HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:05 AM

IMHO, these Portman addtions to the Midtown skyline would fit perfectly next to the Dunwoody Marta station. I'll take the increased pedestrian experience any day, but this clusterf*ck of buildings is mediocre and uninspiring in an urban setting for a major city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
IMHO, these Portman addtions to the Midtown skyline would fit perfectly next to the Dunwoody Marta station. I'll take the increased pedestrian experience any day, but this clusterf*ck of buildings is mediocre and uninspiring in an urban setting for a major city.
Thr bottom third of each project dedicated to parking is what gets me. I have a feeling walking around here is found to feel cold, simply due to the mass of each development. The addition of new offices in midtown is great, but generally speaking there’s better ways to implement.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:29 PM

A view of Anthem from in front of Norfolk Southern.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrou...24086445436930

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
A view of Anthem from in front of Norfolk Southern.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrou...24086445436930
love a crane raising

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 12:01 PM

These may not be my favor buildings, but I'll be happy when the vacant Suntrust branch building is demolished and the property is fenced.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 2:37 PM

I walked by there yesterday, there's an orange sign in front of the brick SunTrust building that seems to indicate it's pending demolition

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyale View Post
I walked by there yesterday, there's an orange sign in front of the brick SunTrust building that seems to indicate it's pending demolition
GOOD,,,, to HELL with Suntrust....

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:24 PM

Such a silly ridiculous sentiment

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:05 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:34 AM

Gotta say...the parking podium exterior is looking better than I thought it would.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:21 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:49 AM

Portma's 3rd tower is slated to be on what appears to be a postage stamp sized lot. That lot appears very small to support a 23+ story building. I know it possible, I'm just saying the next tower will be skinny compared to Portma's bulky style.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Portma's 3rd tower is slated to be on what appears to be a postage stamp sized lot. That lot appears very small to support a 23+ story building. I know it possible, I'm just saying the next tower will be skinny compared to Portma's bulky style.
Funny you mention this. I have a close friend that works for Anthem in Buckhead and they just received an email update about the plans to move to Midtown. The next tower will break ground soon and is scheduled for completion in 2021:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 12:11 PM

They really couldn't just build one tower 600 feet tall? Isn't it more expensive for companies to build two towers rather than one? Only in Atlanta do you have this wierd decision making. Anywhere else and this company goes with 1 fairly tall skyscraper. This has got to be the weird zoning in Midtown.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 12:39 PM

One tower would be significantly more expensive than two. Also, the FAR limits height in midtown. This has been discussed over and over.

I believe that completes the buildout along West PTree from North to 10th with the 2 Cousins developments. It will be more dense than PTree, will it not?

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They really couldn't just build one tower 600 feet tall? Isn't it more expensive for companies to build two towers rather than one? Only in Atlanta do you have this wierd decision making. Anywhere else and this company goes with 1 fairly tall skyscraper. This has got to be the weird zoning in Midtown.
They could do that if they left a lot of the lot unused so they wouldn't exceed the far. I'd much rather have fully utilized lots than a bunch of wasted space with towers in the garden concept. Maybe FAR in Midtown needs to be reviewed again

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines. These Midtown regulations are a little peculiar.

I understand that the cost’s associated with building taller can be more, but If it’s cheaper to build two buildings on two separate city lots, then the land must be relatively cheap – comparatively speaking.

As far as these restrictive Midtown Zoning regulations are concerned, there seems to be a large number of buildings in various development stages that worked through these restrictions to propose taller buildings than these relatively “squatty” buildings that we keep seeing pop up all over Midtown.

We have 1105 W. Peachtree of course at 29…or is it-31 stories? Cousin’s Properties appears to be working through the regulations to construct a 30-story office building down the road at 7th & 8th Street. CA Ventures is proposing a 33-story & 27-story residential buildings. Trillist Company is working on a 46-story residential tower. How are these companies building taller buildings?

If the restrictions only apply to this part of Midtown (in the vicinity of Tech Square) it would seem prudent if the City or Midtown worked on reviewing these restrictions so that we don’t end up with a huge portion of Midtown having a condition of what we can loosely called of “height monotony” or just looking like an uninteresting swath of ordinary.

Yes… I know, it shouldn’t matter what a building’s height is as long as the street presence is pleasing, but we all know that we often judge a city by how interesting it’s skyline is from a distance – not only at street level. Of course you can always have a taller building and great street presence too!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
They could do that if they left a lot of the lot unused so they wouldn't exceed the far. I'd much rather have fully utilized lots than a bunch of wasted space with towers in the garden concept. Maybe FAR in Midtown needs to be reviewed again
They wouldn't have to leave part of the lot unused. They could build all of the office space in a single tower, say 40 stories, with the base of the building extending to street and have the exact same square footage. and that's assuming that the FAR is maxed out with this development.

Similar to something like this.

That being said, this is a Portman development where they chose to lease the space and it sounds like they made the decision to lease additional space at the second tower after the first one had started.

At any rate great news for Midtown. I was just thinking that Midtown won't have any apartment towers under construction for the first time in years (not counting the student tower) but office construction is booming.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

1105 takes the whole block and has 2 shorter towers covering portions of the lot and it still is only 29 stories. Trillist/Tívoli has bought air tights from other property owners to achieve a taller tower. Same is true for the other taller proposals right now.

Downtown is zoned for higher FAR values and that is where the tall towers will and should be going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta