HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:26 AM

just brutal. Bombers in free fall. Our D, now that everyone knows its weakness......ugh. Disappointed in O'Shea for not acknowledging it. 6-8 after a 5-1 start? Brutal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:11 PM

Well that was a disaster.. All around terrible game.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
just brutal. Bombers in free fall. Our D, now that everyone knows its weakness......ugh. Disappointed in O'Shea for not acknowledging it. 6-8 after a 5-1 start? Brutal.
Both lines are terrible. Drew Willy is outplaying his O-Line; a worse quarterback would not be putting together the sorts of pass plays he's able to manage and he's still the best QB on second down. The poor guy just has absolutely no time to get his reads off. Same goes for Grigsby. He's absolutely outplaying his hand given that nobody can clear space in the middle.

But what do you do? Nobody else is trading Canadian linemen and the Bombers don't have any serious Canadian trade chips anyway. Gonna be a long couple of years I feel...

I'm hoping they can draft and keep a couple of line prospects.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Both lines are terrible. Drew Willy is outplaying his O-Line; a worse quarterback would not be putting together the sorts of pass plays he's able to manage and he's still the best QB on second down. The poor guy just has absolutely no time to get his reads off. Same goes for Grigsby. He's absolutely outplaying his hand given that nobody can clear space in the middle.

But what do you do? Nobody else is trading Canadian linemen and the Bombers don't have any serious Canadian trade chips anyway. Gonna be a long couple of years I feel...

Well Doug Brown as well as myself agree with you.( Doug's opinion holds much more weight in this matter), it's a friggin mess.

Blue consistently awful at protecting QBs
By: Doug Brown
-freep

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:59 PM

Does every football team have such a problem with injuries?

It just seems like an endless list of guys injured for the Bombers. Right from the start of training camp. How do you put together a team when it's constant injuries to your starters.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Does every football team have such a problem with injuries?

It just seems like an endless list of guys injured for the Bombers. Right from the start of training camp. How do you put together a team when it's constant injuries to your starters.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't the BB have some of the best locker room, training and therapy digs in the league since IGF was completed? I'm sure TSN's Shultz mentioned so when visiting the stadium on completion.

Ahh, hasn't seemed to help their conditioning program much.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Yep, agreed. Our O line is really lacking in talent. With the D, I wonder how much of it is bad coaching. Some of the players we have on the D line you'd think would be really good with a better playbook.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:17 PM

Well,at least we can move on...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:40 PM

What a catastrophe. This team's trendline is extremely disturbing... with each passing week it's becoming more and more apparent that the 5-1 start was nothing more than a flukey aberration.

I mean, down 37-0 at the half... where do you even begin? I mean, I know it will take some time to undo the mistakes of Joe Mack, but holy smokes.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:32 PM

The whole team just gave up. I was talking to my friend on Friday and when was super optimistic about them making the playoffs. I had to almost slap him upside the head. Are you F-ing kidding me, they've just given up. Then they come out yesterday and completely shit the bed, proving how they've checked out. Not very promising for the future of this ball club..

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What a catastrophe. This team's trendline is extremely disturbing... with each passing week it's becoming more and more apparent that the 5-1 start was nothing more than a flukey aberration.

I mean, down 37-0 at the half... where do you even begin? I mean, I know it will take some time to undo the mistakes of Joe Mack, but holy smokes.
Both Odell Willis and Adarius Bowman were sent packing by the Bomber administration. Willis amounted to nothing with Tyson Pencer being cut at the end of training camp this year, and Bowman was straight-up released.

And this is really a microcosm of everything wrong with the Bombers. They have seemingly no ability at all to project talent, relying instead on short-term import fixes, and they simply don't know how to manage all-star talent. How many times have we seen star players clashing with the media and coaching staff and then ultimately run out of town?

I have no idea how this continues to persist.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Both Odell Willis and Adarius Bowman were sent packing by the Bomber administration. Willis amounted to nothing with Tyson Pencer being cut at the end of training camp this year, and Bowman was straight-up released.
Good point. Potential most oustanding defensive player and league-leading receiver, not good enough for the Bombers. Same with Mike Reilly... Joe Mack passed on him.

I think this is on the old regime. It really drives home the point as to how badly the team was mismanaged for the past few seasons. The bleeding has stopped but it's obviously going to take a while to clean this mess up.

Interestingly, the Bombers sold some seats to fans on their charter to Edmonton for this game. It must have been a real fun flight back last night!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Same with Mike Reilly... Joe Mack passed on him.
Reilly passed on Winnipeg! I can hardly blame him given the offensive line situation.

He was entertaining offers from Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Edmonton at the time and Edmonton was terrible. But if you're his agent, you know Edmonton has a good organization and will eventually get it together. What do you tell him about Winnipeg? That the organization is a mess, top to bottom, and that their quarterbacks tend to live shorter lives?

Poor Drew Willy. Honest to god, he would have been better served backing up in Saskatchewan than setting the record for contact with defensive players.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
this came back to my mind watching the first quarter yesterday

how was this franchise a juggernaut at one point in time? how does this much damage happen

blows my mind.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Poor Drew Willy.
Wee willy, the team play literally broke him.

That's 2 hand injuries and a shoulder with 3 games left to play.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:

how was this franchise a juggernaut at one point in time? .
I understand your positive oulook after the BB came up with an early winnining record, but juggernaut is not the word I would have used for them and their eventual plummet to the bottom.

Playing with emotion and above expectations is a more apt description - the talent on the team was still questionable.

Think about the PoMo affect with the Jets when they went on a tear after Noel was fired.

But reality eventually sunk in with the actual roster and changes still needed to be made. The jury is still out on the team this year with only 3 games played.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I understand your positive oulook after the BB came up with an early winnining record, but juggernaut is not the word I would have used for them and their eventual plummet to the bottom.

Playing with emotion and above expectations is a more apt description - the talent on the team was still questionable.

Think about the PoMo affect with the Jets when they went on a tear after Noel was fired.

But reality eventually sunk in with the actual roster and changes still needed to be made. The jury is still out on the team this year with only 3 games played.

I meant the franchise as a juggernaut aka the perennial grey cup contenders that were the bomber organizations of old, not this current season team.

At least we got a QB now I guess, but its still sucks how it feels like forever since the franchise was strong. I agree though, I definitely was essentially frothing at the mouth for a competitive team so the early 5-1 run got me.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
I meant the franchise as a juggernaut aka the perennial grey cup contenders that were the bomber organizations of old, not this current season team.

At least we got a QB now I guess, but its still sucks how it feels like forever since the franchise was strong. I agree though, I definitely was essentially frothing at the mouth for a competitive team so the early 5-1 run got me.

Fair enough in the context of the organization of old, many years ago.

I was just as excited as you quite honestly, with our early start. But the reality set in for both of us and hopefully we can look forward to the positives we have seen earlier this season.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
this came back to my mind watching the first quarter yesterday

how was this franchise a juggernaut at one point in time? how does this much damage happen

blows my mind.
Some point to the end of the 1996 season as the moment in which the team began to enter the "dark years" from which it has not emerged. When the Bombers were blown out by the Eskies in the semifinals that year the meddlesome BOD decided they had enough of curmudgeon Cal Murphy and thought it wise to bring in a young, inexperienced special teams coach on a Harley to lead the team. Hard to believe it's been 18 years since that happened and in that time the team has had a grand total of 5 seasons above .500.

I grew up with the Bomber teams of the 80s and early 90s. Never thought the good times would end....3 Grey Cups, 5 cup appearances and 13 divisional final appearances. Team had several most outstanding player winners and nominees during those years as well to go with wins for best O-lineman, best Canadian and best defensive player in the league. Being a fan of this team for the past 2 decades of ineptitude, allows me appreciate those years that much more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan