HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I've already explained why there will only be one grade separation at first. It's because they're waiting to build the St. Norbert bypass so that it can all be connected at once. Seriously, there isn't money for all of our wishes and dreams, and if that's all it takes to cause you to abandon this city, then maybe you should just go? Unlike Alberta, it seems that Manitoba is being relatively fiscally prudent, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
two

Last edited by Jets4Life; Sep 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if theres issues runing away does not solve nothing

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 3:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
No, it's more than that. I can list dozens and dozens of reasons to move west, but do not have the time.

It's only a matter of time before the hard times end in Alberta, and things get better. When that happens, I am leaving Winnipeg for good.
The future for this city has probably never looked better. The biggest problem is that people don't realize that, and you seem to be one of those people.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The future for this city has probably never looked better. The biggest problem is that people don't realize that, and you seem to be one of those people.
Maybe you are right. I just love Alberta.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 4:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

And I love Manitoba, and Im excited for the future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I really couldn't agree with you more.... when it comes to efficient roadways the city has fallen far behind. Adding interchanges along route 90 and Bishop Grandin would be a great addition.
Those would definitely be good thoughts for city projects.

I think the first priority should be getting the Perimeter up to a full freeway standard (although that would be a provincial project). Once the TCH is twinned to the Ontario border and the Morris and St. Norbert bypasses are done, the focus should change from twinning to interchanges along the TCH, Perimeter and Highway 75 (and parts of 59) as there are no large-scale twinning projects necessary (I don't see the Yellowhead needing it in the foreseeable future in Manitoba).

Along the Perimeter, clockwise starting in the southeast, here are where I would build new interchanges - a total of 12 of them of which AFAIK only two are planned:

St. Anne's Road
Highway 200/St. Mary's Road
Highway 75 bypass/Kenaston Boulevard extension
Highway 330
Highways 2 and 3/McGillvray Boulevard (combined into a single interchange)
Highway 425/Saskatchewan Avenue
CentrePort Canada Way/Highway 1 Headingley bypass (planned)
Highway 6
Highway 409/Pipeline Road
Highway 59/Lagimodiere Boulevard (north junction, planned)
Springfield Road/Duff Roblin Park
Highway 15/Dugald Road

Everything else should be closed or grade separated, and railway crossings (I count at least 9 of them) should be grade separated as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 6:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

remembers when highway 6 was an uncrontrolled intersection...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 7:46 PM

If you want to be financially prudent, do design/engineering/tendering of multiple interchanges at once, and get the wholesale price. There's no arguing that it all has to get done very soon anyways, why not set up a P3 model that Alberta's cities have used on their ring roads, attach a highway maintenance contract into the mix to hold the tenderer accountable for the next 40 years or so. Presto. Perimeter Freeway.

I think Winnipeg should obviously prioritize BRT/LRT, but if you're looking at upgrading road corridors to a free-flow standard, build ring roads, and not freeways extending outwards from the city, as these rings will prevent a buildup of sprawl extending outwards, but can densify areas within the city in close proximity to such a corridor. I'd say Bishop Grandin, Lagimodiere, Chief Peguis, and Route 90 should form the loop, and again, wholesale interchanges in a lease-back arrangement. Could do wonders for the impression people get when they visit Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Maybe you are right. I just love Alberta.
I'm from Alberta, and I think there's more to Winnipeg than meets the eye.

...Then again, the last time I said anything to you on this forum, I was arguing that there was more to Brooks, AB than meets the eye, so perhaps we just plain don't see eye-to-eye on a whole lot

In a sense I can see why you get frustrated at some of Winnipeg's decisions (compared to Edmonton/Calgary), but having lived in both areas you soon discover that there's things that each city does better than the others, but you definitely don't get it all in one particular location.

Then there's the whole personal perception of things... I get sick of Edmontonians inferiority complex and seeming unwillingness to do anything about their situation. Winnipeggers by comparison are fiercely proud of their city, and there's plenty to admire about that, even if they don't have piles of rapid transit or a few more traffic lights on their roads. Calgary on the other hand has plenty going for it, but they also love to let you know about it every chance they get, and that's quite annoying as well. Yup... each city has their strengths and weaknesses, but you work with what you've got.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and crime witch seems to be one of the bigest issues on our name lol but its going down

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:33 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Those would definitely be good thoughts for city projects.

I think the first priority should be getting the Perimeter up to a full freeway standard (although that would be a provincial project). Once the TCH is twinned to the Ontario border and the Morris and St. Norbert bypasses are done, the focus should change from twinning to interchanges along the TCH, Perimeter and Highway 75 (and parts of 59) as there are no large-scale twinning projects necessary (I don't see the Yellowhead needing it in the foreseeable future in Manitoba).

Along the Perimeter, clockwise starting in the southeast, here are where I would build new interchanges - a total of 12 of them of which AFAIK only two are planned:

St. Anne's Road
Highway 200/St. Mary's Road
Highway 75 bypass/Kenaston Boulevard extension
Highway 330
Highways 2 and 3/McGillvray Boulevard (combined into a single interchange)
Highway 425/Saskatchewan Avenue
CentrePort Canada Way/Highway 1 Headingley bypass (planned)
Highway 6
Highway 409/Pipeline Road
Highway 59/Lagimodiere Boulevard (north junction, planned)
Springfield Road/Duff Roblin Park
Highway 15/Dugald Road

Everything else should be closed or grade separated, and railway crossings (I count at least 9 of them) should be grade separated as well.

The highway 75 bypass and Kenaston, when they are joined, will (as far as I know) have an interchange, and an interchange is planned for Saskatchewan Avenue in conjunction with the CCW project, as far as I know.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no sask is suppost to just be a fly over based on the drawings that were posted a few months back then pulled

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
no sask is suppost to just be a fly over based on the drawings that were posted a few months back then pulled
True but still no light which is a positive improvement.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 9:54 PM
Heart of the Continent

I realize it's a flyover, but it's still grade separation. I don't really see a need for there to be access to the Perimeter there being that CCW and Portage are so close (never mind the lack of substantial traffic).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:55 AM

As for the rest of them, here is what I think the best designs would be:

St. Anne's - Parclo-AB2, all ramps on west side to reduce weaving (it would require realigning the service roads though).

St. Mary's/200 - Parclo-A4 (a slight realignment may be necessary to keep room for Frobisher Road; also St. Mary's should be widened to 4 lanes to the Perimeter at the same time).

Kenaston/75 - Cloverleaf with C/D roads or cloverstack (need a free-flow interchange in all directions)

330 - Parclo-AB2, all ramps on east side (to minimize realignments and prevent expropriation of the industrial plant)

McGillvray/2/3 - Parclo-AB3 at 3, no ramp in NW quad (some expropriation would be necessary, namely of the gas station in the SE corner). Access to 2 would be closed (shortened to the 3 intersection) as it would default onto the south service road.

6 - Parclo-A4, plenty of room exists and CentrePort would add traffic going north.

Pipeline/409 - Parclo-A3, no ramp in NW quad due to low traffic and additional expropriation.

Springfield/Park access - Diamond or Parclo-A3 with SW loop ramp and diamond ramps on north side (need to minimize encroachment); Springfield would need to turn north and meet up where Redonda ends.

Dugald/15 - Diamond (why they didn't build it with the twinning and floodway project is beyond me). Due to the floodway, the whole interchange would need to be elevated which would also clear the railway tracks.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Great thread, too bad its no longer about the Chief Peguis Trail extension.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Great thread, too bad its no longer about the Chief Peguis Trail extension.
LOL! True though. Where there's no news on the subject the conversation tends to drift. We need a Winnipeg Roads thread to carry this conversation in.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 1:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

In somewhat related, but otherwise off-topic news, they have already started grading an extension of Leila Avenue in Amber Trails, from Strasbourg Drive, to around Ritchie Street. If and when Chief Peguis Trail extends from McPhillips to Brookside, Leila Ave will intersect with it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:52 AM
BANNED

Peguis Trail done by 2009? Capital budget says yes
Money put aside for upgrade to Disraeli as well

Oct. 8, 2009

The City has begun tip-toeing towards extending Chief Peguis Trail to Lagimodiere Boulevard and other major capital projects in the area.

The City’s 2007 preliminary capital budget, released Jan. 12, pegged planning to begin on Chief Peguis Trail this year with major construction set to start in 2008 and end in the autumn of 2009.

The bridge connecting Henderson Highway with Main Street was completed 16 years ago as the first phase of a route designated in a 1960s transportation study that would provide an inner-beltway to move traffic across the city.

Currently, Springfield Road carries 16,000 cars a day, far more than it was designed to do said ward Coun. Jeff Browaty.

“Other streets nearby like McIvor and McLeod take far more traffic than they are designed to because there is no east-west route,” he said.

Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Services applauds the decision after they’ve expressed their concerns to the City about receiving higher call volumes in an area littered with speed-bumps and crammed streets.

Deputy chief Ken Sim said the service is currently comparing travel times to historical records and are looking for ways “that make life less challenging for us.”

“Any improvement to (using Springfield Road) we would support because as you know that’s a fairly heavily travelled street and it means us having to oftentimes not take the most direct route,” he said.

But the green light was given to other major capital projects as well.

The budget includes funding to the Disraeli Freeway rehabilitation project, a $91-million venture to improve the degrading roadway.

And Coun. Browaty also said the City’s planning property and development department set money aside for trail development, including the Marconi Trail, which a local grassroots group has been designing for months

The group presented its plan to the East Kildonan-Transcona community committee on Jan. 15.

“We’re very excited,” Sigrun Bailey, co-chair of the River East Neighbourhood Network Trail Committee said.

“It’s very good news for North Kildonan,” Coun. Browaty added.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan