HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: What is the second most urban US city after NYC?
Boston 3 5.00%
Chicago 28 46.67%
DC 0 0%
LA 6 10.00%
Philly 7 11.67%
San Francisco 16 26.67%
some other city 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:01 PM
Pay it Forward

Once we get to the level of urban'ness' of places like Chicago and SF, it's somewhat silly to ask which is more urban, because they are about the same.

Being larger makes you larger, it doesnt necessarily make you more urban in the context we're talking about here.

That's like asking which of two pregnant ladies is more pregnant. LOL.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:08 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It's an interesting phenomenon that DC clearly belongs in the immediately-below-New York tier along with all these other cities, but there's not much case for it being #2. If you care mostly about a large expanse of never-ending urban neighborhoods, DC holds its own against SF or Boston, but can't measure against Chicago or Philadelphia. If you care mostly about peak density/urbanity then DC holds its own against Chicago & Philly but can't measure against SF or Boston.

So I might object if anyone said DC doesn't belong in this discussion at all, but even I don't think there's much case for it being number 2.

That said, since we're now on page 14, if we wanted to ID categories in which DC had an argument for number 2, I can think of two: Transit ridership and size of downtown. WRT transit, DC, Chicago, and SF are clearly above Boston and Philadelphia, with year-to-year and raw-vs-per-capita differences. WRT downtown size, DC vs Chicago are well ahead of the others, and the choice between them is the peak vs area difference again, but this time Chicago has the peak instead of the area.
I wish I had included Philadelphia in this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Some Urban Area stats to consider:

2018 Urban Areas by workers commute on public
transit:

561,936 Chicago 13.1%
415,845 Washington 15.1%
360,479 San Francisco 19.4%
339,222 Boston 14.2%
307,704 Los Angeles 4.9%

Chicago and LA have near identical percentages of solo drivers in their Urban Areas, DC and Boston are actually closer to LA by percent than they are to SF, which is nearing the point where solo drivers will no longer be the majority of commuters.

2018 Urban Area commuters who drive alone to work:
4,615,408 Los Angeles 70.8%
2,923,800 Chicago 68.2%
1,726,820 Washington 63.0%
1,545,268 Boston 64.9%
996,595 San Francisco 53.8%

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:10 PM

I do not understand an argument for LA even being in the discussion. What classically "urban" features does it have on a large scale?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This thread is SSP in a nutshell: city vs. city (subtle and not so subtle) and shameless homerism. But we already knew that.

I haven’t read through the entire thread, but the comments about LA not feeling “big” and that it’s akin to Dallas/Houston in lacking the “city feel” were hilarious. I commute to work mainly by transit (LRT, HRT, and BRT), and experience a “hustle and bustle” consisting of packed (standing room only) trains, people speed walking to catch their connections, etc.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:53 PM
你的媽媽

SF has voted to ban private vehicles from a 2 mile stretch of Market St.

Quote:
Here is what Market Street will look like car-less, according to newly approved plan
By Dianne de Guzman, SFGATE Updated 3:00 pm PDT, Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The plan to make Market Street a safer thoroughfare for pedestrians and cyclists who traverse the street each day has been a work in progress. But on Tuesday afternoon, SFMTA unanimously approved the Better Market Street Project that would push private vehicles off a 2-mile stretch of Market Street.

But what would that exactly look like? Although removing private vehicles — including Lyft, Uber and other rideshare options — from Market Street should help reduce the amount of traffic and vehicle-involved collisions, Muni buses will continue to operate along on that street, and taxis will be able to use the roadway as an option, as well as paratransit and commercial vehicles.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:12 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hmm, this thread makes me want to walk the whole length of Clark St. one of these days... maybe some Angeleno can walk down the length of Wilshire, a Philadelphian can walk down Broad St, a Bostonian can walk down Beacon St. and a San Franciscan can walk down Mission St. We can each keep count of the number of pedestrians we see.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

What if you're not a 'people' person? The city with the least pedestrian activity wins?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I do not understand an argument for LA even being in the discussion. What classically "urban" features does it have on a large scale?
35 miles from Willis Tower (Chicago City Limits):

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9128...7i16384!8i8192

35 miles from US Bank Tower (Los Angeles City Limits):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2354...7i13312!8i6656

That said, you are correct on one hand - Los Angeles and Chicago are not at all comparable from an urban perspective.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:30 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post

35 miles from US Bank Tower (Los Angeles City Limits):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2354...7i13312!8i6656
Oh boy... uh, buddy... that's the town of West Chicago that you linked to, not Chicago.

Also, the place you highlighted in Los Angeles is only 20 miles from US Bank Tower as the crow flies, not 35, according to the google maps distance measure tool. So... try again, I guess?

That being said, I actually agree that Los Angeles definitely deserves to be in this discussion and is vastly underrated when it comes to it's overall urbanity. However, your attempts at proving whatever it is your point is, at least with respect to Chicago specifically, are pretty damn weak thus far, it must be said.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Oct 17, 2019 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

that's actually only 28 miles west of the sears tower.

here's downtown Geneva, IL which is actually 35 miles (as the crow flies) almost due west of the sears tower.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8879...7i16384!8i8192

and this is 35 miles (as the crow flies) NE of library tower in LA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4624...!7i3328!8i1664

man, isn't cherry-picking fun!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Also, the place you highlighted in Los Angeles is only 20 miles from US Bank Tower as the crow flies
1) That ^ is factually incorrect.

2) Who (as in what human) the fuck takes "as the crow flies" into consideration as a real-world, meaningful measurement of distance?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
here's downtown geneva which is actually 35 miles (as the crow flies) almost due west of the sears tower.
Cool story considering the initial discussion involved urbanity within city limits.

"Geneva is a city in and the county seat of Kane County, Illinois, United States. It is located on the western side of the Chicago suburbs."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:45 PM
Future God

Quote:
1) That ^ is factually incorrect.
Why do you do this to yourself? Any one of us can click on your link and do the measurement for ourselves. So my source is google. What's yours?

(*To those who don't know you can right click on any location, and click on the last option in the box and basically draw a line to another point.)

Quote:
Who (as in what human) the fuck takes "as the crow flies" into consideration as a real-world, meaningful measurement of distance?
Uh... everyone?? ... except you of course, but likely only when it isn't useful to your argument. Of course, when you actually draw out a measurement between the two points you outlined using the roads it would take to get there (up the 101 freeway etc.) it's roughly the same distance anyway, so I have no idea where you got 35 miles from. Just kidding, obviously you made it up.

For the record, not that it proves anything useful, but if we're playing that game, this is what is actually 35 miles from downtown Los Angeles in the same direction as you were going:

https://goo.gl/maps/jQNMSPA28HuVNe4R7

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Oct 17, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:47 PM
Future God

Quote:
Cool story considering the initial discussion involved urbanity within city limits.

"Geneva is a city in and the county seat of Kane County, Illinois, United States. It is located on the western side of the Chicago suburbs."
So then why are you posting pictures from wooded areas on the outskirts of small towns in Kane County, Illinois to prove your point (whatever that is)????? You're really, really not good at this. I know... facts are hard.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
then what is your (extremely belabored) point?

the first google map link you posted of something allegedly 35 miles from the sears tower wasn't in chicago city limits either. that was in the suburb of West Chicago, IL

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
So then why are you posting pictures from wooded areas on the outskirts of small towns in Kane County, Illinois to prove your point (whatever that is)????? You're really, really not good at this. I know... facts are hard.
So, Kane County, or DuPage? You're really, really not good at this. I know - facts are hard.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
then what is your (extremely belabored) point?

the first google map link you posted of something allegedly 35 miles from the sears tower wasn't in chicago city limits either. that was in the suburb of West Chicago, IL
So West Chicago, IL isn't in the Chicago city limits, but West Los Angeles, CA is in the Los Angeles city limits.

Makes sense.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
So, Kane County, or DuPage? You're really, really not good at this. I know - facts are hard.
It really is amazing how confused you are - West Chicago is not the West Side of Chicago, it is a separate Jurisdiction completely separate from the City of Chicago. It's not even in Cook County.

aaaaaand this thread has officially become worthless. Seems to happen a lot when a certain J from NYC enters the conversation...

Future God

Quote:
Yep, it's on the edge, but for the purposes of this discussion it doesn't really matter. You're not answering my question... I wonder why that is. Could it be because you're wrong to a comical degree but your ego is too fragile to admit it?

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions