HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla1999 View Post
While the above doesn't prove or disprove anything...it at least shows that SA is inline with many other cities with NFL teams.
Uh, what it shows is that San Antonio was the poorest of any city except for Buffalo and New Orleans, and if we were talking about giving out an NFL team today, nobody would touch either one with a ten-foot pole.

It's even worse than I thought; I'd have figured Green Bay would be as poor or poorer than San Antonio. FWIW, and I'd have guessed parity with Jacksonville.

You need to run a comparison like this with other candidates for new teams for it to have any real relevance, of course.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 5:21 PM

San Antonio is 1.5-2 times bigger than New Orleans and Buffalo, so those aren't really good comparisons. Charlotte, KC, Cincy, and Cleveland are better comparisons, because their metros are around 2 million, like San Antonio.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:12 PM
robert die katze

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Why not just use facts and be done with it. Get rid of all these what if's.

What if's don't bring in any sports teams.
Amen.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
San Antonio is 1.5-2 times bigger than New Orleans and Buffalo, so those aren't really good comparisons. Charlotte, KC, Cincy, and Cleveland are better comparisons, because their metros are around 2 million, like San Antonio.
How is San Antonio twice the size of the New Orleans or Buffalo metro? New Orleans metro right now has 1.3 million. There are less people in the actual city, but it has sprawled out more since Katrina.

Charlotte, KC, and Cincy are all larger than San Antonio by a couple thousand.

Buffalo is not as large. It has 1.2 million in its metro, but the Bills are a historic franchise.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
How is San Antonio twice the size of the New Orleans or Buffalo metro? New Orleans metro right now has 1.3 million. There are less people in the actual city, but it has sprawled out more since Katrina.

Charlotte, KC, and Cincy are all larger than San Antonio by a couple thousand.

Buffalo is not as large. It has 1.2 million in its metro, but the Bills are a historic franchise.
New Orleans was 1.3 before Katrina. There are no perfect estimate since then, but many estimates are in the 1.1 to 1.2 million range now. That is just over half of SA's nearly 2 million. Buffalo is 1.1 mil as well. I said BETWEEN 1.5 to 2 times bigger. Also, SA is nearly identical in metro population to the other mentioned cities (highlighted below). In fact it is larger than Charlotte's MSA, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...opolitan_areas

23 Cleveland–Elyria–Mentor OH 2,126,318
24 Portland–Vancouver–Beaverton OR–WA 2,095,861
25 Cincinnati–Middletown OH–KY–IN 2,070,441
26 Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville CA 2,042,283
27 Kansas City MO–KS 1,947,694
28 Orlando-Kissimmee FL 1,933,255
29 San Antonio TX 1,889,797
30 San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara CA 1,754,988
31 Las Vegas–Paradise-Henderson NV 1,710,551
32 Columbus OH 1,708,625
33 Virginia Beach–Norfolk–Newport News VA–NC 1,647,346
34 Indianapolis–Carmel IN 1,640,591
35 Providence–New Bedford–Fall River RI–MA 1,622,520
36 Charlotte–Gastonia–Concord NC–SC 1,521,278
37 Milwaukee–Waukesha–West Allis WI 1,512,855
38 Austin–Round Rock TX 1,452,529
39 Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin TN 1,422,544
40 New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner LA 1,319,367 Before Katrina
41 Memphis TN–MS–AR 1,260,950
42 Jacksonville FL 1,248,371
43 Louisville–Jefferson County KY–IN 1,208,452
44 Hartford–West Hartford–East Hartford CT 1,188,241
45 Richmond VA 1,175,654
46 Oklahoma City OK 1,156,812
47 Buffalo–Niagara Falls NY 1,147,711

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 10:48 PM

Look at emporis man. They use updated numbers.

Cleveland - 2,931,774
Cincy - 2,135,593
Kansas City - 2,015,282
Charlotte - 2,124,013
New Orleans - 987,430 (was wrong about New Orleans)
Buffalo - 1,230,213

San Antonio - 1,889,797

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:41 AM

^Emporis is using outdated LRA population estimates for metro New Orleans. Most recent combined estimates by the parishes themselves and other local demographers put the metro New Orleans population at just over 1.2 million. The metro population is picking up very quickly, and by the 2010 census it will without a doubt be larger than it was pre-Katrina, even without the addition of Tangipahoa Parish and its 150,000 residents.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 2:46 AM

I don't think SA will ever get an NFL team because of the proximity of the DALLAS COWBOYS. I mean the Oilers had to bail, and who knows about the Texans.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:51 AM

Quote:
texcolo-I don't think SA will ever get an NFL team because of the proximity of the DALLAS COWBOYS. I mean the Oilers had to bail, and who knows about the Texans.
The reason Dallas has a huge fan base here in S.A. is because we don't have a team. Remember Cali, has 3 NFL teams and at one point had 4. So it can happen and it's just of matter of time when S.A. has it's own team.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Look at emporis man. They use updated numbers.

Cleveland - 2,931,774
Cincy - 2,135,593
Kansas City - 2,015,282
Charlotte - 2,124,013
New Orleans - 987,430 (was wrong about New Orleans)
Buffalo - 1,230,213

San Antonio - 1,889,797
OK, they are using CSA stats, instead of the MSA stats that Wikipedia uses. 2 different ways of figuring metro populations. But the point is that Cincy, KC, Charlotte, and SA are all in the same ballpark. Around 2 mil. give or take 100K. Cleveland is quite a bit bigger, apparently, at least by the CSA stats.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
The reason Dallas has a huge fan base here in S.A. is because we don't have a team. Remember Cali, has 3 NFL teams and at one point had 4. So it can happen and it's just of matter of time when S.A. has it's own team.
If SA ever got their own team, most people would drop the Cowboys so fast if would make your head spin.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 6:01 AM

^^I agree. Once they went to one game they'd be sold.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I don't get it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 6:27 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae
I don't get it.
I do. It's just like in Austin where we don't have an NFL team so the Longhorns here are HUGE. My neighbor throws a barbecue party every time the Longhorns play a game. They have Longhorn decals on their burnt orange colored Chevy Silveraldo and they even have Longhorn decals on their mailbox and fly those little window mounted Longhorn flags on their truck the week before every UT game. The Horns are huge in Austin, probably more so than any NFL team. I suspect that since San Antonio doesn't have an NFL team, or any college football, that they adopted the Cowboys as their favorite pick.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
KevinFromTexas-I suspect that since San Antonio doesn't have an NFL team, or any college football, that they adopted the Cowboys as their favorite pick.
Thanks Kevin. That's exactly my point. I think this also the reason why San Antonians get excited about UTSA possibly bringing college football.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kevin. That's exactly my point. I think this also the reason why San Antonians get excited about UTSA possibly bringing college football.
That'll be big for the city and university once that happens. It might even save the Alamodome.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 12:38 AM

Would be nice if it were on campus, though, but the Alamodome makes perfect sense.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned it. Having D1A and eventually D1 football at UTSA will be a terific boon for both the University and the city. It's a travesty that a city the size of San Antonio has had to wait this long for a big time college football program to emerge. But once it does, like the NFL it will be a huge hit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 12:20 AM
Meh

Quote:
Yep. And that's also why I doubt Austin will ever see an NFL team. The Horns here might as well be an NFL team. UT is so big here in Austin, atleast football-wise that we get our fill of football with UT. Now baseball and basket ball is a different story. The Frank Erwin Center which hosts UT basketball, only seats 16,000 and soccer seating at Mike A. Myers Stadium is around 20,000 and Disch-Falk Field which is for seats 6,649.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 6:54 PM

Has anyone seen the latest San Antonio Business Journal?

Alamo City may still have shot at landing Saints football team.

Here's some highlights from the article-

For one thing, the Saints are not yet locked into New Orleans for the long-term. In fact, Louisana Gov. Kathleen Blanco's office confirms that she is currently in talks with the New Olreans Saints in an attempt to covince the team to remain in the Cresent City beyond 2010.

Red McCombs says there is reason to be optimistic. McCombs says he is not certain that the Saints are currently "in play," but he does say there is enough reason for local leaders(S.A.) to keep their eye on the ball.

Has the window shut on the opportunity to bring the Saints back to San Antonio?
"No," McCombs says, explaining that are still plenty of uncertainties about the New Orleans region roughly a year and a half after Katrina slammed into the Gulf South.

"Im involved in businesses that have strong relationships in New Orleans," Mccombs says. "New Olreans still has some serious, serious issues that are life and death in a lot of ways.

Blanco's office reports that the Saints can opt out of their current Superdome deal as soon as March 31 of this year. To do so, the team would have to pay a hefty early-exit penalty.

Asked about the situation, Saints spokesman Greg Bensel, will only say: "We have no comment. We will...comment when we have something to report.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Saints spokesman Greg Bensel, will only say: "We have no comment. We will...comment when we have something to report.[/
That comment doesn't sound to convincing that the Saints will remain in New Orleans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio