HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:58 PM

I agree that the potential of both Regina and Saskatoon should not be underestimated in what the market can support. A very good example of this in Saskatoon is the boutique hotel The James. It has had a fantastic response and is very much in the style of big city boutique hotels. Had the opportunity to stay there and speak to the sales rep and they have been blown away by the response with even very high demand for the 1600 sq ft penthouse! I am sure Regina could support a similar concept hotel!!!

http://www.thejameshotel.ca/

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...katchewan.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 PM

So what is the deal with this project? Has anyone gotten word from them about anything?

should this just be considered not happening?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-TanK- View Post
So what is the deal with this project? Has anyone gotten word from them about anything?

should this just be considered not happening?
Its a happening parking lot

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:30 AM
ARTchitecture

I've never seen a project so plagued by ineptitude... except for maybe Heritage Landing in Winnipeg.

I do hope that both projects go through though, as it looks like Heritage Landing is about to begin.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:34 PM
BANNED

Possible good news? Lots of activity onsite this morning with lanes blocked off on both Albert St and Vic.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Possible good news? Lots of activity onsite this morning with lanes blocked off on both Albert St and Vic.
Any of that activity by SaskPower or other electrical contractor trucks?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:43 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownRiderFan View Post
Any of that activity by SaskPower or other electrical contractor trucks?
Didn't see any Saskpower, But there were about 5 large utility/construction type vehicles parked inside the fencing with a panel of it removed, and when I went by the left turning lane of Vic (Southbound) was blocked off with them cutting into the asphalt. Not sure exactly what's going on (if it's for the electrical or not... but there is indeed activity).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Didn't see any Saskpower, But there were about 5 large utility/construction type vehicles parked inside the fencing with a panel of it removed, and when I went by the left turning lane of Vic (Southbound) was blocked off with them cutting into the asphalt. Not sure exactly what's going on (if it's for the electrical or not... but there is indeed activity).
Large vehicles with Hundseth written on the side. I'm not familiar with that company.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Large vehicles with Hundseth written on the side. I'm not familiar with that company.
Hundseth is indeed a powerline construction company.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 7:59 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

........... Why the fuck did it took Saskpower this long to finally work on this? XD

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 12:26 AM

Why the ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
........... Why the fuck did it took Saskpower this long to finally work on this? XD
Well hmm ahhhh sheesh geez.....its Sask power ? It doesn't really matter, there is no $$... so a parking lot with wiring it is !

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 3:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

takes logistical planng to move a cable thats live run a new one so u can take the old one out....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickintheWick View Post
Well hmm ahhhh sheesh geez.....its Sask power ? It doesn't really matter, there is no $$... so a parking lot with wiring it is !
geez you are the anti-Mian. Both homers on opposite sides of the spectrum. He would say its a sure thing when there are tumbleweeds on site and you would say it will never happen still even if it got to the 25th floor.

This company has been painfully slow when it comes to getting things done but

-they said they would tear down the Plains (done)
-they said they would clean up the site (done)
-they said due to changes in plans a major electrical box had to be rerouted (seem to be working on it)

I get that you have a little vendetta with the company but slagging them behind an anonymous name on an internet forum is not going to magically make or stop this project from happening. I personally still hope it does happen as it would be great for the city I live in. You don't have a dog in the fight as you aren't from here and I doubt you have ever even been here. Basically you are just here to stir crap up. If it happens, great. If not, I am sure the city will just force them to sell the land back and sell it to a different developer. Worst case scenario is that somebody else paid to get the Plains torn down.

Last edited by Baker58; Aug 25, 2012 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 2:23 PM

Baker58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker58 View Post

This company has been painfully slow when it comes to getting things done but

-they said they would tear down the Plains (done)
-they said they would clean up the site (done)
-they said due to changes in plans a major electrical box had to be rerouted (seem to be working on it)

I get that you have a little vendetta with the company but slagging them behind an anonymous name on an internet forum is not going to magically make or stop this project from happening. I personally still hope it does happen as it would be great for the city I live in. You don't have a dog in the fight as you aren't from here and I doubt you have ever even been here. Basically you are just here to stir crap up. If it happens, great. If not, I am sure the city will just force them to sell the land back and sell it to a different developer. Worst case scenario is that somebody else paid to get the Plains torn down.
That is why these forums are popular ! I should remind you Mr Baker that the current developer group had no interest in this project when the blog started 3 years ago..(Go to Page 1) There is no "stirring of crap"...I have advised the readers here that when there is no money, you can't build ! Even those from Regina are astute enough to understand that..(and yes I have been to your city on many occasions). Do your research to see the underlying existing financiers. They are the ones who control the destiny of this deal, should it not take off....the city can't force anything so I have no idea what you are referring to. In any case, I really hope you get your building ! but...well...nevermind...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 3:53 AM

A small bit of news on CTV this evening. Sounds like we finally may see some activity with the power cable work at least. I don't like the sound of "down payment" though, with this outfit. However, better than no news at all. If you care to watch the broadcast, the story is at the 2:10 mark, not long to wait.

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=752045

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 6:41 PM

$70M Regina downtown project loses permit

CBC News
Posted: Sep 5, 2012 11:21 AM CST
Last Updated: Sep 5, 2012 11:20 AM CST

A high-profile condo and hotel development in downtown Regina — one that's been through a series of starts and stops — appears to be on the backburner once again.

The Capital Pointe Development located at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Albert Street was supposed to be a $70-million, 26-storey skyscraper — the tallest building in Regina. In addition to condos and retail space, the original project also called for a nine-storey Hilton hotel, with a 2013 opening planned.

However, the lot where the old Plains Hotel used to be currently sits empty, with weeds surrounding a picture of what the new building is supposed to look like.

An administration report going to Regina city councillors today says although council previously approved the project, the company's development permit has expired. [...]

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ment-1209.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Is anyone really shocked by this outcome? This was as pie-in-the-sky of an idea for a city the size of Regina as they come. It's too bad they had tried to decieve the public in thinking this thing actually had a snowball's chance in hell of happening. If I were an investor in this project, I would be outraged.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:08 PM

I love this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
CBC News called the developer for comment Wednesday, but there was no immediate response.
That definitely sounds like a company who is actively trying to bolster public opinion and work towards starting this project. You can't even return a phone call?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I love this part.

That definitely sounds like a company who is actively trying to bolster public opinion and work towards starting this project. You can't even return a phone call?
Maybe they just don't like CBC?

Here is a similar article from CJME with an answer:

http://cjme.com/story/development-pe...-expired/73529

Quote:
It had an original completion date of 2013 in what was to be a hotel, condo and retail location. Despite prior knowledge of the expiration so far no one has reapplied.

Developer, Greg Black now says they will be reapplying. He explained there is a reason for the delay.

"The cost of construction in Regina is perhaps a little bit higher than we've been anticipating so we had to try and get our costs down a little bit," he said.

They have been doing some redesign work on the basement and will be applying once that is complete. He confirms they are in conversation with SaskPower to start the underground work that can begin without a permit in as little as a few months time.

For now all that remains on the site is rubble.
But still doesn't mean it will get built

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I love this part.

These guys are like a broken record, they are always claiming there is something about to happen in the next month or two. Only problem is those statements turn into many months, then years, then not at all. I kind of wish these guys would sell the lot to someone who has the capacity to actually do something. How long has this BS being going on with these guys. No one in their right mind would give these guys a dime now, they should just pack up and leave town. End rant..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan