HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Do you think Saskatchewan will be the next Alberta?
Yes 14 15.22%
Not a chance! 58 63.04%
its getting there...give it 10 years or so 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 5:48 PM
Pure Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
i agree with evreything that you are saying.. i am not a fool to belive over infalted nubmers put out by the government..i really dont see sask having a big amazing boom like alberta the ppl arnt here to sustian it.. are population prymid is very stretch.. lots of old ppl.. and lots and lots of kids ... in 20 years when those kids grow up will the have a fluorishing economy to dive into or a over stretched economy with high taxes etc....

i just really think sask will go through a boom but it wont be sask ppl gettin the money forign investors are comming in and gettin the benifits.. like how one person said ask ppl jumped on the alberta housing boom then came back.. yea some did but more alberta ppl NOW are buying up all the homes in sask and gettin even more money in there pockets.. i am a young person im 21 and i live in regina i dont see any oppurtunitys here otehr then its cheap to go to school.. once i have my education im out .. thats hte mindset of many.. nobody plans to grow old here

it seems that sask is stuck in the same rut as atlantic canada .. tehy relied on certin industrys like fishing and manufacting .. but now are in a econmic slump.. sask is still rellying on a dead agriculture industry and i kno the future does look brite for some hybrid spin offs like ethenal and wind power and other junk calvert is saying .. like i dont understand this game plan of sitting on your oil until the price is so skyhigh u qill be swiming in money.. or until alberta runs out reither or is gonna take 20 years.. i really dont kno if we will have 700,000 ppl in 20 years

uh, Saskatchewan actually has one of the strongest economies in the country....there is a huge shortage of skilled labour here....there has been sooo many projects cancelled because of a lack of employees. My department has advertised for 10 positions in the last 2 months.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 6:30 PM
Mooderator

I enjoyed Regina when I was living there. Great people, really down to earth - not like the phonies I currently associate with at my current job.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 7:05 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
My department has advertised for 10 positions in the last 2 months.

Tell me about it...

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Sask will likely (and hopefully) continue to improve it's economy but I don't ting you will see growth like you do in Alberta. Despite it's abundant natural resources and potential there are a number of factors that will hold it back IMHO:

1. Rapidly aging population. The average age in Sask is greater than Alberta and growing older at a rapid rate. This is accelerated by the number of young people moving out (if this trend can be reduced or reversed it will help). This will put an ever increasing strain on social services (which are taxpayer funded) meaning higher and higher taxes as the proportion of population that is working shrinks and the financial burden is placed on fewer and fewer workers.

2. Relatively high First Nations population. I believe it's one of the highest per capita populations in Canada. Not to be too negative here but the unemployment rate if very high in this demographic and a lot of them are moving to the larger cities. As in example #1, they put an ever increasing strain on services while contributing very little to payig for these services.

3. The mindset of Sask just does not seem to be condusive to an Alberta style boom. It just seems that people there want to rely on the government to provide for them much more than in Alberta. There is less of an entrepeneurial spirit in Sask it seems. My in laws live there and ALL of them work for the Sask government and are quite happy to do so. One even quite a great private sector job to go work for SaskTel as she didn't like the fact that she had to work OT once in awhile.

I don't mean to paint everone in Sask with the same brush but it's how I see it in general.
This kind of rhetoric is getting really tiresome. Firstly, Alberta would be in a boom even if it had a Communist government. Klein was probably one of the most innept, albeit charming premiers your province has seen and you still had a boom. If the AB government had planned for that boom at all (with all that oil in the ground, somebody would have guessed it was coming at some point) or had even reacted relatively quickly (ie. if the government had been a little more interventionist- don't faint, keep reading), the boom would be more sustainable. As it is, when the oil is gone, there are going to be problems. Witness the escalating costs of all that infrastructure which was delayed due to "fiscal prudence" despite the obviously growing need. You are now having to build hospitals, roads and transit for 5 times what they would have cost 5 years ago. If they had been built during slower econiomic times as per Keynsian economics, that building would also have helped the economy through those slow times. It also would have meant a larger standing workforce. As it is, the AB government cut when the economy was relatively weak and prices were low and is now forced to build when the economy is overheated and prices are exhorbitant.

Secondly, your point two offers the likely solution to point one. Namely, if we can help the first nations people who wish to integrate, better do so, through education and faccilitation of entry to the work force, they will actually be a huge plus because of their numbers and relative youth. Saskatchewan is sitting on a gold mine of natural and human resources. I only hope we don't screw up in capitalizing on it as badly as Alberta has. BTW, I lived in Calgary for 6 years and there are as many slackers there as there are here. It's just that in Alberta, they all try to take credit for the boom.

I only hope that Saskatchewan can be a little wiser in managing the boom than Alberta has been.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 4:25 PM
Gone

Dont forget diamonds

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Replace the word "Saskatchewan" with "Manitoba" and 90% of what you say is also valid for Manitoba. It's all about the mindset of people and the demographics, especially the aging population and the natives.

Let's hope this changes soon.
Manitoba also lacks Natural Gas, the Oilsands and billions of tons of coal bed methane.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:43 PM
I am a typical

They don't have peat, either.

Northern Ontario: Peat Capital of Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:46 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I'll stick with what we currently have thank you. If I wanted the stress of working huge hours to pay for an over priced box, I would move to Calgary.
I work for EnCana (Alberta's biggest O&G company) and get every second Friday off without working extra hours.

Vacation is also given based on age NOT years with the company.

20-24 - 3 weeks
25-34 - 4 weeks
35-39 - 5 weeks
40-49 - 6 weeks
50-54 - 7 weeks
55+ - 8 weeks

Not to mention the extra 24 fridays off every year. Thats a TON of vacation time (especially if you are over 40).

How many unionized shops do that?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 2:42 PM
Gone

He was probably talking about the people who don't have big jobs and don't make a huge amount of money.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 4:04 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormo View Post
He was probably talking about the people who don't have big jobs and don't make a huge amount of money.
EnCana has 7000+ employees all making varying amounts of money.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 5:32 PM
HVAC guru

^Ah yes, the illustrious oil company job.... I've got many friends in Calgary & Edmonton who work for oil companies, some of which are are little more than company flunkies, who enjoy the same perks as you. Many of those people have some delusions about what working a "normal" job entails.

Unfortunately, most of us work in non-oil related fields. Myself, I am deeply involved in the commercial & industrial construction industry, and my job requires many long working days due to the fanatic pace of construction in the province right now. Granted I am paid well, but lets not kid ourselves... stress & burnouts are major factors here right now, I see it in my employees and subcontractors, and read about it in the paper all the time.

I'm in Alberta for the money, no doubt about it. I'm making the best of it, after all this is my home, for now anyways. I'm finding more & more that my skills are in demand all over the country, Including Saskatchewan. I'm not ready to move....yet.... but when I do, It'll be to a place where the pace is less frantic, the wages are a little lower, and people are a little more realistic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan