HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

One Museum Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 6:20 PM

I believe (because one of my friends worked on a proposal that was rejected) that all of the renderings submitted for the contest were conceptual at best. I don't even think they had a budget... Given the amount of time they had to develop proposals, it's understandable that things like height, materials, etc. have changed. IMO what we see today is better than what was originally submitted...

btw- The proposal my friend worked on would have been really cool (although distracting from the High). It was a building that was stepped like this one in the rear but the front left side protruded out over the street giving a sort of twisting effect... maybe Atlanta will have some twisting buildings soon?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maledictis View Post
Thank you for paraphrasing my comment. You demonstrate a mastery of the phrase "bait and switch." They proposed one thing to win the competition (i.e. the bait) and then once they were the ones selected, they changed it (i.e. the switch).

Why wouldn't they use the real rendering for the competition? The one that's up on the OMP site now? Could it be because they knew the "preliminary" design, as you call it, was superior to the one they submitted? That they wouldn't have won if they had been honest? Hmm?

Oh Boy! What you are saying makes absolutely no sense.

The developer (John Wieland) is the one that proposed the project and also the one that held the competition to select an architect (Chipperfield). After Chipperfield was selected as the architect, he then worked to design a project to the standards and specifications of the developer's liking. The architect designed a building that the developer wanted.

Preliminary means just that...it was never proposed. Its just a drawing.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:21 PM

A couple of new OMP renderings posted by smArTaLlone

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:19 PM

those look taller than what I was thinking they were going to build...how tall is this supposed to be?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
those look taller than what I was thinking they were going to build...how tall is this supposed to be?
They also look better than the stark Ansel Adams boxes of before.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:31 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

These look really nice, especially if they end up with a metallic facade finish. For the geographically challenged, where will these go? Midtown? Downtown? Buckhead?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:36 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
These look really nice, especially if they end up with a metallic facade finish. For the geographically challenged, where will these go? Midtown? Downtown? Buckhead?
colemonkee...this tower is slated for Midtown, directly across the street from the High Museum of Art.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:41 PM

Gorgeous. Like something you would see in Rotterdam or London.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:30 PM
millard fillmore

at the very least, these towers should (knowing mr. chipperfield's work fairly well) be constructed with high-quality material. he's one of the few architects who really understood and demonstrates a van der Rohe-like attention to proportion and content within a fairly standard blocky structure. conversely, this is 2007.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 8:03 PM

For a cost of $325M, I guarantee there will be NO EIFS on the outside. We've seen a few renderings and changes, I hope this one sticks. The balconies have decent space & setback and people are far back enough from Peachtree it will kill the traffic noise.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:31 PM

One Museum Place project delayed

One Museum Place project delayed

By KIRSTEN TAGAMI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/13/07

A high-profile condo project across the street from the High Museum of Art has been put on hold for at least 18 months, according to the developer.

The $135 million One Museum Place broke ground September 5 and was scheduled to open next year. Home builder John Wieland planned to have 96 luxury condos and a 15,000-square-foot gallery for contemporary art on the site, where he tore down three mid-rise office buildings that dated to the 1950s and 1960s.

But the downturn in the housing market has changed Wieland's plans.

"We have put the project on hold," said Wieland's son, Jack, president of Wieland Commercial Group and an art collector like his father. " The residential housing and credit markets are so turbulent these days that it was the appropriate thing to do. Our aim is to revisit the existing building in around 18 months. The gallery is still very much a part of the plan and our dreams."

He added that the company hoped that British architect David Chipperfield, who was nearly finished with design development as of September, would also be involved in the project when it resumed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 8:09 PM
Back on the road again

I suppose many of us saw this coming. Time to put this one out of our minds til 2009 at the earliest.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Time to put this one out of our minds til 2009 at the earliest.
Trust me, 2009 will be here before you know it. Truer words than these were never spoken: "Life is like a roll of paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." I am in the middle, and time already flies!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Back on the road again

No doubt! It's absolutely shocking that it's November already, and I have an older brother who turned 50 this year! Horrors!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:21 PM

Thumbs down Thanks, John Wieland

Yessiree... that John Wieland is a reg'lar genius, he is.

Thanks for creating a huge eyesore on Peachtree for the next year and a half or more, John.

Those huge old oak trees you mowed down were just asking for it anyway.

Understandably priced from $1.5 million. Yeah whatever.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maledictis View Post
Yessiree... that John Wieland is a reg'lar genius, he is.

Thanks for creating a huge eyesore on Peachtree for the next year and a half or more, John.

Those huge old oak trees you mowed down were just asking for it anyway.

Understandably priced from $1.5 million. Yeah whatever.
yeah, the hole there sucks. yet, i'm sure this project will come around sooner than later.

you've really had a singular and salty focus on this project - almost like you had a personal fallout with JW and ended up on the loosing end.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
yeah, the hole there sucks. yet, i'm sure this project will come around sooner than later.

you've really had a singular and salty focus on this project - almost like you had a personal fallout with JW and ended up on the loosing end.
Nah I've never met the guy and I have entirely too much taste to live in any of his "communities."

Just tired of greedy developers with no sense of cohesive urban planning doing dumb things in Atlanta for no reason but to maximize their ROI.

Hideous, shoddily constructed expanses of Dryvit (e.g. Atlantic Station), overbuilt, overpriced condos that basically say "f*(k you" to traffic congestion and scarce natural resources... is this the best that Atlanta can do?

I think it's entirely possible for developers to make a buck without destroying the character and the livability of this town.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:24 PM

a very simple design . I hope it gets built though

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive