HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
People drive because the city is so expansive and poorly coordinated.
Also because it is easier, faster, more flexible and more comfortable.

I take transit when it makes more sense than taking the car, and sometimes it does.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Also because it is easier, faster, more flexible and more comfortable.

I take transit when it makes more sense than taking the car, and sometimes it does.
Couldn't agree more. I live just off the rapid transit route. I take it when I don't want to take a cab into the village for a few beverages. Otherwise, what purpose does it serve me? I'm going to stand in the cold for a bus that comes every fifteen minutes only to have to stop every 2 minutes once I'm aboard. If I'm not going in a straight line, I'm going to have to transfer at least once, if not twice, to get anywhere, and I'll still have to walk from the bus stop once I'm there.

In the summer, I ride my bike for exercise and sport, but I'm not going to actually bike anywhere because leaving my bike means it's going to get stolen, so I drive to those places too. Winnipeg is Winnipeg. There's nothing changing about Winnipeg in the future. Slap an infrastructure fee on all future development in new subdivisions like the rest of the world and be done with it already.

There's nobody out there in their warm car during their morning and afternoon commute just *wishing* there was a better way for them to stand in the cold for a long time waiting to get packed into a tin can so they can stand shoulder to shoulder all the way home only to have to walk from the bus station....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:27 PM

^ Obviously cars are a more desirable option when nearly the entire city is set up to favour the car. Unwalkable streets, long distances, infrastructure spending that completely favours cars, low densities that make it tougher to establish a good transit system... all of those things add up to make people give up and go with their cars. This is not exactly breaking news. But perhaps there are better ways to spend money than on building more roads and enormous amounts of underused infrastructure to support them?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:28 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Obviously cars are a more desirable option when nearly the entire city is set up to favour the car. Unwalkable streets, long distances, infrastructure spending that completely favours cars, low densities that make it tougher to establish a good transit system... all of those things add up to make people give up and go with their cars. This is not exactly breaking news. But perhaps there are better ways to spend money than on building more roads and enormous amounts of underused infrastructure to support them?
Yeah, with the amount of upkeep, you'd wonder why many cities with urban/suburban sprawl are on a deficit.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
People drive because the city is so expansive and poorly coordinated. It's a little difficult to walk this back at this point.
Or, is the people who are poorly coordinated?

Why would you live in Charleswood and commute to work in North Kildonan? Wouldn't it be simpler to live in North Kildonan or find a job in St. James.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:41 PM

I work in the south Kenaston area. I live in EK. Depending on what you do for work, there may be nothing in between. There is nowhere that can provide me with the same or better opportunity for employment I have now. Plus I just don't want to live in the south west. So I drive across town each day.

I know people who live in Portage and drive into Winnipeg each day. I have a co-worker who lives in Anola and drives to south Kenaston everyday. That's what people do.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post

Why would you live in Charleswood and commute to work in North Kildonan? Wouldn't it be simpler to live in North Kildonan or find a job in St. James.
At least you aren't over simplifying things

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post

I'm sure you just blew your own mind there, but people hold jobs in the same place for a few years these days. You aren't going to pick up and move your family every few years because Dad is now working at a new branch on the other side of the city. And unless you're working at a gas station, it's unlikely that whatever it is you do professionally can just be found around the corner in your local neighbourhood.

I can't even believe I had to clarify that...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I work in the south Kenaston area. I live in EK. Depending on what you do for work, there may be nothing in between. There is nowhere that can provide me with the same or better opportunity for employment I have now. Plus I just don't want to live in the south west. So I drive across town each day.

I know people who live in Portage and drive into Winnipeg each day. I have a co-worker who lives in Anola and drives to south Kenaston everyday. That's what people do.
But duuuuude, couldn't you just, like, find the same job in Elmwood or something?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:59 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I'm sure you just blew your own mind there, but people hold jobs in the same place for a few years these days. You aren't going to pick up and move your family every few years because Dad is now working at a new branch on the other side of the city. And unless you're working at a gas station, it's unlikely that whatever it is you do professionally can just be found around the corner in your local neighbourhood.

I can't even believe I had to clarify that...
Oh, but you are wrong -- If you look a little ways back we had a link to the North Point Village "community" plan. They said that the "community" would allow for "employment" because it had a massively scaled C4 zone to the west. I'm sure all the professional and semi-professionals that live in the area will be able to either open a new office in that zone, or maybe find a job there...

Part of the problem is that creating an office in your neighbourhood both goes with the Complete Community plan (to have employment options close to home) and against the zoning bylaws at the same time. If you were a professional and wanted to open an office, would you look at a place close to home that would require you to go to public hearing? Or would you pick some office park in the suburbs that has ample parking for all your staff to come from whatever part of the City they want?

This isn't to say that I have a problem with the suburban office park, or at least a big problem with it. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the first option is almost impossible.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Feb 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Oh, but you are wrong -- If you look a little ways back we had a link to the North Point Village "community" plan. They said that the "community" would allow for "employment" because it had a massively scaled C4 zone to the west. I'm sure all the professional and semi-professionals that live in the area will be able to either open a new office in that zone, or maybe find a job there...

Part of the problem is that creating an office in your neighbourhood both goes with the Complete Community plan (to have employment options close to home) and against the zoning bylaws at the same time. If you were a professional and wanted to open an office, would you look at a place close to home that would require you to go to public hearing? Or would you pick some office park in the suburbs that has ample parking for all your staff to come from whatever part of the City they want?

This isn't to say that I have a problem with the suburban office park, or at least a big problem with it. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the first option is almost impossible.
You're right about the logistics of things, but let's be honest. People buying brand new $400K homes aren't looking for employment. They're already gainfully employed wherever their existing office is located. They're now choosing a particular suburb to live in based on how they'd like to accommodate their intended lifestyle...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You're right about the logistics of things, but let's be honest. People buying brand new $400K homes aren't looking for employment. They're already gainfully employed wherever their existing office is located. They're now choosing a particular suburb to live in based on how they'd like to accommodate their intended lifestyle...
People should think about the 6% of their "lifestyle" that they're going to spend in traffic to and from work. When I bought a home I made sure it was a cheap (free) and quick (10m walk) commute to work. Not sure why most people don't make that a priority.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
People should think about the 6% of their "lifestyle" that they're going to spend in traffic to and from work. When I bought a home I made sure it was a cheap (free) and quick (10m walk) commute to work. Not sure why most people don't make that a priority.
Agreed. I know people who work downtown yet live in the most far-flung reaches of suburbia on notoriously congested commuting routes... the thought of spending nearly an hour each way just driving up and down St. Mary's Road every day would drive me up the wall.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Because it isn't always possible, although it is ideal, for me it would be ideal to live and work on the same side of the river in Winnipeg. Jobs move quite a bit geographically, even within the same city, people progress through their careers and often move through different workplaces. Most people don't work at the exact same job in the exact same location for their working life. I certainly wouldn't want to move to a new house with each step in my career and I couldn't imagine doing that with children involved.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Because it isn't always possible, although it is ideal, for me it would be ideal to live and work on the same side of the river in Winnipeg. Jobs move quite a bit geographically, even within the same city, people progress through their careers and often move through different workplaces. Most people don't work at the exact same job in the exact same location for their working life. I certainly wouldn't want to move to a new house with each step in my career and I couldn't imagine doing that with children involved.
Fair enough. I'm just saying when you are considering the pros/cons of your your current/next job or home, I'm surprised that more people don't give a higher weight to the commute between both.

People just seem resigned to the fact that daily commutes are an hour or two of your day and then don't consider it in their home/employment choice.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 2:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
People just seem resigned to the fact that daily commutes are an hour or two of your day and then don't consider it in their home/employment choice.
That is certainly not the average commute time, more like the maximum, like from downtown to Oakbank.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 3:34 PM

If I lived in Toronto, I would be more concerned about my commute time. Average time for me is 35-45 mins. In winter storms, you can double that. Like I said before, (and no there are no jobs for me in Elmwood ) there is a limited choice of job locations for the career I'm in.

I live where I do because that's where I want to live. I'd love for my office to relocate downtown, that would be great! But I just don't have the flexibility at this point in time to accept a job that is close to home. Why?

A. My pay would be reduced as I would basically be starting a new career in a different field.
B. I'm doing what I want to be doing right now. If I accepted another job closer to home, it would likely be something I didn't want to be doing. Who wants to go suffer at work all day for the rest of your career?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:21 PM

So, for Simplicity"s sake, after three days of other opinions, it appear that most people would have a concern about living closer to where they work, With one sitting on the fence, and two out in right field somewhere near Oakbank.

The original point of my comment was, sometimes people can be the problem and the solution is to create mind games to deflect the shit that comes off the fan and spread it over a broader range, this is usually done by creating a report.

......if I could be Frank, I wouldn't be a little.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Heard there's money for the CP Trail extension to McPhillips in the new Katz/NDP five year plan.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If I lived in Toronto, I would be more concerned about my commute time.
True, although a lot of people I know in Toronto (where I am) really enjoy their commute time. The GO Train is a whole social environment of its own. Lots of people like the quiet time sitting in their car listening to music or the radio. It's their thinking time, no-kids time or whatever. There can be bad days but it's always been surprising to me how many people with long commutes here seem not to mind them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan