HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO | The Cellars | 124 FEET | 10 FLOORS | Under Construction

This is on the HDRC agenda and the HDRC has recommended approval.

This is going up directly across from the Pearl hotel, now under construction.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 1:47 PM

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I know we're all excited for what Graham Weston has planned for downtown. But Kit Goldbury doesn't get the proper appreciation or acknowledgment for what he's down for the urban core.

Him buying the pearl as it sat abandoned, then not rushing into some big development but instead slowly developing it with the main focus on the culinary arts has not only transformed the pearl and the immediate area but its ushered in a level of development never before seen in the urban core.

It's f'ing great to think we have two billionaires so devoted to the urban core of San Antonio. You can't say that about much if any other cities. Be proud.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:35 PM

Awesome, it's good to hear more development going on in that part of town.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 PM
Meh

That elevation looks like it says 85 feet, but I would think it would be taller than that being 10 floors. Also if you go on Google Earth and view the 3D drawing for the old Pearl Brewery building, it measures 128 feet. That residential building in the rendering is slightly taller than that old building. I'm not sure by how much, but I held up a piece of paper to the screen using the rendering to see how much taller, and it's maybe a few feet taller.

That's turning into a really interesting area.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That elevation looks like it says 85 feet, but I would think it would be taller than that being 10 floors.
It will be 124 feet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:38 AM

If you zoom in a bit, it says 123' 3".

First floor is 20'; 2nd-8th floors are 11'3" and 9th and 10th are 12'3".

According to the agenda notes, this is the last major piece of development for the Pearl site. I guess across the river is technically not the "Pearl" site although it is being developed by the same.

Keep it going SA.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:54 AM
Meh

Oh ok, I didn't see the link at first. Thanks. That's a highrise for sure then.

Where was that link posted on the city's website? I've been able to find a lot of building heights for Austin lately by viewing the site plans for projects. Surely San Antonio must have something similar. I would really love to be able to complete my building height list for San Antonio.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:51 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Wow. Everything about this last phase is incredible. I especially love the bottling building marketplace. Very cool.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 1:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

I love it. The style is perfect for the area. The one detriment in my opinion is the Shamrock Pavilion. Looks like an unfinished parking garage. Otherwise the whole thing looks great.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
But Kit Goldbury doesn't get the proper appreciation or acknowledgment for what he's down for the urban core.
He definitely is under-appreciated. He couldve done a lot of less interesting things at that site, but Pearl is a beautiful and focused development that is 100% unique to San Antonio. It's pulled SA in the direction we needed to go.

This is an amazing and fitting last phase for Pearl.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:53 PM

It's definitely not the last phase of the pearl. Possibly the last large development for the original pearl site but I know Kit wants to build a museum and more residential. I'm assuming it would be built on the land Silver Ventures (Kit's development company, pearl owners) owns across the Riverwalk.

Also, there's some parking areas in the current pearl that could one day be the sight of development.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 4:04 PM
Paradise

It looks awesome and I think it's the start of even more great things. The Cellars might even push the demand for taller buildings in the area and I love the look of the plaza.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh ok, I didn't see the link at first. Thanks. That's a highrise for sure then.

Where was that link posted on the city's website? I've been able to find a lot of building heights for Austin lately by viewing the site plans for projects. Surely San Antonio must have something similar. I would really love to be able to complete my building height list for San Antonio.
Sorry, no such thing.
Here is the link for the HDRC where this pdf is located.
The HDRC yanks them off every 15 days so if you don't save it, it gets lost in the vaults in the basement of the Alamo.
E-mail someone at the city though; they are usually pretty responsive at whatever information you request. I'm sure someone has access to that info, but it surely isn't the public.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:07 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

This is way too cool folks. I've watched from afar (Houston) as the Pearl district and surrounding area has transformed from run down to totally chic. I used to drive by this area in high school and imagine what I would have done with the old brewery, and this is beyond what I ever could have dreamed for it. Congrats to y'all on a fine fine development and keep it up SA. Definitely my fave city in Texas to this day.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
It looks awesome and I think it's the start of even more great things. The Cellars might even push the demand for taller buildings in the area and I love the look of the plaza.
Definitely agree with you on the demand for taller buildings going up. Maybe 8-10 floor buildings will start being the new norm instead of the usual 4.

The project is going to look so nice when it's finished!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:04 PM

It appears that these will be rental. I kind of thought these might be condos, but then maybe that's not what they ever had planned for the Pearl if it will be a destination.

It's good to see the underground parking and the green space; especially all of the trees. Also, what the bottling building becomes as a "food business incubator" could be interesting. How does that relate to the farmer's market? Maybe they move it near there for synergy?

As far as what the Pearl has become and the credit it gets, it's ambitions have certainly exceeded what I thought it would become. They are trying to do for food what Weston hopes to do for high tech. I really hope they both have continued success. It's great for the city to have these kinds of leaders.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:12 AM

Here's some additional information on future plans for the Pearl. Some 800 residential units planned for the land they own across the river.

Quote:
Once those projects are complete, the original Pearl campus will be entirely developed. But Silver Venture's plans don't end with the 30-plus acre redevelopment.

The firm is looking to build up to an additional 800 residential units to the west of the San Antonio River, at the former sites of Oak Farms Dairy, a motel and a nightclub. Shown said Silver Ventures isn't looking to start that project this year. But after they're built across the river from the Pearl, the firm's residential footprint in the area would reach about 1,200 units.

Combine that with other residential projects going up along the Broadway corridor, near the Pearl, and the figure jumps to nearly 2,500 units.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...up-4254393.php

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:11 AM

So there seems to be two future condos planned for the parking lot next to La Gloria.

This was posted five days ago on the American Institute of Architecture website because the Full Goods building was named one of the best green developments in the country.

So either those are newly planned and haven't been announced yet or since Silver Ventures said the hotel and 10 story residential (the Cellars) would be the last projects for the main Pearl site, they could have moved the two condo towers to the land they own across the River and plan to development.

But it's odd that AIA posted this pretty recent site plan and it includes two condo towers.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 3:37 AM

They did start out (a few years back) showing that it was not going to be a parking lot forever, but then, just like you said, the agenda stated that the "Cellars" would be the last. Maybe the parking lot isn't technically part of the original "Pearl" property?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:57 PM

Recommend title change to

The Cellars | 10 Floors | 124 feet | Proposed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio