HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Vote!
PC 17 36.96%
NDP 12 26.09%
Liberal 11 23.91%
Green 3 6.52%
Not voting/apathetic 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If the greens want to get series they need candidates in every ward. Not just Wolesley..
It's a tough grind because there are only two ridings in the entire province where the Greens are generally competitive, Wolseley and Fort Rouge. There might be a few other ridings where they crack 1,000 votes, but it's tough to sell people on being a candidate when you are likely to finish last.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
?? Pretty sure they ran with close to a full slate of candidates.

They went for it harder in Wolseley because that is the only one they stood a reasonable chance of winning.
Not in my ward, riding, whatever. Looking at their website, seems they did have a large number of candidates. They were absent in 14 areas.

I would've gladly voted for them instead of the usual. The guy I never see anywhere. Ever. I suppose I haven't sought out interaction with my local MLA. But never see any of the candidates.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:28 PM

I was just checking in my area (Elmwood riding) and the Greens had 24 more votes than the Liberal Candidate. 763 vs 739 which is not a lot for either party compared to the NDP and PC's.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was just checking in my area (Elmwood riding) and the Greens had 24 more votes than the Liberal Candidate. 763 vs 739 which is not a lot for either party compared to the NDP and PC's.
The Liberals struggle in a lot of ridings but there are several where they are competitive, especially in Winnipeg. They manage to get a small number elected every time, too.

That said, it is a small miracle that they manage to nominate a full slate every time given that most rural Liberal candidates (particularly in Southern Manitoba) have no hope.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Liberals struggle in a lot of ridings but there are several where they are competitive, especially in Winnipeg. They manage to get a small number elected every time, too.

That said, it is a small miracle that they manage to nominate a full slate every time given that most rural Liberal candidates (particularly in Southern Manitoba) have no hope.
I would think that many of those don’t actively campaign. Maybe they remember a bunch of their unknown no-hoper forebears who did the same thing and found themselves elected to the Legislature in 1988. Kevin Lamoureux has made a lifelong career out of that lucky break. As have Jim Carr and the late Reg Alcock.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I would think that many of those don’t actively campaign. Maybe they remember a bunch of their unknown no-hoper forebears who did the same thing and found themselves elected to the Legislature in 1988. Kevin Lamoureux has made a lifelong career out of that lucky break. As have Jim Carr and the late Reg Alcock.
With some of those rural candidates, I wonder if some of them even show up to the riding given that every election there are always Winnipeggers nominated to run for them (I've noticed from looking at the candidate lists that the Greens rely on this tactic heavily, and even the NDP does it to a more limited extent... only the Tories don't).

In an impressive example of taking one for the team, former Appeal Court Justice Charles Huband ran in Portage la Prairie where he basically managed also-ran status.

Winnipeg ridings are a bit of a different story as there is always at least a theoretical hope of a 1988-style breakthrough. Only one of the ridings that the Liberals snagged that year was rural, and given that it was Selkirk I'd say it barely qualifies for rural status.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:33 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
With some of those rural candidates, I wonder if some of them even show up to the riding given that every election there are always Winnipeggers nominated to run for them (I've noticed from looking at the candidate lists that the Greens rely on this tactic heavily, and even the NDP does it to a more limited extent... only the Tories don't).

In an impressive example of taking one for the team, former Appeal Court Justice Charles Huband ran in Portage la Prairie where he basically managed also-ran status.

Winnipeg ridings are a bit of a different story as there is always at least a theoretical hope of a 1988-style breakthrough. Only one of the ridings that the Liberals snagged that year was rural, and given that it was Selkirk I'd say it barely qualifies for rural status.
It was like after the 2011 federal election, when half the McGill NDP Club were suddenly MPs.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:35 AM
Starring as himself

In St Vital, the Green lawn sign I saw was just generic - it didn’t even name the candidate.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:16 AM

I read a piece on the candidates in the maples area on the CBC news website I think. There was a small blurb about the different candidates. There was an 18 year old running for green and she flat out just told them she’s a paper candidate just there as an option for people who want to vote green. lol. Something to be said for being honest I guess.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:58 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Also former MB Liberal Party leader from 1975 to 1978.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Also former MB Liberal Party leader from 1975 to 1978.
Isn't Huband like 100 years old by now? It would be like having Bernie as your MLA and I'm not talking about Sanders, more along the likes of the one from the movie that has Bernie in the title and the word weekend!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Elmwood keeps electing the do-nothing Maloway despite him never actually doing anything even when the speNDP regime was in power, guy trots out the same old cliches and prattles on about the Louise Bridge every four years at election time!

Is there is a more useless politician in Manitoba anywhere or at anytime ever?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Isn't Huband like 100 years old by now? It would be like having Bernie as your MLA and I'm not talking about Sanders, more along the likes of the one from the movie that has Bernie in the title and the word weekend!
At first I thought you were referring to the late, great Bernie Wolfe.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:55 PM

It's very much a case of taking one for the team, but for the younger candidates of a major party running in a hopeless riding, it's with hope that they'll be rewarded down the road... the nomination in a better riding next time around, a minister's assistant position in the meantime. The elderly fellow who runs as the Liberal candidate in the Winkler-Morden area or the dutiful old Tory in West Kildonan might actually believe in the cause (and hope for a miracle breakthrough), but you see a lot of aspirational partisan hacks running just so the party will recognize their effort later.

This might not have been an example of this, because Fort Rouge was wide open and the PCs put relatively serious resources toward it in 2016, but Audrey Gordon ran in Fort Rouge (which hadn't elected the PCs since 1969) there. Three years later, she had the nomination in a more likely Southdale riding, and won.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:55 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
He must be close to 100. His daughter was my Grade 8 teacher over 25 years ago and she was in her later 40s then.

Another bit of trivia. His son was the reporter from those Reese Peanut Butter cup commercials making fun of the UFO crop circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n5faRiDZ7s

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:12 PM

That is a seriously random factoid!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It's very much a case of taking one for the team, but for the younger candidates of a major party running in a hopeless riding, it's with hope that they'll be rewarded down the road... the nomination in a better riding next time around, a minister's assistant position in the meantime. The elderly fellow who runs as the Liberal candidate in the Winkler-Morden area or the dutiful old Tory in West Kildonan might actually believe in the cause (and hope for a miracle breakthrough), but you see a lot of aspirational partisan hacks running just so the party will recognize their effort later.

This might not have been an example of this, because Fort Rouge was wide open and the PCs put relatively serious resources toward it in 2016, but Audrey Gordon ran in Fort Rouge (which hadn't elected the PCs since 1969) there. Three years later, she had the nomination in a more likely Southdale riding, and won.
Dave Gaudreau ran as the federal NDP candidate in Winnipeg South, then the next provincial election won St. Norbert for the NDP

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Elmwood keeps electing the do-nothing Maloway despite him never actually doing anything even when the speNDP regime was in power, guy trots out the same old cliches and prattles on about the Louise Bridge every four years at election time!

Is there is a more useless politician in Manitoba anywhere or at anytime ever?
Janice Morley-Lecompte

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
He is 87 I think.

Great man. Devotes endless hours to the community and is more active than me, 45 years his junior.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
He is 87 I think.

Great man. Devotes endless hours to the community and is more active than me, 45 years his junior.
Don't care how accomplished anyone is but after age 80 no one should be running for public office, what did he think this is the USA!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan