HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 3:01 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

A. Why did the height get bumped back up with no explanation?
B. At least we'll have a 845' elevator bank

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
B. At least we'll have a 845' elevator bank

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
you know where I'll be

Have they finally dumped the condo-hotel concept?

From the premiere issue of Robb Report Vertical Living, "Checking in For Life" by Kim Fredericks:

"Originally, the developers of Mandarin Oriental planned a condo hotel component in their new project in Chicago, but decided against it and focused on selling the project's whole ownership condos as branded residences."

If only the other Chicago developers who are still stubbornly holding onto this failed concept would catch on as well...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 1:26 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

"branded residences"? Like "Wal-Mart homes" or what?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 1:35 PM

So what do we know about this project?...How tall will it be...is it still 74 stories? When will it start?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:24 PM
c h i c a g o

Who ever said that quote from the magazine must have been mis-quoted. The branded residences have always been there. They are the condos that get all the services of the hotel. You cant have them without a hotel. They have these "branded residences" in a few places with more on the way...

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hote...container.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
Mandarin Oriental Locks In Elevator Contract
earlybuyer, posting full articles from outside sources is not permitted on this forum. and you must provide a source link for every article blurb posted.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
Who ever said that quote from the magazine must have been mis-quoted. The branded residences have always been there. They are the condos that get all the services of the hotel. You cant have them without a hotel. They have these "branded residences" in a few places with more on the way...

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hote...container.html
I don't think the person was saying the developers are dumping the hotel, just the type of ownership structure they had originally intended. Clearly, the hotel is integral to this development as a whole....

Also, in other news, two dudes have been working on site the last few days - looks like they've maybe been doing some type of inspection/repair on the illinoiis center garage wall that abuts the site on the west....

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:12 PM

this building falls far below "thrilling"... I think it should be sacrificed for the health of other proposals. thank goodness I'm not in charge, right MO?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:17 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
this building falls far below "thrilling"... I think it should be sacrificed for the health of other proposals. thank goodness I'm not in charge, right MO?
Im thinking I'm with you on that one. I'd much rather see Park Michigan pull through.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:49 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Yeah, but they're not exactly nextdoor. This one is way more likely to succeed than Park Michigan imo.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 12:08 AM

I don't see how they can sell condos at these price points in that location. Tall buildings surround the MO site, it's not the greatest location since it's jammed in there between Illinois center and LSE. Why would you buy there when there are so many other better options? At least with Park Michigan you have unobstructed views of the park, lake, and skyline. If the developers of park michigan can start not sucking then I give it a better chance of survival over MO, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 1:09 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

But Mandarin fits right in a cluster. It doesn't have the views of say 340OTP, but its onyl a few blocks form the park and Mich Ave.

Park Michigan is far from a lot of things, despite having views.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:41 AM
Contemplator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
I don't see how they can sell condos at these price points in that location. Tall buildings surround the MO site, it's not the greatest location since it's jammed in there between Illinois center and LSE. Why would you buy there when there are so many other better options? At least with Park Michigan you have unobstructed views of the park, lake, and skyline. If the developers of park michigan can start not sucking then I give it a better chance of survival over MO, which isn't saying a whole lot.
Must of us skyscraper types would think these residences to be less desirable, but we have to keep a couple things in mind:
- The hotel rooms in the lower half will have lesser views, but they're just hotel rooms (where the interior amenities count the most, by far).
- The tower condos up top are going to see plenty of the lake (plus a breathtaking view of Aqua) and / or everything to the west. Aon & TwoPru will block Grant Park and not much more. In fact, views probably will have less obstruction than the bulk of the units in John Hancock.
- Ultimately, people live in these things more for what's INSIDE them than the un-obstructedness of the view. Plenty of cheaper lake views out there. It's all a consequence of a dense city.

And of course: This will make Lake & Stetson the Worlds Tallest Intersection.

PS - I love Park Michigan but this is the ritzier neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:16 AM
BANNED

^^^ Though I agree with you about the hotel really lifting the actual condos out of the cluster a bit, I don't think they will have anywhere near the unobstructed views of the Hancock. The condos there don't even start until floor 45 there. And that's after 43 floors of office, which means its the equivelent of like 60 floors of residential. The only buildings that actually take a bite out of even the lowest floor in that tower are 900 N Michigan, Water Tower Place, Park Tower (even though its super skinny), and to some extent Oylmpia center or whatever that red thing is called.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 12:36 PM

So what the hell is going on with this...Why is it taking so long to break ground...They have enough contracts i would think so that funding should not be an issue...IS it still the permits?...I just want this building to start already!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:12 AM
devout Pizzatarian

so i think it might be high time to officially remove the "site prep" designation from this project and bump it back down to proposed, unless anyone can give me a good reason not to.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:35 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

its really pretty?

(i agree)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Completely off topic, but thanks for quoting me in your signature Alliance!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 6:23 AM
Marina City

I just walked by the site tonight. Unfortunatly, no sign of anything happening there except for some graffiti is now on the signposts next to the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive