HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Curious............ I know Stephen Ave is the main downtown shopping/pedestrian street downtown and 17th in the Beltline but what street is it that connects the two?

I don't mean driving or even necessarily the most direct but in terms of pedestrian activity. If you are done walking downtown and want to enjoy the urban experience on your way to 17th, which street would you take? Is it 4th?

Also is the street that you would take very pedestrian friendly with cafes and nice streetscape or is it really just the better choice of a bunch of lousy ones?
There really isn't a single answer, or I'd hazzard in some peoples view (including mine) any answer to that. Most of the activity on Stephen Ave is between 1st SE and about 4th SW IMO, and most of the activity on 17th Ave is between 2nd SW and 14th SW. Neither 1st Street or 4th Street is really continuously active the entire way, 1st kind of dies around 13th ave and 4th is pretty boring especially if we are talking Friday night wanting to experience the nightlife. Most people do use 4th though in my experience, or cut across 12th avenue from 1st through/along Central Memorial Park.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 4:30 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Curious............ I know Stephen Ave is the main downtown shopping/pedestrian street downtown and 17th in the Beltline but what street is it that connects the two?

I don't mean driving or even necessarily the most direct but in terms of pedestrian activity. If you are done walking downtown and want to enjoy the urban experience on your way to 17th, which street would you take? Is it 4th?

Also is the street that you would take very pedestrian friendly with cafes and nice streetscape or is it really just the better choice of a bunch of lousy ones?
Your options are 1st SE, 1st SW, 4th, 5th, 8th and 11th way at the western end of 8th Ave SW (no longer Stephen Ave per se). The first five all comprise underpasses under the train tracks; 11th is a grade crossing over the tracks. The tracks break up any effort at continuous activity so no option is perfect, but 1st SW has become a destination strip in its own right, and both 4th and 8th have some nice diversions- 4th is a very nice intersection with 10th/11th Aves eg with the new Rodney's Oyster House, and 8th St is full of potential- you go along our MEC, pass some excellent restaurants, pubs and coffeehouses that either front on 8th or sit alongside it: Mauro, Bumpy's, Posto, Bonterra, the most beautiful Good Earth in the city, Kawa Espresso Bar, Kanpai Sushi... then there's Safeway (and an unfortunate parking lot but still), London Drugs, and of course the huge under construction Mt Royal West complex.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:46 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahon View Post
Even though I'm no longer a pedestrian, I was pleased to see what looked like a sidewalk being laid down on the east side of Macleod at Southland at the weekend. It's about time. It's only been about 100 years coming.
So, you live in your car or don't leave your house?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure