HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:43 PM

the landlord is closing off most of the IBM surface parking lot in order to install underground utilities for future development. Starting tomorrow until mid-july. I guess this answers part of my question.

Last edited by murfnut; May 9, 2019 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfnut View Post
Once DT III and Bowen break ground and then DT II, IBM employees will be forced entirely into the parking garage that already has the best sections reserved for Indeed.
Domain Tower and its parking garage are for sale. I assume there is a shared parking agreement with IBM since Stonelake recaptured a lot of IBM 45's parking to build Domain Tower and it's giant garage, so you should still be able to park there even after it sells.

https://www.hfflp.com/property-details.html?propId=8463

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 3:56 PM
クラブトクヨ

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:56 PM

did u all see this ? Its the final Plat for the South Side of the Domain. Looks like it was closed on Apr 23rd this year.

For the circulation page, here is what I am seeing:

Lot 1: Flatiron Apartments
Lot 2: Current IBM, future development
Lot 3: Wells Fargo
Lot 4: Parking Garage
Lot 5: Domain Tower I (Indeed)
Lot 6: Domain Tower II (break ground end of year or early next year)
Lot 7: Domain Tower III (break ground end of year)
Lot 8: Bowen Residential Tower (break ground end of year)
Lot 9: Flatiron Office (under construction)
Lot 10: Domain Tower IV (start ???)

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5371391

The parkland (1 acre) will be part of Lot 2(existing IBM) comment in there about demolition

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:07 PM

question for the experts

The Bowen is residential and requires parkland dedication. They chose to provide 1 acre from Lot2 where the existing IBM building is.

Since they chose this over cash in lieu, there must be some timeframe required from the time the residential is built until the parkland is available. Any idea what that might be ? That might give us an idea on how long until 045 is gone.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:54 PM

For those who aren't in the area frequently, there is visible construction activity on the Element Hotel fronting Burnet Rd now. Concrete supports, etc.

Full speed ahead on several other Domain-adjacent projects too. It's hard to snap pics while driving.

I hope they give that pond some attention. They could make it a nice pocket park with a mini trail and a few benches or something scattered about. It's too visible to just leave it as a storm drain runoff only. Drop a fountain bubbler-circulator in there and pretty up the area around it, Stonelake!

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:31 AM

I think my future home will be at The Domain. I will probably move here by the end of the year or early next year due to my current job contract.

I'm going to go back to Jan 2018 posts to get up to speed on the development around this area! So far, everything looks exciting. It's funny, some of your guys post already mention it's not a true downtown unless there's a 300' building, but in San Jose where I'm from, we don't even have a 300' building haha.

I hope to help contribute to this wonderful community when I move!

Last edited by gillynova; May 11, 2019 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I think my future home will be at The Domain. I will probably move here by the end of the year or early next year due to my current job contract.

I'm going to go back to Jan 2018 posts to get up to speed on the development around this area! So far, everything looks exciting. It's funny, some of your guys post already mention it's not a true downtown unless there's a 300' building, but in San Jose where I'm from, we don't even have a 300' building haha.

I hope to help contribute to this wonderful community when I move!
Let us know when you get here. You seem like you will fit right in

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 6:36 PM

This is pretty exciting. It's a long time coming. Probably got resistance from the existing restaurant tenants.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...in-the-domain/

Quote:
Food trailer park pilot program to launch in The Domain

Weekend shoppers at The Domain will soon have a larger variety of food truck options to choose from.

A pilot program launching with a May 31 event will bring at least seven food trucks to Macy’s parking lot in The Domain, according to Program Operator David Poku.

Poku said he and Glenn Williams, owner of Northwest Austin restaurant The Rolling Rooster, were approached by Simon Property’s management to run the food truck pilot program.

“We figured it only made sense,” Poku told Community Impact Newspaper. “As popular as [The Domain] is, it should … have food trucks as well.”

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 9:12 PM

Drone Footage from 2-3 weeks ago that I found on YouTube. Might be interesting for you guys too

Video Link

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:59 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This is pretty exciting. It's a long time coming. Probably got resistance from the existing restaurant tenants.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...in-the-domain/
That's really awesome, and gives people a reason to go to the 'dead' part of the Domain. Not that there is nothing going on over there, but the Macy's and South part of the old Domain is definitely less traveled.

The area with the park and the really expensive movie theater is a ghost town most of the time I'm there.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
That's really awesome, and gives people a reason to go to the 'dead' part of the Domain. Not that there is nothing going on over there, but the Macy's and South part of the old Domain is definitely less traveled.

The area with the park and the really expensive movie theater is a ghost town most of the time I'm there.
It's got a really odd feel to it. Kind of like a dying mall in its early stages (or one that failed to launch?).
They seem to be really struggling to find quality tenants in the Dillards-Dicks corridor.

Last edited by zrx299; May 12, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Drone Footage from 2-3 weeks ago that I found on YouTube. Might be interesting for you guys too

Video Link
That is an excellent video. I thought your username sounded familiar - I have watched some of your Youtube videos. You're not favoring the Domain because it resembles San Jose from the air are you?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That is an excellent video. I thought your username sounded familiar - I have watched some of your Youtube videos. You're not favoring the Domain because it resembles San Jose from the air are you?
Haha, no. I'm mainly looking for a place in Austin where I can walk my dog, is relatively modern and has a close proximity to restaurants/bars. Also, being around construction and seeing it grow every passing day is a huge plus for me. This area even has a new MLS stadium close by and that would be a nice amenity to have if I moved to the Domain. I was thinking of somewhere near downtown Austin but it's relatively expensive for me.

I'm mainly looking for a city with it's downtown next to water and having a boom in construction. Other cities I was thinking of moving to were Portland and San Diego but Austin has seriously caught my eye with everything that it has going for it, especially since I'm in the tech field.

Oh, and I'm really huge into music so I would definitely check out SXSW and ACL when I'm in Austin. I was in Dallas last month for work and I visited Deep Ellum and I'm sure 6th street in Austin is similar, and probably better than that. I don't have that here in San Jose and I would have to drive close to an hour to San Francisco/Oakland to experience that.

If you guys have any pointers for me, please PM me! I would be moving by myself anyways so getting to know people around Austin already would be a plus haha. I would consider myself a major contributor of photos/videos in the Bay Area projects/construction threads on these forums.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:24 AM

Yep, great video... and a great showcase for Domain-density. Lots of great shots with both Domain and not-Domain in it. You get a good sense of what they’ve accomplished, which is a lot.

I’m ready for Broadmoor to get started, just saying.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I’m ready for Broadmoor to get started, just saying.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw this. Those 360' towers will be close to 400' with mechanical. But I'm a little worried about the lack of news from Brandywine since they got the zoning change.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 1:23 AM

Element Hotel on the southeast end in progress...

Here's a crude 5 minute photoshop of the new Round Rock Element, with two extra floors since the Domain Element is supposed to be 6 floors. I haven't seen any actual renders for this one, but I think it's safe to assume it will be similar to this one in RR.

And the blueprints from 2017, with its own parking garage.

I really hope they give that retention pond area some love and turn it into a small park of some sort.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:27 AM

I wish they would just change the iPic theater to an Alamo Drafthouse or even Moviehouse & Eatery. iPic is just ridiculously-priced. It's cool to try once but it's prohibitively expensive. And the food isn't that great. I got these mini-burgers when I went there and they were soggy and gross.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I saw this. Those 360' towers will be close to 400' with mechanical. But I'm a little worried about the lack of news from Brandywine since they got the zoning change.

Great minds think alike. That was the shot that got me thinking about Broadmoor, too.

Overall -- given the demand we're seeing for everything in this corridor -- I'm not worried that Broadmoor WON'T get developed (at least in the long run), but I'm definitely interested in Brandywine's strategy, which is what I think we're starting to see play out. How piecemeal will the development be? Will it be based on spec, or will they wait till they have specific commitments? I think what we're seeing unfold is the slow-roll, rather than the full-speed-ahead.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I wish they would just change the iPic theater to an Alamo Drafthouse or even Moviehouse & Eatery. iPic is just ridiculously-priced. It's cool to try once but it's prohibitively expensive. And the food isn't that great. I got these mini-burgers when I went there and they were soggy and gross.
I've been wishing that would turn into a Violet Crown! That would be a great local alternative to ADH and still fit in with the luxury element the Domain offers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin