:45 AM

The large construction project just south of CrossIron Mall is the New Horizon Mall, an Asian style mall. Plans call for a grocery store (I bet it will be a T&T) and hotel to be added in the future.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I'm not sure what they mean by "upgraded" and the diamond info is from info that is a few years old but I doubt they changed plans on the fly. Does the area you saw tie into Highway 2A as well?

If you look at all of the slides in that in presentation they are definitely looking at the entire corridor and from what I've heard in the past AB Transportation definitely wants to add lanes everywhere. While they're at it they should close down all of the uncontrolled accessed points and upgrade interchanges where needed. Maybe build a few new ones as well.

Upgrading the interchange at Balzac can't come soon enough. I went to the mall about a week ago at a very off hour and the traffic was crazy. Hate to imagine what it's like on weekends during the day. There's also some huge building being constructed there but it doesn't look part of the mall. What is that? It was quite tall and rather uniquely shaped.
I agree with closing the access points. AB roads are slowly 'getting' what a freeway should be, but they're not there yet. To be fair, they do have a hell of a lot of roads to manage and prioritise upgrades. My biggest desire is for them to properly bypass all the towns on both highway 43 and highway 1, getting rid of all the signals and speed limit reductions. They're finally bypassing Grande Prairie, which is a godsend, but for some reason have decided to put a roundabout in there. I love roundabouts, but that location is definitely not the place for one.

I've only seen what's on highway 2. Last time I saw it looked like they were widening/moving the loop ramps, maybe the 'diamond' upgrade is inaccurate?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
I agree with closing the access points. AB roads are slowly 'getting' what a freeway should be, but they're not there yet.

I've only seen what's on highway 2. Last time I saw it looked like they were widening/moving the loop ramps, maybe the 'diamond' upgrade is inaccurate?
It very well could be inaccurate. I'm just going by what the documentation says. It would be nice if detailed project info was available. If it is it's not easy to find!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:57 AM

I'm wondering if the Hwy 72 interchange is being converted to a diamond to make room for the 3rd lane in each direction? Otherwise it might be a tight squeeze that would require a new overpass. IIRC, the acceleration ramp from Hwy 72 west --> Hwy 2 south (and probably EB to NB as well) was pretty short. My guess is it will look like the the Hwy 12 interchange near Lacombe (https://goo.gl/maps/1955Y296RNM2; previously a cloverleaf) when its done.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I agree with closing the access points. AB roads are slowly 'getting' what a freeway should be, but they're not there yet. To be fair, they do have a hell of a lot of roads to manage and prioritise upgrades. My biggest desire is for them to properly bypass all the towns on both highway 43 and highway 1, getting rid of all the signals and speed limit reductions. They're finally bypassing Grande Prairie, which is a godsend, but for some reason have decided to put a roundabout in there. I love roundabouts, but that location is definitely not the place for one.

They recognized this several years ago IIRC and have since mandated that there will be no new access roads onto divided highways without an interchange but have grandfathered existing ones. But over time they will go away as the road system evolves but it will be a slow process. I would be happy if they at least closed the at grade intersections to movements across the highway and made them right in/right out as a start.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:57 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
They recognized this several years ago IIRC and have since mandated that there will be no new access roads onto divided highways without an interchange but have grandfathered existing ones. But over time they will go away as the road system evolves but it will be a slow process. I would be happy if they at least closed the at grade intersections to movements across the highway and made them right in/right out as a start.
This. There are a couple of crossings between Red Deer and Olds that are downright dangerous.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:34 AM

Hwys. 2, 2A and 72 (upgrade diamond interchange). Seems to be par for the course for AB Transportation. They don't want the tight radius loops that full/partial cloverleafs have. Diamonds are just all around safer, dare I say, calmer? I'd be surprised if they are keeping any form of a cloverleaf there.

The widening of QEII between Airdrie and Crossfield is 13km of 6 laning. Description: The work will involve widening the Queen Elizabeth II Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway, including upgrading the existing Highway 72 interchange to accommodate the widening.

Not that it tells you much, just the project boundaries, but here is the site plan:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ite%20plan.pdf

The real thing to note for this project is QEII will be a minimum of 6 lanes from Calgary all the way to just north of Township Road 294. A real good start to the eventual 6 laning of QEII in its entirety.

Now I haven't been down there for a while, but this project is actually underway? I hadn't seen it contracted for 2017 construction...

Regarding the access points along QEII, yes lubicon is correct. It was recognized years ago that any new intersections would be grade separated and the existing at grade intersections will be phased out over time. I thought I heard something of a 20 year timeline to do this and get QEII up to a 'true freeway status' - that's AB Trans goal anyway.

I love talking all things road construction for QEII and other area highways. I have so many in progress and future projects all wrapped up in my head. I personally can't wait for the new Gaetz/QEII interchange to complete next year. It's been on my wish list for the better part of a decade.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Hwys. 2, 2A and 72 (upgrade diamond interchange). Seems to be par for the course for AB Transportation. They don't want the tight radius loops that full/partial cloverleafs have. Diamonds are just all around safer, dare I say, calmer? I'd be surprised if they are keeping any form of a cloverleaf there.

The widening of QEII between Airdrie and Crossfield is 13km of 6 laning. Description: The work will involve widening the Queen Elizabeth II Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway, including upgrading the existing Highway 72 interchange to accommodate the widening.

Not that it tells you much, just the project boundaries, but here is the site plan:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ite%20plan.pdf

The real thing to note for this project is QEII will be a minimum of 6 lanes from Calgary all the way to just north of Township Road 294. A real good start to the eventual 6 laning of QEII in its entirety.

Now I haven't been down there for a while, but this project is actually underway? I hadn't seen it contracted for 2017 construction...

Regarding the access points along QEII, yes lubicon is correct. It was recognized years ago that any new intersections would be grade separated and the existing at grade intersections will be phased out over time. I thought I heard something of a 20 year timeline to do this and get QEII up to a 'true freeway status' - that's AB Trans goal anyway.

I love talking all things road construction for QEII and other area highways. I have so many in progress and future projects all wrapped up in my head. I personally can't wait for the new Gaetz/QEII interchange to complete next year. It's been on my wish list for the better part of a decade.

Northbound construction has indeed already begun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure