HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
They put an ad in the Regina paper, so it's not exactly far fetched... They also described themselves as "no frills", soooo.....

http://shopping.leaderpost.com/ROP/a...?advid=1706231
Hard to take Mr. Wick seriously now, as if anyone did before.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:18 PM

I dunno, they can call themselves no frills if they want, but I checked a room at Pearson for the weekend:

Amenities:
Comfort and relaxation await you in this room featuring large, sprawling windows, as well as a bed adorned with a goose-down duvet and down pillows with feather centres. Lounge in the Italian armchair while enjoying the handy iHome alarm clock radio for iPods.
You can also unwind in the spa-style bathroom, with its glass-walled shower, dense-pressure shower head, hair dryer and other practical accessories.

$149 per night. So, it's not the Ritz, but it sounds like a very nice chain.

Doesn't much matter. The corner of Vic & Albert is a parking lot again anyway.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 3:38 PM

Taking people seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Hard to take Mr. Wick seriously now, as if anyone did before.
Well Mr. Gob. You seem pretty touchy. Was it my comment about Fortress or the opinion with respect to the ALT brand ? I'll refer back to your post, oh let's say, when the snow is blowing hard through the parking lot.........

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickintheWick View Post
Well Mr. Gob. You seem pretty touchy. Was it my comment about Fortress or the opinion with respect to the ALT brand ? I'll refer back to your post, oh let's say, when the snow is blowing hard through the parking lot.........
Do you deny scoffing at the idea that a certain hotel chain would ever consider Regina WHEN THEY ARE ACTIVELY ADVERTISING FOR SITES in the city?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Do you deny scoffing at the idea that a certain hotel chain would ever consider Regina WHEN THEY ARE ACTIVELY ADVERTISING FOR SITES in the city?
Can you please provide a link to this company advertising for sites in Regina? My personal belief is that Regina is too small a city for this kind of large scale and prestigious company to have a presence in at the moment.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Can you please provide a link to this company advertising for sites in Regina? My personal belief is that Regina is too small a city for this kind of large scale and prestigious company to have a presence in at the moment.
Huh? ALT only have a just few hotels. They have one u/c in Halifax. Saskatoon and Regina are two of the fastest growing cities in Canada, if not the two fastest. They also have close to highest hotel occupancy rates and high room rates. Why wouldn't they want to be here is the real question. To quote the company: “We’re following the markets that have the indicators that would sustain having a hotel like ours in the marketplace,”
"Regina is one of the top five markets out west. It's a market that's been fairly stable. It's a nice opportunity for us to find the proper site there."

The link to the ad is below in this thread.

Here is a link to the stories:

http://www.hoteliermagazine.com/in-t...egina-location

http://www.leaderpost.com/travel/Hot...400/story.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
It is a fact that Regina/Saskatoon are the fastest growing cities in Canada. This would be an excellent ground floor opportunity for this chain to locate here.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

Wow this is great news for regina. By the sounds of it these guys really want to get something going quick, i hope they find a nice lot somewhere aaway from the other tall buildings. Id like to see a tower between the delta and sgi building.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Wow this is great news for regina. By the sounds of it these guys really want to get something going quick, i hope they find a nice lot somewhere aaway from the other tall buildings. Id like to see a tower between the delta and sgi building.
The Cornwall is between the delta and SGI so that'd be a little difficult to do... Of they could obtain that lot where the low-rental units used to be that could be good though (as long as we could convice the Cornwall to reno that bleak blank wall a bit...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
The Cornwall is between the delta and SGI so that'd be a little difficult to do... Of they could obtain that lot where the low-rental units used to be that could be good though (as long as we could convice the Cornwall to reno that bleak blank wall a bit...
Victoria Avenue & Rose Street would be a great location. (If it were to be a tall building.) That would be !!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 10:50 PM

Just drove by CP lot this date and contrary to the downtown plan not to allow surface parking on development lots, we now have a surface parking lot on the Capital Pointe site. What a joke.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
ARTchitecture

wtf?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
Just drove by CP lot this date and contrary to the downtown plan not to allow surface parking on development lots, we now have a surface parking lot on the Capital Pointe site. What a joke.
They've been using it for about 2 weeks. The way around the rule could be that it's not really a new parking lot... the part they are using as a parking lot was a parking lot before the demolition of the Plains. Colour me not impressed.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:14 PM

The lot that is home to the yet to be started River Landing Village development in Saskatoon has also been a parking lot for most of the summer. The developer has indicated that rather then have it sit empty while approvals are being processed (which btw, as of a few weeks ago, permits all approved) it made sense to have parking available. He also originally indicated that a portion of the parking proceeds would be given to charity (not sure on the status of that commitment).

So, don't loose hope on CP yet....if they can't get shovels in the ground yet, might as well provide some surface parking for downtown area....still hope this thing proceeds for you guys....would be great for Regina and good for Saskatchewan!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Probably not a Germaine hotel, but there could be an ATL in Regina or Saskatoon

The important thing is not whether Regina or Saskatoon is too "small" but what the market can support that type of hotel

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:05 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Probably not a Germaine hotel, but there could be an ATL in Regina or Saskatoon

The important thing is not whether Regina or Saskatoon is too "small" but what the market can support that type of hotel
For the love of God. No one is claiming it will be of the boutique Hotel le Germain brand. We've all clearly stated (and posted the relevant ads) that the inquiry into Regina property is for their ALT brand.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
For the love of God. No one is claiming it will be of the boutique Hotel le Germain brand. We've all clearly stated (and posted the relevant ads) that the inquiry into Regina property is for their ALT brand.
Relax, Nathan. I was responding to that poster. I don't know what you're drawing from my post?

Germaine group has been looking to really extend their alt branding so I would not be surprised to see them seriously looking into setting up one or two hotels in Saskatchewan. But to be fair just because they are inquiring doesn't mean it will be built either, so no expectations should be built, though it's a great sign of interest and indicative.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 4:12 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Relax, Nathan. I was responding to that poster. I don't know what you're drawing from my post?

Germaine group has been looking to really extend their alt branding so I would not be surprised to see them seriously looking into setting up one or two hotels in Saskatchewan. But to be fair just because they are inquiring doesn't mean it will be built either, so no expectations should be built, though it's a great sign of interest and indicative.
Yes it was a little snippy (and I apologise), but the whole issue was addressed above... by numerous posters... And I guess it's just annoying being constantly reminded that something grand/high class boutique won't be built here for a very long time. We're a smaller city, we know it's not going to happen... no point in beating a dead horse.

And I don't think we have any huge expectations... the whole Capital Pointe debacle has probably taught people to be a little more scrutinising and grounded. Still nice/exciting to talk about and imagine the possibilities though.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Yes it was a little snippy (and I apologise), but the whole issue was addressed above... by numerous posters... And I guess it's just annoying being constantly reminded that something grand/high class boutique won't be built here for a very long time. We're a smaller city, we know it's not going to happen... no point in beating a dead horse.

And I don't think we have any huge expectations... the whole Capital Pointe debacle has probably taught people to be a little more scrutinising and grounded. Still nice/exciting to talk about and imagine the possibilities though.
I understand, but i also still don't think you understood my post. I'll explain for the sake of understanding: I wasn't content with the choice of words that poster used to describe Regina's potential in attracting a Germaine group hotel ("too small for such a prestigious company")

I was merely implying, don't be so quick to doubt Regina ls potential. alt is realistic. Alt is a high end boutique hotel and is a branding of the Germaine group, seperate from their luxury brand. I wasn't implying to you or anyone else since I'd quoted that poster.

By the way I don't have an issue with that poster at all. That poster has had some solid posts in the past, I just felt the poster didn't really understand that Germaine choosing to inquire has less to do with a city's size, but more so market potential. That is; competition, niche potential, location, market base, local population, serviceable population etc...

I think you thought I was implying the opposite to what I actually stated. No worries though

That they are inquiring, which I did read before initially posting, is a very positive sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan