HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Heritage Landing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Winnipeg Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 6:37 PM
Transit Nerd

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 6:48 PM
Editor

^Well aware that Toronto city hall has a similar floor plate shape. There are also a few other buildings around the globe that have both a convex and concave side. When combining height and floorplate shape, there aren't any buildings like the Bow. As mentioned earlier, the Bow would stand out in any skyline in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Out of curiosity, do most Winnipeg forumers prefer Manitoba Hydro's design (which I love btw) to the Bow?
I would venture that most, if not all Winnipeg forumers would prefer the Hydro building....and of course most if not all Calgary forumers would prefer the Bow.

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Oct 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
I am a typical

I've never really been impressed by the Bow, I think it is probably Foster's worst building. It's monolithic, he simply took a crescent shape and stuck his trademark cris-cross on it. I've felt extremely let down by its design since it was first revealed and it isn't my favourite Calgary skyscraper.

It's no Hearst or 30 St Mary Axe, that's for sure. It's good for Calgary but honestly, other than Foster's usual facade treatment they building is pretty boring from the outside. And yes, from certain angles it appears to be a giant monolithic block, very ungraceful, but MB Hydro has the same thing when you compare views of it from the south versus the north; it's a V shape.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
Editor

Everyone seems to either love it or hate it. I don't actually find it boring, even though there are aren't alot of details. I would take the Bow over Commerz Bank, Torre Caja or HSBC without a second thought. I've been to those other buildings in person and I find the Bow to be nicer and more striking in person. As far as the Heart building....I've also seen that one in person and I don't find it any more impressive. The concave side of the Bow blows away those buildings.

St Mary's axe... well, it's in a league of it's own.

As far as the width and monolithic side of the Bow. There's no doubt about it's size, and personally I would have preferred it to be thinner. I still maintain that's it's not an 'unoriginal' building. In the end, no matter what city you put it in, it's a notable building, whether it's because of the size, or the curves. One of my favorite buildings is the US steel building in Pittsburgh...which has also been criticized at times for being too wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I've never really been impressed by the Bow, I think it is probably Foster's worst building. It's monolithic, he simply took a crescent shape and stuck his trademark cris-cross on it. I've felt extremely let down by its design since it was first revealed and it isn't my favourite Calgary skyscraper.

It's no Hearst or 30 St Mary Axe, that's for sure. It's good for Calgary but honestly, other than Foster's usual facade treatment they building is pretty boring from the outside. And yes, from certain angles it appears to be a giant monolithic block, very ungraceful, but MB Hydro has the same thing when you compare views of it from the south versus the north; it's a V shape.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:41 PM
I am a typical

I don't hate The Bow, it just failed to meet my expectations.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't hate The Bow, it just failed to meet my expectations.
Conversely, I don't love the Bow...well maybe that's not true. Some days I do love it. I think it turned out pretty much what I expected (I wasn't expecting 30 St Mary's).

I was dissapointed with the width of it, but really like some of the other features, and how it looks from certain angles. The whole beginning of the Bow discussion was a comment about it being 'un-original'...to which I still disagree with. It's hard to find anything original these days

I won't sidetrack this thread any more with Calgary stuff......but I'll leave off here with a shot of my favorite angle of the Bow

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:53 AM
the first stamp is free

^ That is one sweet building.

I like the Hydro Tower, but would only want it over the Bow if it were 20 floors higher. In it's current short, squat form - I would take the Bow in Winnipeg over it, period. There really is no comparison.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:15 PM
Armchair urbanist

Fun Fact

As of this post, there are 17 references to "the Bow" on this page. And now there are 18...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the bow is a monster.. thats only half of it ur seing from this angle on princes island

but so is this thing

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:19 PM
That's what she said

The Bow looks even wider when viewing it from the north east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

the bow is a monster.. thats only half of it ur seing from this angle on princes island
However...other angles it looks very slender

Da Bow by prairie_rocket, on Flickr

The wide side of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defaultuser/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
but so is this thing
I actually like the look of the tower, I know most don't, but I don't really see what is wrong with it? The Townhouses look great as well! And those who know me, know that I love the butted up against the sidewalk look!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Fun Fact

As of this post, there are 17 references to "the Bow" on this page. And now there are 18...
It's not really "fun" though. This isn't a Calgary thread. If I want some info on Calgary buildings, I will mosy on over to the Calgary section, thanks. If a bunch of Winnipeg pics were posted in the Calgary threads as a way of trying to "boost" Winnipeg development, like some are doing here, I don't think they would be very happy with all the OT rhetoric going on.

This is a thread about Winnipeg, so can we please end the OT BOW discussion and continue talking about Heritage Landing, please?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
It's not really "fun" though. This isn't a Calgary thread. If I want some info on Calgary buildings, I will mosy on over to the Calgary section, thanks. If a bunch of Winnipeg pics were posted in the Calgary threads as a way of trying to "boost" Winnipeg development, like some are doing here, I don't think they would be very happy with all the OT rhetoric going on.

This is a thread about Winnipeg, so can we please end the OT BOW discussion and continue talking about Heritage Landing, please?
You just made it 22!!!!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 1:41 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:36 AM
BANNED

there is fencing around most of the site now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 2:23 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Those two examples have a somewhat similar floorplate and that's where it ends. There's also a building in Sao Paulo Brazil that has curvy floorplates too, but that's also where it ends.
COPAN?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:30 AM
BANNED

WHO CARES about curvy buildings, if you want to talk about calgary, toronto or brazil, then go to those forums, this is for Heritage Landing, some people like myself would like to hear about it and not other cities. Unless this has become a Multi city forum,

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:14 AM
Transit Nerd

Oooo, we have an international SSP guy! About time, I've rarely seen anyone outside of Canada on this section

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bluenote relax

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
I am a typical

You guys forgot that you have to call it lizarB or oloaP oaS to avoid rotnarT from derailing the thread. We had this problem in Midwest for a while. He is like Beetlejuice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan