HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
Personally I find the mere mention of "World Class city" nauseating. You know what all "World Class cities" have in common? THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING "WORLD CLASS", THEY JUST ARE.
I was only using the term "World Class" because the city often uses it when talking about their aspirations, which I feel are affected by these rules. While cities like London and New York may not use the term when making decisions, they are most certainly paying a lot of attention at what is going on in cities like Paris and Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I think its too bad they closed down, but I'd hardly say this is make or break for us as a city to join the "worldly" ranks. It's not the city's decision to revoke their license, its the province. Can hardly blame Calgary for this one.
Of course. While I'm saddened at the closing of the Warehouse, they did break the rules and have to suffer the consequences. I was justing using this situation as a platform to discuss the usefulness of some of the ACLG's regulations, which I believe the city should question and put pressure on the Province to modify.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 12:09 AM

This is the fine line you walk when you beg for government intervention all the time to ban stuff, make rules, etc. I think people can make good calls for themselves generally when it comes to closing time, and make it home alive.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 9:46 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Funny that this thread was started by Riise a while back when Armin was in town. Didn't make it out to Armin at the BMO centre but once again this was an EPIC show on all accounts. Any time that you can get a world renowned DJ through town and sell 5000+ tickets it's pretty impressive. In many ways parties like this certainly legitimize the EDM scene in Calgary. I remember back in the day when I first got into EDM shows with 2000 people were impressive and few and far between.

Well done to the promotors who put on these shows.

Here are some highlights of Saturday's show. Credit to TEASEhousemuzik

Video Link

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 11:06 PM

I was at Armin and it was ok, nothing spectacular. I feel like the sets he plays here are much different from his podcasts, or what he plays in clubs in Europe.

As of the 2am last call - I do think it's a little absurd. I don't know what the point of it is.... BMO as a venue was quite interesting; it had a warehouse feel but it was pretty empty tbh; and the drink selection was atrocious.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 4:59 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
I was at Armin and it was ok, nothing spectacular. I feel like the sets he plays here are much different from his podcasts, or what he plays in clubs in Europe.

As of the 2am last call - I do think it's a little absurd. I don't know what the point of it is.... BMO as a venue was quite interesting; it had a warehouse feel but it was pretty empty tbh; and the drink selection was atrocious.
It's actually a pretty common comment with regards DJing and track selection when it comes to shows in Canada and North America for that matter. There is a perception that audiences here are not knowledgeable of the latest music. Thus, a lot of DJs throw out a standard set of hit/mainstream tracks that keep the crowd happy and jumping. I have been to many shows where I hear people bitching that DJs didn't play certain tracks. I am all about underground sets that feature new tracks that I am not familiar with.

As for BMO, I cold see it being a cool location but big as you point out. TGhe drink selection is all thanks to the good folks at the Stampede. It's like that for all shows there. I would much prefer shows like Tiesto and Armin being in the Corral. Pack the floor with dancers and allow the seating to be a place to just chill and watch the show. It's really the best of both worlds.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:33 PM

I'm a big fan of electronica and Tiesto and Armin don't spin anything remotely close to their Magikal Journey or ASOT stuff. It's just hard trance which is fun to dance to but boring to listen to.

ATB was amazing when he came.

I think Flames Central has consistently been a decent venue. I am going to Oakenfold at the Bank so it should be interesting. Out of all the clubs in Calgary, I woudl say The Bank and Republik are consistently good. Sociale is decent too if you can get past the pretentiousness (it's like a better version of West).

It seems this is the year music festivals are really picking up (Coachella, Lollapalooza, Shambala, Osheaga). It would be awesome if Calgary could manage an annual medium sized music festival every year; or have it as a real addition to the Stampede. The current music acts at the Stampede are a good bonus but it should be expanded.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:55 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
I'm a big fan of electronica and Tiesto and Armin don't spin anything remotely close to their Magikal Journey or ASOT stuff. It's just hard trance which is fun to dance to but boring to listen to.

ATB was amazing when he came.

I think Flames Central has consistently been a decent venue. I am going to Oakenfold at the Bank so it should be interesting. Out of all the clubs in Calgary, I woudl say The Bank and Republik are consistently good. Sociale is decent too if you can get past the pretentiousness (it's like a better version of West).

It seems this is the year music festivals are really picking up (Coachella, Lollapalooza, Shambala, Osheaga). It would be awesome if Calgary could manage an annual medium sized music festival every year; or have it as a real addition to the Stampede. The current music acts at the Stampede are a good bonus but it should be expanded.
I think X-Fest is going to be the closest thing to a decent festival this year. Jane's addiction, Weezer, Rural Alberta Advantage....why not!

It would be cool if Calgary could host some sort of Electronic Music festival

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Obviously nothing this epic. But the promotors in the city certainly have enough clout to bring in some serious star power. It would just require some cooperation and sponsorship. But I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility.

I have a friend going to the Electric Daisy Carnival. I believe Skrillex is headlining. Should be quite the show!
Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:55 PM

Would be great to have a music fest to that capacity here. Sled island is pretty close to what you guys are talking about but it would be cool if they had an electronic component in addition to it.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 3:39 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I think X-Fest is going to be the closest thing to a decent festival this year. Jane's addiction, Weezer, Rural Alberta Advantage....why not!

It would be cool if Calgary could host some sort of Electronic Music festival
If?

There should've been more food, and it would've been awesome if the LRT was running that weekend. (I had to walk from near the Salvation Army after ten hours of flagging. Fun.)

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 9:26 PM
Here and There

Some friday dance tunes from last week. (Click listen now) You need real player and it is worth it. BBC London Pete Tong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ww0v

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 1:15 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Obviously nothing this epic. But the promotors in the city certainly have enough clout to bring in some serious star power. It would just require some cooperation and sponsorship. But I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility.
I firmly believe that Calgary could host a mid-sized Sensation-type of indoor event, especially if it was timed to coincide with the Stampede. Although I'm not sure it could handle a full-size Sensation, with South America hosting the only two on this side of the Atlantic we might be able to handle an actual Sensation. That would be massive!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 7:53 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
If?

There should've been more food, and it would've been awesome if the LRT was running that weekend. (I had to walk from near the Salvation Army after ten hours of flagging. Fun.)
I guess I should have been more specific. I have less interest in seeing local DJs that I can check out weekly at our city's clubs. That is not to say that i don't support our local DJ scene. I would prefer a festival that brought in some big names. I think that shows like Tiesto and Armin show that there is definitely the interest.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 8:29 PM

I went to RadioPark on the weekend, actually wasn't too impressed with it. Got there around 11 with about 10 others, we were like the only ones in there until 11:30. Music was decent, drinks were overpriced and watered down it seemed, and a lot of creepy people in there (not that it was completely unexpected, but the couple 35-45 year old guys trying to grab the 18-20 year old girls was a bit too much for them). By the time we left around 1:40 it was a lot busier, but I can't see going back any time soon.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 5:48 PM

I went to the Blind Monk pub on 12th ave to watch the Canucks game (cheering the Bruin on of course) and was really surprised how nice the place is. It's just a pub, so it's not fancy or anything, but it is a good place and the people who own it have a sense of humour. If you're looking for somewhere to go to have a few pints or some grub, I recommend checking it out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 1:21 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I remember when the Blind Monk was on 4th street. I knew one of the owners as he was taking flying lessons at that time, I wonder if he is still an owner? I remember it being a pretty decent place back then.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I remember when the Blind Monk was on 4th street. I knew one of the owners as he was taking flying lessons at that time, I wonder if he is still an owner? I remember it being a pretty decent place back then.
Where on 4th was it?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Where on 4th was it?
Used to be located where the urban barn is now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
he is a client of mine. he still owns the blind monk in both locations.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:00 PM

Well I can say that I'll definitely be frequenting that bar, especially since it's only 1 block from my place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation