HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:23 AM
Has been

Awesome. That render first appeared 4 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
FFS!

Brad Wall never hesitates to spout off petulantly to defend Saskatchewan's interests when he feels they're threatened by the Feds, but when it's big business -- crickets. C'mon.
Your right, Brad Wall and the Sask party spaz out every time Trudeau does anything not aligned with Walls narrow vision of the economy. The latest thing they've been ranting about is the expected Bank of Canada rate hike likely to occur this week. According to the Sask Party now is not the right time for a rate hike as it will hurt the Sask economy that is already in the toilet. Like the Bank of Canada decides on rate hikes based on one provinces economy or something. The reality is the Wall budget is going to make our economy worse, raising taxes and cutting spending is not a recipe for growth. Meanwhile in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, their economies are growing and doing much better. Splain that one Wall.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:50 PM
Pure Phase

Details and images of the planned World Trade Centre Saskatoon.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...fall-1.4201196

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:05 PM

well its something, better than an empty parking lot.

i wonder if they want to still build the 30+ storey condo tower at some point too.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:11 PM

Somehow, either from previous reports or a total invention of my mind, I was expecting the WTC Saskatoon to be built on the corner of 22nd and 4th where the Haultain Building stands. But this image is showing it on 22nd and 3rd where the old Affinity is:

https://twitter.com/Vandecision

This makes sense - it can connect to the BHP Building, and with the Jansen mine seeming likely to go ahead they could be in the market for more space in a few years. This will beef up that corner of 3rd nicely. But we need some ground floor retail space here or this whole side of the block will have been sterilized.

I fear that the Haultain Building will be sacrificed to create surface parking to serve this building. I hope that's not the case. It would be great if North Prairie/Canwest has future plans to develop a condo there.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Somehow, either from previous reports or a total invention of my mind, I was expecting the WTC Saskatoon to be built on the corner of 22nd and 4th where the Haultain Building stands. But this image is showing it on 22nd and 3rd where the old Affinity is:

https://twitter.com/Vandecision

This makes sense - it can connect to the BHP Building, and with the Jansen mine seeming likely to go ahead they could be in the market for more space in a few years. This will beef up that corner of 3rd nicely. But we need some ground floor retail space here or this whole side of the block will have been sterilized.

I fear that the Haultain Building will be sacrificed to create surface parking to serve this building. I hope that's not the case. It would be great if North Prairie/Canwest has future plans to develop a condo there.
i do remember an article last year stating that they removed the zoning to completely redo the project altogether.

i agree with you echoes, hopefully they do put a condo tower there too, there are other lots opened up for sale too that they would want to put that condo tower on
- 25th/2nd ave ( old pat hotel )
- parcel D
- 25th/5th ( if its still open )

never know, i wish they wouldve specified info about the condo tower and if it was still in the works or not.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:12 PM

Here's a likely better image:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...fall-1.4201196

A perfectly unremarkable, but unoffensive, building. I guess we'll take it?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:02 PM

Another view, moreso of the 22nd St side:

https://twitter.com/charlieclarkyxe/...23474465169408

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:26 PM
the heat goes on

proper renders were posted by canwest on twitter

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:41 PM

^ Thanks. Hadn't discovered them on Twitter yet.

Much better:

https://twitter.com/CCLC_SK/status/885230509575380992

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
^ Thanks. Hadn't discovered them on Twitter yet.

Much better:

https://twitter.com/CCLC_SK/status/885230509575380992
Nice looking building. Just wish it was taller.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:43 PM
Registered Geek

Saskatchewan Health Region

Let's also remember that the new Saskatchewan Health Region will be looking for a new home in Saskatoon. I'm curious to see where they end up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:31 PM

Probably will want A class building space and with a downtown Class A vacancy rate of 5.5% which is about 34,000 sq ft probably split between more than one building, that could be difficult.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
Nice looking building. Just wish it was taller.
Congratulations Saskatoon on the proposed smallest 'World Trade Centre' on the planet! Continue reaching for the stars S'toon!!
If you ever want advice on how to start building high rises someday, Regina can give you a hand with that

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:02 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
An internationally-branded office tower coming to Saskatoon now has a location and a concept plan.

The Saskatoon World Trade Center (WTC), originally announced in March, will be built at the corner of 22nd Street and 3rd Avenue, replacing the former Credit Union office.

The location and plans for the nine-storey building were revealed at a news conference Wednesday morning by Canwest Commercial and Land Corporation.

It's set to feature a main floor restaurant, with a total of 118,401 square feet of rentable space available once the building opens in 2019.

Construction on the privately-funded $50 million project is expected to start this fall.

Former mayor Don Atchison, a consultant with Canwest, wouldn't say how much of the office tower had been rented out yet.

"We're not going to talk about who we're dealing with or what we're doing," he said. "We're still talking to tenants at this point."

He added the building's focus on international trade, and connection to over 320 WTC properties worldwide, will help fill the office space.

"It's purpose-driven," he said. "This will give businesses the opportunity to meet on a grassroot basis with different organizations and businesses all around the world."

The tower will also have an underground parkade with 192 stalls, with eventual plans for a 51-space parking lot to replace the Haultain Building at the corner of 22nd Street and 4th Avenue.

HOMETOWN BOOST
Acquiring the licence to use the WTC brand was made easier by Martin Salloum, the North American director of the WTC Association.\

"This was the very first city, the first developer I met with when I was asked to look after North America,” he said.

"I went to school in Nutana, my family is buried here ... I am very proud.”

Salloum said he's been receiving more calls from Atchison than he has from the other 65 WTCs under his charge.

"He has a lot of ideas and gumption,” he said.

Salloum's family is well-known in Saskatoon, having run a grocery store and restaurant in the past.

Albert Salloum ​— Martin's father — established himself as a business leader after returning from World War II, eventually serving as president of the Chamber of Commerce for 25 years.

Email cvandenbreekel@rawlco.com
Twitter @vandecision
http://ckom.com/article/1698531/loca...d-trade-center

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Congratulations Saskatoon on the proposed smallest 'World Trade Centre' on the planet! Continue reaching for the stars S'toon!!
If you ever want advice on how to start building high rises someday, Regina can give you a hand with that
You mean with tax money?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:08 PM

I've looked at the main WTC site (for all the WTC sites) and I still don't really get what these buildings do. Are they just regular office space or are only certain types of businesses allowed or what? And why do you think they are building in downtown Saskatoon when right now we have an overabundance of office space? Is it that the city lacks high quality office space or they are expecting a big turnaround to come?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:14 PM

Thanks for posting that article, macca.

How lovely

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 8:49 PM

Yes ToddStoon Saskatoon does not have a whole lot of quality space available right now only 34,000 sq ft between five class A buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan