HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Sure, but the limit on sales of very profitable $1000 tickets is much lower in Regina and Winnipeg than Toronto. You could probably fill Mosaic or IG Field at $100 per ticket, but it's the cream of the crop tickets that make the money.

FIFA also considers the ancillary benefits (transit/accommodation/travel accessibility) of being in major cities too. If a government is willing to commit the money (Vancouver wasn't and they got cut) why wouldn't FIFA choose the biggest cities?

Exactly Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton are the biggest cities in terms of population but in these cities the game of soccer...football...is die hard compared to places like Ottawa or Winnipeg

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:51 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Exactly Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton are the biggest cities in terms of population but in these cities the game of soccer...football...is die hard compared to places like Ottawa or Winnipeg
Certainly Toronto and Montreal.

Edmonton, IMO, is more of a "host it and they will come" sort of place.

And population wise its virtually identical to Ottawa, and more comparable to Winnipeg versus either of Montreal or Toronto.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:15 PM
Community Guy

Except that we now have a catchment of all of Western Canada for the event and particularly Calgary, so now it is a 2.5-3mil market.

Part of this is to also expand the reach of the sport and so we hit many provinces, the north and northern states even.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:18 PM

The only embarrassing thing about a WC in Edmonton is having international visitors walk past tiny Clarke Stadium reading "Home of FC Edmonton" on the way into the massive Commonwealth.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Except that we now have a catchment of all of Western Canada for the event and particularly Calgary, so now it is a 2.5-3mil market.

Part of this is to also expand the reach of the sport and so we hit many provinces, the north and northern states even.
For a once in a lifetime event, I could definitely see people from Calgary/Saskatchewan driving and Vancouver flying for games in Edmonton.

All the better to have a large stadium for this kind of thing.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:21 PM
ハルウララ

Given that previous World Cups were in Russia, Brazil, and South Africa I doubt many travelling fans are going to find much to be embarrassed about in Edmonton. I remember hearing some pretty crazy stories from all three events from people who traveled for them, from getting mugged in Brazil to going on extreme benders with locals in Russia. Edmonton will be fine.

At least people will be able to drink for and during WC2026.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Given that previous World Cups were in Russia, Brazil, and South Africa I doubt many travelling fans are going to find much to be embarrassed about in Edmonton. I remember hearing some pretty crazy stories from all three events from people who traveled for them, from getting mugged in Brazil to going on extreme benders with locals in Russia. Edmonton will be fine.

At least people will be able to drink for and during WC2026.
Yeah alcohol is definitely going to be a plus well with all 48 country fans here in Canada that's for sure but bars most definitely are going to be packed now more than ever before

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
For a once in a lifetime event, I could definitely see people from Calgary/Saskatchewan driving and Vancouver flying for games in Edmonton.

All the better to have a large stadium for this kind of thing.

I know if games are in Montreal and Edmonton and if my country Ghana qualifies for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and their games are in Montreal or Edmonton I am making the trip to watch games there

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:03 PM
Community Guy

It would be a massive draw for many. I was at the Women's World Cup and the U20 and it was a blast.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It would be a massive draw for many. I was at the Women's World Cup and the U20 and it was a blast.
But with it being a 48 team tournament, it is no longer groups of 4 teams anymore. It is 16 groups of 3 teams but I wonder how is that even going to work?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
But with it being a 48 team tournament, it is no longer groups of 4 teams anymore. It is 16 groups of 3 teams but I wonder how is that even going to work?
The group stages are only 2 games. It was the first criticism I heard of it when the plan was unveiled.

If you qualify you're guaranteed only 2 games instead of 3 but I guess the point was trading it off for letting smaller countries who probably wouldn't qualify anyway a chance just to play 2 games so they'd be happy. If your a more dominant country well, if you can't qualify in either of those 2 playoff spots from the groups after 2 matches you have no right to complain about the lack of an extra game anyway.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
The group stages are only 2 games. It was the first criticism I heard of it when the plan was unveiled.

If you qualify you're guaranteed only 2 games instead of 3 but I guess the point was trading it off for letting smaller countries who probably wouldn't qualify anyway a chance just to play 2 games so they'd be happy. If your a more dominant country well, if you can't qualify in either of those 2 playoff spots from the groups after 2 matches you have no right to complain about the lack of an extra game anyway.
I guess it makes better sense

This is strictly the words of most soccer pundits that I've listened to on podcasts that have said that once the 2026 FIFA World Cup begins, that out of the 3 co host nations Canada, USA and Mexico that Canada would be the country that won't get out of the group stages. I mean Canada does have a talented team for the most part. I mean they have a young team filled with stars but that they said their team is nowhere near the level of USA or Mexico. They strictly said that USA and Mexico would be more likely to get out of the group stage and go on deeper runs than Canada I guess because they do not really rank Canada as a football power.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:17 PM
ハルウララ

It's much too early to say. It's difficult to talk about the physical 2026 tournament when qualifying for 2022 hasn't even started yet. Here's hoping CONCACAF shelves their ridiculous qualifying formula in favour of something grounded more in reality.

In saying that, a number of Canadians will be in their prime footballing years during 2026, so it's difficult to say at the moment exactly how good Canada will be by that time. Canada will almost certainly possess at least one world class player in 2026.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Canada will almost certainly possess at least one world class player in 2026.
We already do in 2020.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
It's much too early to say. It's difficult to talk about the physical 2026 tournament when qualifying for 2022 hasn't even started yet. Here's hoping CONCACAF shelves their ridiculous qualifying formula in favour of something grounded more in reality.

In saying that, a number of Canadians will be in their prime footballing years during 2026, so it's difficult to say at the moment exactly how good Canada will be by that time. Canada will almost certainly possess at least one world class player in 2026.
Qualifying for Qatar has started, just not the hex. Canada's chance to move into the top six of CONCACAF rankings rather than run the gauntlet of the interconference playoff has disappeared because no international matches are being played because of COVID. Still in it though.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:49 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Qualifying for Qatar has started, just not the hex. Canada's chance to move into the top six of CONCACAF rankings rather than run the gauntlet of the interconference playoff has disappeared because no international matches are being played because of COVID. Still in it though.
CONCACAF's/Canada's qualifying for WC2022 has yet to start. The whole formula is nonsense, anyway. I'm partly of the belief that Canada would have a better chance of qualifying the non-Hex route anyway, but even after winning a playoff against the 4th-place Hex team the winner still has to play inter-confed playoff against hopefully New Zealand or whoever comes out of Asia. I doubt Canada could beat the 5th best team in South America at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj
We already do in 2020.
We do, and it's possible David may be at that level in a few years as well, but that's counting our chickens before they're hatched.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
CONCACAF's/Canada's qualifying for WC2022 has yet to start. The whole formula is nonsense, anyway. I'm partly of the belief that Canada would have a better chance of qualifying the non-Hex route anyway, but even after winning a playoff against the 4th-place Hex team the winner still has to play inter-confed playoff against hopefully New Zealand or whoever comes out of Asia. I doubt Canada could beat the 5th best team in South America at this stage.

We do, and it's possible David may be at that level in a few years as well, but that's counting our chickens before they're hatched.

Canada at least has a chance in the inter continental playoff if let's say they face New Zealand from Oceania or if Canada faces any Asian team for that playoff spot to get to Qatar

But 2026 we will have world class players that I am sure of hell we already do with Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David but also the rest of our squad is made up of stars but they are not as well known

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:43 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
They are restructuring the Hex for 2020-2021 qualifying. Canada still has a very good chance of qualifying.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
They are restructuring the Hex for 2020-2021 qualifying. Canada still has a very good chance of qualifying.
Who knows but is Canada good enough to beat teams like USA, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, Jamaica in qualifying

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
But then again in terms of economy Toronto is more richer than Montreal and Edmonton in terms of other areas like hotels, transportation, etc but also compared to both of those cities in Toronto there is a lot more you can do in terms of tourism/sightseeing/nightlife during World Cup time compared to Montreal or Edmonton hence why Toronto was chosen. Money talks at the end of the day.
Not sure I agree. Toronto and Montreal are pretty much on par when it comes to transportation, tourist attractions, hotels, nightlife, at least in the context of what FIFA might be looking for. Sure Toronto is bigger and has a stronger economy, but it doesn't matter.

Edmonton is the odd man out, but as others have said, it was the only city of significant size that has a worthy stadium outside of Vancouver. Edmonton will benefit more from FIFA than Montreal or Toronto will in terms of world exposure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada