HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:55 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Again, I have no idea if this ever gets built but a project of this scale taking 4 or more years to break ground is hardly unusual.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2014/11/5...-tower-place-1
This project is funded and ready to go by the end of the year. Both buildings will be built concurrently. 2022 is the finish date. https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/5/...sion-sovereign

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
This project is funded and ready to go by the end of the year. Both buildings will be built concurrently. 2022 is the finish date. https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/5/...sion-sovereign
The point is that ithis project has been around since 2014 (at least)
Edit: It was presented to the Buckhead DRC in October 2014.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Again, I have no idea if this ever gets built but a project of this scale taking 4 or more years to break ground is hardly unusual.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2014/11/5...-tower-place-1
Your comparison isn’t accurate. The 2nd tower at Sovereign was always planned as a future long term plan. Now, they have announced and anticipate ground breaking in under a year. It was announced when the first tower was developed that a 2nd phase was planned. In 2014, they said they were presenting but not ready to break ground at that time. They just wanted to be ready and have formal approvals in place to move fast when they announced construction.

Opus announced 5 years ago (AJC article and renders 2/2014) with plans to start construction By the end of that year. They can’t even get the first tower out of the ground and continue to change their product every 6 months it seems. First it had a hotel. Then, it was just condos and shortened. The third iteration was to redo the unit sizes to reflect market demand. Last time about 6 months ago, they added office space to ½ the building. They just keep changing and grasping at straws it seem to keep the building in the news. The office component might be enough to get it started, but even with that they seem to have no momentum at this point. We have already seen several condo towers attempting similar price points be cancelled in Buckhead, so this just doesn’t seem feasible this late in a development cycle with such trouble already.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:25 PM

Well, the Atlanta Symphony is back on with wanting a new hall. Move over Opus, Atlanta Symphony Center by Santiago Calatrava is back on!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:34 PM

Thought I heard they were planning a move to Cobb?
(just kidding guys)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Thought I heard they were planning a move to Cobb?
(just kidding guys)
Haha, I don't want to ready 20 responses to that in this thread over the next 3 days, with many being deleted by the moderator!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Your comparison isn’t accurate. The 2nd tower at Sovereign was always planned as a future long term plan. Now, they have announced and anticipate ground breaking in under a year. It was announced when the first tower was developed that a 2nd phase was planned. In 2014, they said they were presenting but not ready to break ground at that time. They just wanted to be ready and have formal approvals in place to move fast when they announced construction.

Opus announced 5 years ago (AJC article and renders 2/2014) with plans to start construction By the end of that year. They can’t even get the first tower out of the ground and continue to change their product every 6 months it seems. First it had a hotel. Then, it was just condos and shortened. The third iteration was to redo the unit sizes to reflect market demand. Last time about 6 months ago, they added office space to ½ the building. They just keep changing and grasping at straws it seem to keep the building in the news. The office component might be enough to get it started, but even with that they seem to have no momentum at this point. We have already seen several condo towers attempting similar price points be cancelled in Buckhead, so this just doesn’t seem feasible this late in a development cycle with such trouble already.
It's a completely accurate comparison. The first tower was completed in 2008 and no developer is ready to break ground at the DRC stage.

This specific plan was presented to the Buckhead DRC in October of 2014. Developers do not take this step with the expectation of some day down the road completing the project. If they could have started by now, they would have. The stuff about "announcing" is just semantics.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:47 AM

40% pre sold and very much alive?

Chris Bender posted this on Twitter

https://youtu.be/xxxh8lHTA3g

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:25 AM

I hope so

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post

Why shoukd we believe the banned Chris Bender who failed in his Amazon prediction?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Why shoukd we believe the banned Chris Bender who failed in his Amazon prediction?
Because the video, which is produced by Berkshire Hathaway - the agent for the project - says they have presold 40%. Watch the video. It’s at the end where they mention it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:

i bet this actually happens - they're playing the long game. been long enough, damnit

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Because the video, which is produced by Berkshire Hathaway - the agent for the project - says they have presold 40%. Watch the video. It’s at the end where they mention it.
Well I feel sorry for those depending on a move in date...since they started selling months ago. Pre sales means nothing without the product.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:

Wasn't he the one ranting about the developer not being legit?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:14 PM

Wow! Both the Sovereign and Opus towers will be fantastic additions to the city's skyline!

Keep 'em coming.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:49 PM

It'll obviously be built. The question is when.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:12 PM

It'll break ground this year.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

has there been anything new? It's been a couple of months since I walked by, but there was still nothing going on & no equipment.

I think in the end Dewberry buys it & sits on it until the next big development cycle after the next recession...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:33 PM

Last we heard was a May or June start date.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:17 PM
Just a dude

I've taken a sceptical stance on this, mostly because nothing has happened and keeps me from being disappointed.

I think this one is a "see it to believe it" scenario, but there's always hope!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta