HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 12:31 PM

Rider Express has been getting a lot of press lately for replacing Greyhound's Winnipeg-Calgary-Vancouver service. I took a look at their schedule and I found it interesting that the Winnipeg terminal is actually at the Flying J in Headingley. Kind of curious since it's a good hike, probably about 2 km from the nearest transit stop, and taking a cab from there to just about anywhere that isn't either Charleswood or Assiniboia would probably cost a pretty penny. So it's clearly a huge inconvenience to anyone who isn't getting picked up at the Flying J.

I thought it was a curious choice of terminal location and I wonder if it might have some impact on ridership to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:36 PM

The Winnipeg terminal...outside of Winnipeg.. with no transit service to get there. Right. Best of luck.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:53 PM
What could go wrong?

You would think this could be something the WAA would pick up on and utilize the former Greyhound Terminal much like they use the air terminal. A bunch of different carriers could rent kiosk and gate space just like a plane.

....i'm not sure if Greyhound still has use for that building though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
You would think this could be something the WAA would pick up on and utilize the former Greyhound Terminal much like they use the air terminal. A bunch of different carriers could rent kiosk and gate space just like a plane.

....i'm not sure if Greyhound still has use for that building though.
These new bus lines are all run on a shoestring... I doubt they'd want to pay to use the bus terminal when they could just use a gas station... in Headingley.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the bus terminal demolished since there's no one left to pay for using it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
These new bus lines are all run on a shoestring... I doubt they'd want to pay to use the bus terminal when they could just use a gas station... in Headingley.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the bus terminal demolished since there's no one left to pay for using it.
Does anyone who know who paid to build that terminal? Was it WAA as the landlord or Greyhound as the tenant?

I always assume that if there's a way for WAA to lose money, they'll find it

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:26 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ It was Greyhound.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:53 PM

Greyhound may have built it, but was it not heavily subsidized by the Provincial Govt from day one ?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:19 PM

Here's a few photos of the transit way just north of bishop and west of Pembina:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:23 PM

^She's a beauty.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:30 PM

@JaniceLukes :Great view of Pembina & Transit corridor expansion from #160 @winnipegtransit ! Can’t wait till 2020 & transformational transit !

https://twitter.com/JaniceLukes/stat...20867218771968

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Here's a few photos of the transit way just north of bishop and west of Pembina:

I was around there during the summer and that bridge is much taller than those pictures make it seem, like way higher than the over-pass on McGillivray... I would assume to allow train cars underneath?

Either way there are going to be some beauty skyline views from up there

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:18 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

As I don't drive, I am sometimes not aware of things.

Nice to see the Manitoba Sugar building still standing.

Are there any plans for it? Will it be removed as part of the "Sugarbeet Lands" developments (Industrial to Residential)?

It would sure be sweet (pun intended) IF Manitoba had its own brown sugar processing plant again.

Come on Pallister!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

I drive down Pembina quite often and I've never noticed the bridge in the above photos... those pictures are the first that I've seen the overpass. I think it's probably a bit off the beaten path, tucked well behind the buildings along Pembina.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I drive down Pembina quite often and I've never noticed the bridge in the above photos... those pictures are the first that I've seen the overpass. I think it's probably a bit off the beaten path, tucked well behind the buildings along Pembina.
It's just south of Chevrier

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Are there any plans for it? Will it be removed as part of the "Sugarbeet Lands" developments (Industrial to Residential)?

It would sure be sweet (pun intended) IF Manitoba had its own brown sugar processing plant again.

Come on Pallister!
There's all sorts of stuff going on at the sugar beets place. harris rebar and transport are in there. Lots of new buildings if you check google.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I was around there during the summer and that bridge is much taller than those pictures make it seem, like way higher than the over-pass on McGillivray... I would assume to allow train cars underneath?

Either way there are going to be some beauty skyline views from up there
Yes it is taller for train clearance. 5.3m for roads, about 7.1m for trains. There was a safety incident at this location. Someone fell from the new bridge..

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:05 PM

I'm sure this has been talked about on this forum before, but isn't it so stupid that the Fort Rouge rapid transit station has no pedestrian (or otherwise) access whatsoever to Pembina Highway? We went to all the trouble of building a rapid transit line, and even spent all the money on building this stop here, but can't build a pedestrian under/overpass to get access the the main thoroughfare/population/stores that the line hugs? Seems extremely silly to me...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I'm sure this has been talked about on this forum before, but isn't it so stupid that the Fort Rouge rapid transit station has no pedestrian (or otherwise) access whatsoever to Pembina Highway? We went to all the trouble of building a rapid transit line, and even spent all the money on building this stop here, but can't build a pedestrian under/overpass to get access the the main thoroughfare/population/stores that the line hugs? Seems extremely silly to me...
I think pedestrian access to Pembina would increase the usefulness of the RT station, no question. Although would it be enough of an increase so as to justify the significant cost once you factor in things like accessibility (elevators), security, etc.? That's a bit of a tougher call.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:20 PM
keep the good times going

I've thought about that many times... so many potential users/businesses on the other side of the tracks, much more than the fields of vibrant "TOD" lol

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:23 PM

As it is now, it seems pretty useless to me. I can't imagine that a pedestrian ramp would need a security crew. Something like:

this or this or this would do the trick beautifully, and don't require security guards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan